Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap phone for when you are out cycling on the bike (or in the pub!)

• 21-02-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I came across it in the bargain alerts originally which shows how it can be bought from My Memory for around €20 delivered. It seems they were on sale in UK Tescos before Christmas and came under great demand after pretty decent reviews. I just got one so that I don't have to care about looking after my good phone while out on the bike in all sorts of conditions (although saying that, my old trusty Sony Ericsson K750i is 3 years old yesterday but only after new housing, rebuilding it a few times and a lot of superglue!).

It's pretty basic I know but when you consider the obviously low weight (EDIT: 47g) and dimensions (80mmx50mmx10.3mm) I can't see how you can go wrong. The Weight Weenie is finally coming out in me (although not as bad as the guys who cut down their house and car keys as small as possible to save weight. My home haircut during the week saved 20g :p)

23339_1266400199.jpg
    105787.png
    105788.png

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I came across it in the bargain alerts originally which shows how it can be bought from My Memory for around €20 delivered. It seems they were on sale in UK Tescos before Christmas and came under great demand after pretty decent reviews. I just got one so that I don't have to care about looking after my good phone while out on the bike in all sorts of conditions (although saying that, my old trusty Sony Ericsson K750i is 3 years old yesterday but only after new housing, rebuilding it a few times and a lot of superglue!).

It's pretty basic I know but when you consider the obviously low weight and dimensions (80mmx50mmx10.3mm) I can't see how you can go wrong. The Weight Weenie is finally coming out in me (although not as bad as the guys who cut down their house and car keys as small as possible to save weight. My home haircut during the week saved 20g :p)

That's brill, I do carry a different phone when cycling, I just put my main phone on divert to my cycling phone but when I screw this phone up, I know which one I'll be replacing it with.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

youve been had, thats a calculator.

another victim of knifey spooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

That same website have a specific cycling section actually. I have ordered from them once or twice at this stage, usually electronic goods/gadgets but I'm sure it won't be long before I get something cycling related like my favourite chain lubricant which is cheaper than CRC actually! Dirt cheap basic helmets and bike computers to name a few, ideal for beginners looking for cheap stuff! :)

5% off everything using BACKFORGOOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just one thing to watch out with them is that its a Jersey based company so anything over a certain ammount could be stoped for duty and vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Stokolan wrote: »
    Just one thing to watch out with them is that its a Jersey based company so anything over a certain ammount could be stoped for duty and vat.
    The phone at least is just under the threshold (€22.)

• Advertisement

I received my one today and I have to say it is much better than expected. It has a good bit more than just text and calls which you wouldn't expect like different profile settings, calculator, alarms, call records, text forwarding etc. I even took it out on the bike and coverage seemed great. The only thing I was worried about was sound quality of the calls because of one or two dodgy reviews but it is as good as if not better than my good phone on both ends. Screen is actually quite good, easy to read and navigate and rubbery buttons are spaced out nicely which helps if I am wearing gloves! The only thing I would have against it at the moment would be the predictive texting (which can easily be changed to normal text input) but may just take a while to get used to. Besides that, I wouldn't mind a bit of vibration alert and I will have to wait and see how the battery life holds up. Overall, well impressed and anyone who I have shown it to is just amazed by it (weight even more so than size) and say that everybody should have one!

One quick question! The phone comes with one of these Vodafone SIM card packs (or you can go for the 02 version which I never saw when ordering) but will these work in Ireland or are they UK only SIM cards? It doesn't seem to say it on the SIM card box and I don't want to break the seal by opening it up to find out incase I will have to sell it on. The only reason I have suspocion is because the SIM cards on that site are both advertised with price plans in £ and p (O2 coming with £1 credit) but mentions UK network..:confused:..I'm confused, please help! ;) CHEERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Another option for the cheap phone on the bike:

Picked it up during the week at the carphonewarehouse on Talbot Str for €30. Unlocked and with O2 sim card.

108029.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ziploc bags are cheaper.

Lumen wrote: »
    Ziploc bags are cheaper.

They don't work! As I found on Sat. Anyways i think it was combo of moisture and mechanical vibration that got the last one.

72hundred wrote: »
    Another option for the cheap phone on the bike: €30

I win!!! 47.1g and €22 and a lot smaller...but crappier (although I have actually been using it as my permanent phone since I got it without any problems!) :D

108031.jpg
    Lumen wrote: »
    Ziploc bags are cheaper.

An even cheaper option here if you want, this one looks like it actually resembles a phone! £17.09 〜 €19.08 (use "backforgood" voucher again!)

23563_1266916094.jpg23563_1266916095.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got one of those VX1s myself, arrived very quick, thanks hb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a little wallet with a sealed pouch for a phone, works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

72hundred wrote: »
    Another option for the cheap phone on the bike:

Picked it up during the week at the carphonewarehouse on Talbot Str for €30. Unlocked and with O2 sim card.

Yep, that's what I use, and the battery seems to last forever in it. I never even turned it on for a couple of months and the battery was still nearly full:D
    Ok, it's not waterproof, but a few wraps of clingfilm sorts that out!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have a little wallet with a sealed pouch for a phone, works a treat.

Actually that's something I'm looking into getting it... is it waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

How do you switch phones - do you have to remove the SIM every time??

Clydes wrote: »
    How do you switch phones - do you have to remove the SIM every time??

Yea which takes exactly 5 seconds. Remember its handier to have your contacts on the SIM card if you want 'em on the cheap phone.

Advertisement