Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you complain....

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine went to a spar shop in galway earlier today.

she bought 5 pack of meanies - 1 euro
    2 yoghurts- 69 cent each
    mcvities fruit shortcake biscuits - on offer for 1 euro between feb 1 st and feb 28th
    a packet of 80g hazelnuts - don't know price but saw a heavier bag of hazelnuts from the same manufacturer in the shop for 1.90 (so i'll estimate around 1.50 for this bag)

I CHECKED ALL THE PRICES IN THE SHOP AND HAVE VERIFIED ALL ARE CORRECT

she was charged 6.90 for the above purchases and she didn't buy a bag, SHE WAS NOT GIVEN A RECEIPT.

It was about 2 euros more expensive than expected, my friend only noticed this afterwards

Should my friend have gone back and confronted the person who sold the items? Is it common practice to not give a receipt for a small amout of purchases? Is there any way the person working in the shop could benefit from this overcharge?

I know this is only a minor thing but I hate the thought of my friend being knowingly conned. She is a really nice person and would never confront anybody over minor stuff like this. Moreover the salesperson was not of Irish nationality and my friend didn't want to have any possibility of this becoming a race/ethnic issue.

Again I know it's only a few euros but what if it's commonplace and goes on all the time, or maybe it's just some kind of innocent pricing error. I don't know but would you complain in this situation? Has anything like this ever happened to you and how did you handle it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

donfers wrote: »

2 yoghurts- 69 cent each
    mcvities fruit shortcake biscuits - on offer for 1 euro between feb 1 st and feb 28th
    a packet of 80g hazelnuts - don't know price but saw a heavier bag of hazelnuts from the same manufacturer in the shop for 1.90 (so i'll estimate around 1.50 for this bag)

she was charged 6.90 for the above purchases and she didn't buy a bag, SHE WAS NOT GIVEN A RECEIPT.

It was about 2 euros more expensive than expected, my friend only noticed this afterwards

Should my friend have gone back and confronted the person who sold the items? Is it common practice to not give a receipt for a small amout of purchases? Is there any way the person working in the shop could benefit from this overcharge?

I know this is only a minor thing but I hate the thought of my friend being knowingly conned. She is a really nice person and would never confront anybody over minor stuff like this. Moreover the salesperson was not of Irish nationality and my friend didn't want to have any possibility of this becoming a race/ethnic issue.

Again I know it's only a few euros but what if it's commonplace and goes on all the time, or maybe it's just some kind of innocent pricing error. I don't know but would you complain in this situation? Has anything like this ever happened to you and how did you handle it?

She should go back and say something as it could be something as simple as a pricing error with the scanner thingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

It's possible the sales person keyed them in wrong on the till. They don't usually give receipts, I had a problem with this in a centra once when the sales girl mis-heard my request for tobacco and gave me the wrong brand. The manager was called over and said he couldn't change it because there was no returns on tobacco and I had no receipt. I was still standing at the counter and hadn't opened it! I stood my ground for about 15 minutes arguing with them until the line of people behind me got so irate they starting shouting 'Give the girl her ****ing tobacco or we'll call the police'

Yes, she should complain, both about getting overcharged (which could have been an honest mistake) but also that she wasn't given a receipt. They should give a receipt, what happens if your product is gone off when you open it, you've no proof you bought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

dafunk wrote: »
    It's possible the sales person keyed them in wrong on the till. They don't usually give receipts, I had a problem with this in a centra once when the sales girl mis-heard my request for tobacco and gave me the wrong brand. The manager was called over and said he couldn't change it because there was no returns on tobacco and I had no receipt. I was still standing at the counter and hadn't opened it! I stood my ground for about 15 minutes arguing with them until the line of people behind me got so irate they starting shouting 'Give the girl her ****ing tobacco or we'll call the police'

Yes, she should complain, both about getting overcharged (which could have been an honest mistake) but also that she wasn't given a receipt. They should give a receipt, what happens if your product is gone off when you open it, you've no proof you bought it there.

Love that: Give the girl her ****ing tobacco or we'll call the police:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway => Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Without a receipt, it's hard to say whether or not the items were correctly priced. Additionally, as you said yourself, you don't know how much the hazelnuts cost - I find that anything other than peanuts can be quite expensive.

You are legally entitled to a receipt, so get into the habit of asking for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

ive noticed alot of Centra stores not giving receipts with purchases, you have to ask. They also dont update their till systems with 'special deal' prices that often and overcharge and find myself remembering the amount per item when going up to the till..so if it flashes up @XYZ i know where i stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

donfers wrote: »

2 yoghurts- 69 cent each

Maybe the McVities offer is not properly on the till, your friend could ask the shop. You verified all the prices in the shop but you had to estimate the price of the nuts? Your friend would need to get the actual price before raising the issue. There is probably a notice in the shop advising customers to check their change before leaving. For the sake of €2 if it was me I wouldn't bother but if your friend can pick up her courage and go back there is no harm in asking. It will have to be her not someone else on her behalf.

Advertisement