Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what stores sell sim free phones

• 21-02-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

are there any bricks and mortar stores that sell sim free phones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yes. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Believe it or not.. Tesco sell SIM free phones now. Mostly low end Nokia phones, along with budget Motorola and Samsung. The brand has a green box with a leaf logo of some sort.

The prices are ok, not great, for instance, the Nokia 1208 is 29.99 euro. Sim free.

---

Just to pre-empt a question, the 'Tesco version' of the Nokia 1208, for 19.95 euro, cannot be unlocked, at the moment, as far as I know. The phones originate from Hungary and have a custom firmware and encryption, specific to the Nokia 1208 sold under the Tesco Mobile brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

Amalgam wrote: »
    Believe it or not.. Tesco sell SIM free phones now. Mostly low end Nokia phones, along with budget Motorola and Samsung. The brand has a green box with a leaf logo of some sort.

The prices are ok, not great, for instance, the Nokia 1208 is 29.99 euro. Sim free.

---

Just to pre-empt a question, the 'Tesco version' of the Nokia 1208, for 19.95 euro, cannot be unlocked, at the moment, as far as I know. The phones originate from Hungary and have a custom firmware and encryption, specific to the Nokia 1208 sold under the Tesco Mobile brand.

nothiung wrong with the price but are they sim free or not. im confused by your post.

thanks for the power city link. i just seen in the paper that harvey norman sell them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Yes, they are SIM free.

The reason I added the bit about the Tesco Mobile brand non SIM free Nokia 1208 sold alongside the SIM free models, is that they are selling it for 19.95 with 500 Tesco points. You might be tempted to buy and unlock, because it is such a good offer, but the Tesco branded Nokia 1208 have been modified specially for Tesco, you cannot unlock them at the moment.

• Advertisement

thanks, i understand now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

estreetb wrote: »
    are there any bricks and mortar stores that sell sim free phones

Dunnes Stores have a small range of them in most stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If they're valid questions, what's the problem??

mind your own business. your not a mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

in the good old days every phone shop used to sell them but then they got greedy with their network kickbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Most Harvey Normans have a couple of models, usually low end Nokia and Motorolas

Advertisement