Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techno/Tech house sample packs...

Options
  • 21-02-2010 5:12pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been looking around for what seems like days trying to find some good sample packs.....but all i'm finding is rubbish!

anyone got any links to some good free sample packs for the above genre's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Check out - http://www.soundstosample.com/

Not free - But they have a lot of samplepacks that wont break the bank.

You can search by genre & listen to the demos.

Future Music & Computer Music normally have lots of genre related samples.

FM usually has demos from sounds to sample's roster.

Next months CM is a Techno Special - Has a couple of thousand samples.

Maybe wait until then if you dont want to splash out :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

thanks very much!

I haven't even heard of computer music.....have you got a date when it should be released? Will i be able to pick it up in my local Easons?

Mid March-ish I'd say Man.

Easons is the place to get them.

Computer Music - http://www.computermusic.co.uk/

Future Music - http://www.futuremusic.co.uk/

thanks very much man!

I'll head in to my local tomorrow and make sure they can get em in!

downloaded a couple of packs off sounds/to/sample....top notch stuff!

Just really wanna build up a collection of stuff really, be nice to have a choice.

Free Wave Alchemy samples for CM blog readers!

That’s right, the sample-sculptors at Wave Alchemy are offering CM blog readers a whopping 150 free samples from their Drum Tools 01 – Minimal Techno & Tech House library

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=VGlkd0VEMGNEbUxIRGc9PQ

The 18MB download includes kicks, hats, claps, toms and FX - everything you need to make your own groovy minimal beats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

eeloe wrote: »
    Been looking around for what seems like days trying to find some good sample packs.....but all i'm finding is rubbish!

anyone got any links to some good free sample packs for the above genre's?

try to limit your sample pack collecting (especially regarding anything with the words tech-house in the titles). 99% are absolutely terrible.

ones to watch out for are the riemann kollektions and the sample magic stuff. both very good starting points.

Thanks very much man!

I'll download that in the mornin'

Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

+1 - Reimann Collection, Wave Alchemy Drum Tools / Machines and Samplemagic are the best in the business for the type of music your aiming at.

Reimann Collection is more on the tech house side and contains oneshots and loops. Lots of nice percussion loops.

The Wave Alchemy Drum Tools more on the techno side and is mostly one shots (but loads of them). They've sampled lots of analog drum machines: Jomox, Vermona etc through some decent equipment. There's lots of unique stuff here that will help make your productions more original.

I personally rate these 2 above the SampleMagic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

1) get more samples than you know what to do with. Spend hours sampling everything you can get your hands on. I don't think we've ever had a CD that we couldn't get at least one sample off. Try and avoid stuff you would naturally gravitate towards. Get unusual stuff.

2) When sampling, check especially the start and ends of things. Loads of good stuff there. Middle 8's / breakdowns too

3) Once you have 100000000's of samples, find one that you like and get a loop of some sort going. It doesn't matter if you get rid of this sample later. You just need something to give you a key etc.. to work around.
    HINT - you should like this sample so much that you can listen to it for 7 hours straight without getting sick of it. If you can't do that, it's probably not the right one.

4) Once it's looping, audtion millions of your other samples over the top of it. If you stumble across something that you think might work, load it up and try tuning it. If you don't get any joy in a couple of minutes BIN IT. If it you can get it in tune do some surface ****ing around with it. e.g. Try it an octave up or octave down / reverse it - that sort of thing, just to see what happens. You can do more complex stuff later. Don't bother right now.
    If it more or less works carry on with the process until you have more stuff than you need all layered together.

5) Now you have loads of stuff that all more or less works together you can carry on with the track and start ditching the less good stuff.

6) Let the core sample (whatever it is you've ended up with) dicate the rhythm / bassline / feel of the tune. For this reason it's better to start with a sample of some sort, rather than beats etc...

The key to this is working very fast. If something's not happening straight away ditch it and move on. DO NOT spend hours tweaking something you're not 100% convinced about - and bear in mind that even when you're 100% convinced about something, you'll mostly be 75% wrong.
    If you're overworking a sample because you don't have anything else that might work better, you need to stop writing the track and go and do more sampling.

note: when i use the term 'sample' I mean something meldodic / harmonic / tuned / rhythmic rather than a film dialogue sample or something. Don't bother with all that sort of fannying around till much later, if at all.

Remember - when a woman gets dressed to go out, she co-ordinates her underwear LONG BEFORE she starts ****ing around with mascara

Sterling advice from one of my favourite producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Which producer as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GenericPeopleDj

cheers for the yousend it link!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Anima wrote: »
    Which producer as a matter of interest?

Written by one third of the lads from Blu Mar Ten.

I see from that other breakbeats thread that you pop on to Dogsonacid every once in a while - have a root around for post by him on the grid, inspirational stuff, he hates talking about geeky production stuff but all the advice he gives about the practical side of getting inspired and getting motivated and being creative is 100% spot on. His username on there is blumarten

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

http://www.clickproduce.com/

Hundreds of sample packs and new ones are being uploaded all the time, some from huge stars like Deadmau5 and Jim Rivers. Cover all genres. Most aren't free, but you can download a sample pack of each for free with a good amount of sweet loops inside. I haven't paid for anything on that site yet, but have still used a lot of loops from there in my tracks.

Advertisement