Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in spain and then rio later on?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Living in spain and then rio later on?
    I'm not sure if this is in right section, am new to the site.

I'm thinking of spending a month or 2 in spain soon. Does anybody have experience of living there?

Barcelona or Madrid appeal to me, but i think they could be very expensive?

Dont have spanish but would like to learn some.
    Plan is to maybe head to rio de janeiro later in the year but i think some spanish could be helpful and spain would help climitise to the heat. i know its not portuguese but they are somewhat similar i think and spanish is easier to pick up

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Barcelona & Madrid are both going to be comparatively expensive. If you plan on working while you're there you need to be very selective about where you choose to go as unemployment is very high in Spain at the moment. You will also need to decide whether you are planning on immersing yourself in Spanish culture or not, as different regions have different levels of cultural diversity (including ex-pat communities).

It's also worth pointing out that if this is geared towards heading to Rio De Janeiro, you might be better off going somewhere in Portugal and picking up some Portuguese (if you don't have it already) as Portuguese is the national language in Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

Hi

I learned some Portuguese in the recent past, and while the written version of Spanish and Portuguese are close, the pronociation of words is very different. To be honest you would need a good grasp of Portuguese in Brazil as English is not widely spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 RIODEJ

thanks for that, i heard portugese sounds like an eastern or russian language sounding language instead of the other latin accents/dialects like italino or espanol/spanish

Whats with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

RIODEJ wrote: »
    thanks for that, i heard portugese sounds like an eastern or russian language sounding language instead of the other latin accents/dialects like italino or espanol/spanish

Whats with that?

that is mostly because the 's' at the end of words is pronounced very harshly, and not softly off the top of the tongue like in the other latin languages. you will notice this straight away. Saying that the Portuguese spoken in Brazil is spoken with a different accent and is very musical and nice on the hear, whereas the European Portuguese sounds almost Eastern European.

Advertisement