Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doctor Who Soundtrack

• 21-02-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Saw a few posts on this topic cropping up now and again! So thought we could have a thread on it!

To be honest, I'm a fan of Murray Gold's. I own the soundtracks of the new series and in isolation. There are wonderful pieces of music on there like "Father's Day", "Doomsday" and "Donna's Theme"
    He also combines two of my most favourite things... Neil Hannon and Doctor Who! :D

But, like many of ye on here, the music levels on the programme are ATROCIOUS! The music comes in at the most inappropriate of moments and at significant volume! I remember having to watch Planet of the Dead with subtitles because I really could not catch what was being said. It annoyed me so much I had to e-mail the BBC in my anger! Judging from the finale they didn't take much notice...

To be honest, I mush prefer the music overall in Torchwood. There's a much better balance!

So do you feel the same?
    Are there any pieces by Murray Gold you really enjoy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I actually disagree, I've never found the music in Dr Who to be intrusive. Not for me anyway.

My favourite piece of Murray Gold magic had to be the 'epic' version of The Doctor's Theme when DT regenerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

He reworked that brilliantly alright! That's a gorgeous piece of music!

I wonder will we have a new Doctor's theme? But we've had the same for the past 2 doctors...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not a fan of it at all generally, but mostly because it's so intrusive that I'm just cursing at it rather than listening to it. I found the pieces OTT, reeking often of the same self-indulgence the show can become mired in. When compared to say Bear's work on "Battlestar Galactica", there's a galaxy and an epoch of a difference.

I would like a new version of the theme too - something more minimalist, less orchestral-with-kitchen-sink version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

By and large, how did you find the music in the new trailer ixoy? Would you be happier if it was along the same lines?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

By and large, how did you find the music in the new trailer ixoy? Would you be happier if it was along the same lines?

Did anyone beside me cop the old theme is still used in the newest trailer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Did anyone beside me cop the old theme is still used in the newest trailer?
    Right at the end, yeah. I meant the rest of it :)

Personally, I want an electronic DW theme.

The DW theme is part of electronic music history. I'd love for some respect to be shown for that. The orchestral theme is great for bombast, but it doesn't capture the etherealness for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Personally, I want an electronic DW theme.
    +1. My favourite mix is the synthesizer version from the Davison era (and end of Tom Baker).

[EDIT]Actually what about Orbital's excellent Doctor Who remix? That'd be great![/EDIT]

ixoy wrote: »
    +1. My favourite mix is the synthesizer version from the Davison era (and end of Tom Baker).

[EDIT]Actually what about Orbital's excellent Doctor Who remix? That'd be great![/EDIT]

Personally for me it is McCoys but I have a thing for the 80's and that version is VERY 80's. :)

I'd love Orbitals remix to be used... as long as it has the first Doctor promising to come back at the start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

dont forget the subduded and gloomy versio during trial of a timelord.

my favourite will always be the early 80's verson, as i got it on a tape called "space Invaded" which was a collection of BBC theme tracks related to sci fi - The incidental music to The Leisure Hive was on it and is very cool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have never liked the new soundtrack, though mostly my complaints have been the volume, rather than the content. It is obnoxiously loud in places, hitting the audience over the head with a sledgehammer - THIS SCENE IS SAD, YOU WILL BE SAD NOW! - and for me frequently jolting me out of the scene or emotion I'm expected to be experiencing. Some of the actual content has actually been quite catchy & tuenful, but when the volume's all the way up at 11, it jars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm still wondering when the latest re-working of the Doctor Who theme will get used in the series :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog

Advertisement