Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible hot water pressure

• 21-02-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

hi folks, hopefully someone can help here! Basic story, live in an upstairs flat and the gas boiler is downstairs......the pressure for the hot water is terrible. Any ideas what I can do to increase this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

can you explain the situation a bit better?

"Pressure from hot water is terrible" ??

What hot water? Is it hot water to bathroom taps or the hot water to radiators? Where is hot water cylinder for bathroom taps-just for process of elimation?

Do you have access to the downstairs or do you live in a seperate flat on the upstairs of bulding?!
    Do you own the flat or just renting it? If renting phone landlord.

Basically, I think the circulating pump for boiler is not strong enough to pump the hot water upstairs at a reasonable pressure-or it maybe stopped working.

The only way to rectify this is to get a gas plumber.........www.regii.ie list of registered gas plumbers in IRL ie can give you a cert for any work done ie not a cowboy.....well,within reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

im renting. its a 2 story house, slpit into upstairs and downstairs flats. boiler is at front door and stairs from there take you up. just the hot water from taps and shower....takes an age to fill a sink for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't think of any way someone renting could improve such a problem. Water pressure can be boosted with a pump but they and the installation can be expensive. It is really something for the landlord to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

im renting. its a 2 story house, slpit into upstairs and downstairs flats. boiler is at front door and stairs from there take you up. just the hot water from taps and shower....takes an age to fill a sink for example.

The hot water usually comes from a copper tank (or called hot water cylinder) so the gas boiler is seperate to the hot water for the bathroom-but it does heat the water in the copper tank.

However,the gas boiler has nothing to do with getting the hot water from the copper tank to your bathroom. Can you explain how far from the bathroom is the copper tank/hot press? On the same floor/beside bathroom?

It sounds like the water pressure needed to get the hot water from the copper tank to the bathroom is the problem. The may be a air lock in hot water pipes or if the system is like this all the time (how long have you been living there?) then a pump would be needed. But a plumber is really needed here to diagnose the fault.

But as the other person stated this really is up to the landlord and not your responsibility to sort out. You should get on the phone to the landlord and give them an earful. By the sounds of it,its incredable that this sort of house renting conditions still exist.......unless the landlord is just unaware of this problem but really you should get on the phone quick and not be wasting time on here posting!

Btw,what age are you?! I really wouldn't stick this for long if I were in your position!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your situation sounds normal and I reckon if your renting there will be nothing you can do except move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement