Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best MPV for €4k?

• 21-02-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to find a friend a decent MPV for €4k. They won't do huge miles, 15k/year and they have 4 young kids under 6years old.

This is a sector of the motor industry, I've never looked at, but from what I can see an 02 Zafira seems to be a good choice?

What options are out there? Reliability and safety would be top of the priorities.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Zafiras would probably be the best bet for the money, however much I dislike them.

Only other thing I can think of with a reasonably sized engine is a Fiat Multipla or a 1.7 litre Honda Stream

you'll get 2.0 Galaxys for that money
    Or a 1.8 Kia Carens (3 rows of 2 seats, newer ones 7)
    Peugeot 806 diesels are cheap and vanny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

they'll have to leave one of the kids at home with a Picasso, Bazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    they'll have to leave one of the kids at home with a Picasso, Bazz

Lol, thought they were a 7 seater too back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, thought they were a 7 seater too back then.

I think the Zafira was the only 7 seater in the segmnt back then . I'm probably wrong though :)

• Advertisement

If you're talking small engined 7 seaters - unless you count yokes like the 1.6 Nissan Serena there wasn't a whole lot out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    unless you count yokes like the Nissan Serena!

oh jeebus....I'd prefer to sell an enfant than buy one of those ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

slightly off track but You can get 7 seater 307 estates fairly cheap. They get slated in the press for reliablity but anyone I know who had one had no problems. I've never liked Zafira's they are very narrow, and personally any Opel's we've had have not had the greatest reliablity either. The Fiat Multiple has almost no boot. The Hyundai Trajet is another option.

At 4k you'd be looking for the best condition you can get, rather than a specific model.

With 4 kids I think I'd look for a Galaxy or a 806. Your going to need as much space as you can get.

Multipla has a 430 litre boot (minimum) A Zafira with 6 seats up will have much less than that.

by comparison a Passat has 485 litres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your right my bad. Dunno why I thought it was small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

It's pushing it aq bit, but you might get a 00/01/02 Hyundai Trajet for that. BIG BIG seven seater. It's a van with windows, and two proper seats in the back row, which is where it should be, and not the boot. The bootspace ain't huge, but we manage with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roan1

Hi - we have a 04 Diesel Trajet and overall a very good car - best small boot space you will get for these types of 7 seater.

ALso the VW Sharan we looked at but better value with the Trajet. They sometimes get serious gearbox problems which ours is now just getting so might ahve to replace gearbox which is approx €1000 but got it at a good price in medrlin park motors with this in mind last year.

Boring but good. The wife thinks its very bloody boring !

Advertisement