Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaim forestry land

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

newmug wrote: »
    Thanks Greenfingers. How much would 1 hectare of conifers earn for you?

€427/hectare/year for 20 years if you have a herd number.....what part of the country (roughly) are you in? the forest service inspector in your area may not let a small area go ahead without a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

i planted 1.2 ha last year all hardwoods ,had no hassle being accepted
    when they say you have to be a farmer in order to qualify for the higher grant what does that mean ?
    is it just a active herd number ?
    do you have to have a active herd number for the duration of the 20 year grant ?

i planted 1.2 ha last year all hardwoods ,had no hassle being accepted
    when they say you have to be a farmer in order to qualify for the higher grant what does that mean ?
    is it just a active herd number ?
    do you have to have a active herd number for the duration of the 20 year grant ?

farmer grant is higher, for example spruce pays farmer 173/acre but pays non farmer 73....ash pays 195 v 79.....oak pays 208 v 79.
    and non farmer payments are for 15 years instead of 20.
    yes an active herd no qualifies a farmer.
    no just has to be active for first payment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

i just inherited 40 acres of oak forestry only 3 years planted ,it was good land whats the chances of reclaiming it ,i reckon the last land owner got bad advice

I know this a late reply but I feel its worth stating all the same. The 120 year rotations for oak is probably only an estimate on poor soils or when there is poor thinning. In the States when oaks are properly managed on good soils they can be harvested in 60-70 years. Ireland has far higher productivity rates then North America, and even 36% higher than the UK in specifically broad-leaf forestry. Oak is a ring porous timber so the faster it grows the denser it is, so it’s win win. Oak is undervalued as a crop IMO. If anyone has any corrections on this I would be interested to hear them.

robp wrote: »
    The 120 year rotations for oak is probably only an estimate on poor soils or when there is poor thinning.

the whole point being that the soils offered up for oak more often than not are poorer than what is considered to be decent agricultual land. no doubt the rotations would be shorter if oak was put on far better soil but it isnt the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

anyone know of a way to avoid paying back the premiums or if any exemptions apart from planting other land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Massey10

razor8 wrote: »
    anyone know of a way to avoid paying back the premiums or if any exemptions apart from planting other land?
    If you find a way let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

i just inherited 40 acres of oak forestry only 3 years planted ,it was good land whats the chances of reclaiming it ,i reckon the last land owner got bad advice

Did you ever go ahead with the reclaiming?

Advertisement