Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-national, Polish I think selling his hand-made toys

Options
  • 21-02-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Has anybody come across a guy selling hand crafted toys door to door?

I am living not far from Galway City and this guy came selling really lovely hand crafted toys.....but waste of time at my house since there are no kids. Felt a bit bad not buying one. Ranging in price from 12 Euro upwards..... seems genuine enough.

I hate this guilt trip......especially when someone is making an effort! Still, I don't want to buy something which will only become a dust collector!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Um, usually people would say not the Dublin forum......not the Galway forum.

Even if you won't use them why not buy one if they are so nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

hand crafted dildos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    hand crafted dildos

Are they made to measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

rarnes1 wrote: »
    hand crafted dildos

Are they made from wood? Be a nasty splinter:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They're probably imported from China for about a €1 each, most of these door-to-door sellers with "hand-made" paintings/toys e.t.c. sell cheap chinese made goods made to look hand made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Bought sketchs from a man who must have been about 100 years old :D

You dont have to feel bad you dont want to buy then you dont have to.Door to door sales such as that is illegal and tax free :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

caseyann wrote: »
    Bought sketchs from a man who must have been about 100 years old :D

You dont have to feel bad you dont want to buy then you dont have to.Door to door sales such as that is illegal and tax free :mad:
    Afaik very very small business like that can't be taxed. I amn't 100% sure on that but that's what I've heard.

In any case, that "sketch" you bought was probably made in a factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Afaik very very small business like that can't be taxed. I amn't 100% sure on that but that's what I've heard.

In any case, that "sketch" you bought was probably made in a factory.

Yeah you dont know much they make per door per estate :eek:

Haha i didnt mind,And he looked like he needed few teeth :)

Galway Forum
    >
    Thata way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Galway City forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Any and all income can be taxed, there are PRSI contributions at the minimum, and if he's making more than around 8 or 10k a year, the lower band rate of tax applies on amounts above that. Needs to be declared one way or the other, especially as revenue is leaving no stone unturned these days, even looking at classified adverts and post it notes on public notice boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

suitseir wrote: »
    Non-national, Polish I think selling his hand-made toys

Um, I believe the politically correct term these days is "foreign national" :). I remember Matt Cooper taking some politician or other to task for saying "non-national" (about 5 minutes are Matt stopped using the offending term himself!!!)

Advertisement