Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internet problem?? help?!!

• 21-02-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Guys
    Lately i got a virus on my laptop in which it downloaded a program called internet security 2010..anyways ran avg which got rid of virus.. But now even though my laptop will connect to internet it wont load any page!!
    Has anyone come across this before??
    Thanks guys:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

what type of internet connection you have?
    in 90% of the cases your ip settings in addapter settings are change by a virus.
    just tune them or go to automatic. call provider for details if static ip or their gataway or dns needs to be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Fifibella wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Lately i got a virus on my laptop in which it downloaded a program called internet security 2010..anyways ran avg which got rid of virus.. But now even though my laptop will connect to internet it wont load any page!!
    Has anyone come across this before??
    Thanks guys:)

Rebuild. Generally when anything happens like this no Malware/AV Removal application will fully cure the problem. There are always side affects even after removal.

Backup your data, Install OS from scratch and all the drivers then use something like Norton Ghost to image the drive. That way if you get infected again you can just restore to that clean image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Rebuild seems a bit excessive I have seen this before and to get rid of it took maybe 5 minutes or so, what I done to get rid of this....if it's created a desktop shortcut, right click on the shortcut, goto properties and make note of where the exe is running from, following this reboot in safe mode with cmd prompt (hit F8 on boot) using the cd or change directory command browse to the directory then use del followed by the name of the file, if you're having trouble with the command prompt there's a good list of commands and explainations here http://ss64.com/nt/ if this works run a full virus scan after and be wary of downloading weird programs lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Rebuild seems a bit excessive I have seen this before and to get rid of it took maybe 5 minutes or so, what I done to get rid of this....if it's created a desktop shortcut, right click on the shortcut, goto properties and make note of where the exe is running from, following this reboot in safe mode with cmd prompt (hit F8 on boot) using the cd or change directory command browse to the directory then use del followed by the name of the file, if you're having trouble with the command prompt there's a good list of commands and explainations here http://ss64.com/nt/ if this works run a full virus scan after and be wary of downloading weird programs lol.

I always rebuild if I find an infected machine. God knows what other registry changes malware/virus's make. There's all sorts of other things malware can infect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    I always rebuild if I find an infected machine. God knows what other registry changes malware/virus's make. There's all sorts of other things malware can infect.

Which is fine and will fix the issue but you won't learn anything by doing so, registry entries can be fixed and really reading into the problem, question why it happened, what it's done and how we get back into our original state is very helpful and educational and will make future problem solving with computers as you'll have the experience and worst comes to worst if you mess around too much you'll end up reinstalling anyways but at least in the end you'll have learned something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

try resetting your internet explorer settings - tools - options - advanced - reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

To fully remove the malware/ virus a good tool to use is combofix. Download it from another computer and run it from a USB key on the affected computer.
    Check your network settings, setting everything to Auto Detect i.e. IP Address, DNS etc generally works just fine. Find the settings by going to Network Settings in the Control Panel and selecting the TCP/IP Properties from the Properties dialog of the connection you use for the Internet.

If you're not comfortable with making changes to your computer, feel free to give us a call for one of our services at Teleport.ie.

All the Best,
    Patrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

patchrick wrote: »
    To fully remove the malware/ virus a good tool to use is combofix. Download it from another computer and run it from a USB key on the affected computer.

Only issue there is you might risk transferring the virus onto your USB. Firstly I would run a command prompt and see if you can ping any sites. If so then it's a case of IP/DNS settings being changed, as mentioned above. This happened to my neighbours laptop not so long ago. If you boot into safe mode with networking, you should be able to connect to the net and downoad malwarebytes. Also a good idea to run rkill before malwarebytes. Fixed my neighbours laptop no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

mordeith wrote: »
    Only issue there is you might risk transferring the virus onto your USB.
    Very true, its always a good idea to format your USB key after using it on an infected machine.
    mordeith wrote: »
    If you boot into safe mode with networking, you should be able to connect to the net and downoad malwarebytes. Also a good idea to run rkill before malwarebytes. Fixed my neighbours laptop no bother.
    rkill sounds like a useful app, never had cause to use it myself but will check it out. Malwarebytes is pretty good but I've often see it miss stuff that combofix will take care of.

Patrick

Advertisement