Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psu help

Options
  • 21-02-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

hi a friend is going to be building his new pc this week but he needs a psu i was looking at this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686 and this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350470 im liking the coolmaster because its modular and 520 but i know corsair are great . i use the 620 modular in my rig. his set up will be i5. the rig will be overclocked witch im sure will mater any help choosing will be great cheers

mobo gigabite ud3

cpu i5

gpu hd5770

ram 4gig ocz ddr3 1333mhz

hydro h 50

case antec 1200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hmm im not sur hopefully someone can answer this for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

massy086 wrote: »
    hmm im not sur hopefully someone can answer this for me

The VX450 should be fine.The 5770 only sips power.Just make sure it comes with the right connectors.

There's defiantly enough power in the VX450,I ran my setup off a HX450 for about a month no problems,and a Q9550 + 4890 is ALOT more power hungry than an i5 + 5770

any thought,s on the coolmaster psu deano

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK they're high-end (which is good) AcBel units (which... isn't so good). On balance they're okay but only the Enhance-based Real Power units (nearer the 1kW mark) are much cop. The Corsairs are probably better.

will the corsair 450 be enough to overclock with power wise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

massy086 wrote: »
    will the corsair 450 be enough to overclock with power wise

definately yes, without a doubt. theres plenty of juice left over. the i5 and 5770 are real power savers.

cheers for that cherrygost

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Should be unless its extreme stuff. A VX450 can produce 396W (33A) on the 12V rail. An i5-750 need an absolute max of 95W under Turbo and a HD5770 will have trouble hitting 80W under FurMark, and won't usually exceed ~60W under full 3D load unless its Crysis :rolleyes: You wouldn't expect the system to creep much past the 150W mark when gaming or 200W when under severe CPU+3D load.

Of course we're really gunning to keep the system around ~225W when gaming for maximum peak-load PSU efficiency but as that value is closer to 150W on average there's tons of room for an OC in there ;)

Advertisement