Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCFE vs. IADT (Animation College)

Options
  • 21-02-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I am in fifth year and would love to study animation in college and pursue a career in the field :D

However I am having difficulty deciding which college is best, IADT (Dun Laoghaire) or BCFE (Ballyfermot).

I have been lucky enough to talk to some great animators about this like Richard Baneham, some of the guys in Brown Bag Films and a few others. The only problem is that they all love their own colleges so much that they found it hard to give me an unbiased opinion :confused:

From what I am hearing BCFE used to be the best but now some good teachers from there have moved to IADT and IADT have changed their course to be much more similar to BCFE's course. Also the facilities are better in IADT although it is easier for me to get to BCFE.

I have thought a lot about this but still can't come to any final conclusions.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out and give me their views of the two animation courses and colleges?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

People coming straight from leaving cert 9 times out of 10 have to do ADS the one year animation drawing studies course in Ballyer....this would prob be your better option as it means you will get a good idea of both animation as a career and ballyer as a college and you will also get a FETAC cert at the end of the year. It's the option I rec to people as it's far better then starting a 3 or 4 year course and dropping out after a year...at least you'll have something at the end of the year. Animation courses do have a high drop out rate at the start as loads of people think it's a good career without understanding the amount of work involved.

By doing ADS you'll get your basic drawing skills up to the level needed for animation, you'll get a portfolio together and can then apply for the 2 year diploma at Ballyer and/or IADT's program. Also if you decided while on ADS that animation isn't the career path you want they will help you direct your portfolio towards an area your best suited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robdabeaver

I agree, do ADS its well worth it.

Yeah IADT looks alot nicer, big canteen.. the animation department isnt that swanky though. but its all about what you put into the course.

And.. I went there for a talk, they have one scanner for like 50 people! WTF? The courses are different aswell, IADT have small group projects or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Animad

Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely apply for the ADS course but I would really rather get straight into a degree course.
    Although if 9 out of 10 leaving cert students do the ADS course I will probably end up there.
    I am going to work hard at my portfolio for the next year and if I don't get a degree course I will be happy to do the ADS course.

Thanks again for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Animad wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely apply for the ADS course but I would really rather get straight into a degree course.
    Although if 9 out of 10 leaving cert students do the ADS course I will probably end up there.
    I am going to work hard at my portfolio for the next year and if I don't get a degree course I will be happy to do the ADS course.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Hi there, just wondering if you applied for the ADS course in Ballyfermot as I was hoping to apply for it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jilliesmother

I have a 10 year old daughter who is very talented at making clay animations. She has a passion for it but I have no idea if there is a career path that she can head down doing what she loves. If anyone knows of any camps or what she could major in college with these skills I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I have a 10 year old daughter who is very talented at making clay animations. She has a passion for it but I have no idea if there is a career path that she can head down doing what she loves. If anyone knows of any camps or what she could major in college with these skills I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank You

I would check out the model making degree(not usre if they still do the degree course tho) course in iadt, they make great stop motion films and models even the animation course i know some people do stop motion / claymation type stuff.

Advertisement