Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage TREATMENT TANK - constantly ON, now a problem..

• 21-02-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello,

I'll do my best to explain the situation. This is what we have:

Treatment tank => Envirosafe from Kingspan Enviromental.

Inside the top of the tank is a box with
    a) a Secoh air pump and
    b) a Shako valve with a Shako valve timer

We moved into our new house about five months ago. Our ESB bills haven't levelled off yet because of under-estimates and over-estimates etc. and our last bill was huge. I'm not saying the treatment tank is the only culprit but someone suggested I put a clock timer on the power going to the treatment tank. I did this but unfortunatley didn't realise that I shouldn't have timed the treatment process to power off for too long. What happened was we had a malfunctioning toilet and when it was left running it filled the treatment tank so much that the water level in the tank rose too high and got into the box into the Shako valve timer and knocked off the trip switch for the power going to the tank (two weeks ago).

After investigating, the Secoh air pump was fine but the Shako valve timer seems to have came out the worst). I had to dismantle the valve timer and dry off the water from the plug and pins etc. Got the power back again ok to the tank and the air pump is running fine, causing the bubbling in the tank etc. The next bit is where I am confused.

I didn't mention the 2" pipe sticking up (inside the tank), before all this happened, the valve timer used to come on every 15-20 seconds and make water bubble up and splash out of this pipe. However this doesn't happen anymore. It seems the actual circuit board within the valve timer also got wet and now the timer is not working, it's not coming on intermittently like it should.

Basically I think I have a half working treatment tank and don't know how serious it is to have only the air pump working (I don't even know what the role of the valve timer is and what water splashing up out of that pipe means). I could take out the valve timer, break it open and have a look at the electronics inside but it doesn't sound good to me.

I would be greatful if someone could tell what I should do?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ollielaroo wrote: »
    We moved into our new house about five months ago

Any chance your system is still under guarantee? - if so ask for a service man to come and have a look and sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Thanks Donna, I got my hands on a replacement 'Shako valve timer'. Now the treatment process is running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

a bit of advice for you: leave the air pump on all the time, the bacteria need air to live and reproduce. No air = No Bacteria = No Breakdown of solids.

I put a meter on mine last year, it uses a very small amount of power.
    On the other hand a leaking tap or toilet will have your water pump cutting in and out constantly, thats 2 pumps if you have a well and a pressurized system. Not to mention the extra salt you use if you have a water softener.

Advertisement