Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperate Club Forums

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Okay that sounds fine Iago. But I may not be around for that. I think the arguments have been made at this stage so you can just move what is on here to the soccer thread when the time comes. If anyone wants to add to it they can but i have pretty much stated my case. I think really there should be a two thirds majority to carry other vote as it looks to be very tight.

I don't post much any more in general but from someone that used to post regularly on soccer I think that sub forums for each club or super thread forums would be a bad idea , an even worse idea would be for separate forums only for PL sides. What about the Leeds, Newcastle, Celtic, Rangers(Eire Bear :p) Spanish league supporters etc etc. Why exclude them when they make a big contribution to the forum itself?

Making separate areas would take the posters away from the main forum which would be a bad thing. Also, how would you go about putting a case forward to approve each section? It would be very messy & it will just put extra work on the mods & admins. If you don't like particular posters just learn to deal with them for fúck sake or quite simply click the ignore key. I always used to dig a hole for myself in regards to the banter I'd have with United fans(especially last year) but I would just laugh it off. I cannot see why other posters cannot do the same. At the end of the day, if you split up the soccer forum community it will just kill the main forum in general in my opinion which would be a bad thing given it's popularity. Why can't we all just get along eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Okay that sounds fine Iago. But I may not be around for that. I think the arguments have been made at this stage so you can just move what is on here to the soccer thread when the time comes. If anyone wants to add to it they can but i have pretty much stated my case. I think really there should be a two thirds majority to carry other vote as it looks to be very tight.

And what if there is no two-thirds majority either way? Everything stays as it is?

Okay here is what im starting to think. Move the superthreads to seperate forum as was suggested by Dub13. Allow some leeway in what other clubs want to post via subject that is topical. Remove the off topics sticky status as it is at this stage taking up space. new threads being started up get mod approval. Consider removing the streaming thread because as valuable as it is it also taking up space. Posters can bookmark on their own browser. Decide in other words how many threads you want on main page and manage it after that. Will drop the sub forum idea provided we can have some representation via thread space.

Consider removing the streaming thread because as valuable as it is it also taking up space.

Why would we remove a valuable thread that is serving its purpose when people have now got the hang of it and find it useful?
    Will drop the sub forum idea provided we can have some representation via thread space.

That sounds like Union speak.

Altogether now - "WHAT DO WE WANT?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

astrofool wrote: »
    In response to this. If you are to walk away, it doesn't need to be made public, until the change has occurred, and then you walk away. People may give out about spirt/bay's need to announce he's leaving the forum, but the mods are being just as melodramatic when they do the same thing. It also makes it a case of "my way or the highway", and reinforces the cliquey nature of moderation in the soccer forum.

Announcing it the way a couple of the mods have, is, as Des so eloquently described it, being a sensitive Sarah.

I presume the other mod you are talking about is me.

We were discussing how any future break up of the forum would be modded,someone suggested that the current mods stay on.I simply said I have no interest in doing that,You are trying to make out that I mad a big deal out of it or it was some kind of announcement,this was not the case I was just replying to a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Okay here is what im starting to think. Move the superthreads to seperate forum as was suggested by Dub13. Allow some leeway in what other clubs want to post via subject that is topical. Remove the off topics sticky status as it is at this stage taking up space. new threads being started up get mod approval. Consider removing the streaming thread because as valuable as it is it also taking up space. Posters can bookmark on their own browser. Decide in other words how many threads you want on main page and manage it after that. Will drop the sub forum idea provided we can have some representation via thread space.

love the way you make it sound like a negotiation.....

Okay you asked it. What do we want. More threads. Myself and mike65 as two of the top three pool posters are calling for it. Give us something Xavi. One thread per fortnight without the threat of it been shut down after three posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Can you give me an example of a thread you would create that would not be just as easily discussed in the super thread?

Okay you asked it. What do we want. More threads. Myself and mike65 as two of the top three pool posters are calling for it. Give us something Xavi. One thread per fortnight without the threat of it been shut down after three posts.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

One thread per fortnight on what? Does that one thread get shut down after a fortnight when another starts? Or do you just keep sneaking them in every two weeks until, holy shit, it's a forum full of Liverpool threads!

Clever. I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If your threads aren't in breach of charter, or against the rules of the forum they won't be closed, so maybe its you that needs to change and not Xavi. Stop turing this debate into a bargaining tool for you to get more threads that appeal to you on the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

No offence to either yourself or Mike intended but I would prefer quaility over quantity

Just becaue you post a lot does not give you more say than poster who post infrequently

Plus anytime I see Mike post lately it has been to say how Sh!t the place is which does little to help the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Threads aren't designed for or conducive to discussing multiple topics at once. Superthreads are a misuse of the vBulletin functionality. Forums and sub-forums are designed to group individual discussions of a single general subject, threads are for the focused discussion of one exact topic.

By shoehorning all of these discussions into a single superthread, you're damaging the conversation. It can really only deal with one topic at a time, so it is inevitably dominated by the single latest or biggest story of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LoLth wrote: »
    love the way you make it sound like a negotiation.....

I can't stop laughing at that.

Can you give me an example of a thread you would create that would not be just as easily discussed in the super thread?
    Okay fair enough. The Liverpool ownership thread which should be made a stickie until its resolves. Clubs future very important.

Okay fair enough. The Liverpool ownership thread which should be made a stickie until its resolves. Clubs future very important.

A thread about a single club should be a sticky? r u srs?

What about the Man Utd ownership, should that be a sticky?

The Pompey Administration?

Both equally as important topics.

You are becoming a parody of yourself at this stage

Now I know you're just a piss taker.

When is that leave date?

Des wrote: »
    A thread about a single club should be a sticky? r u srs?

What about the Man Utd ownership, should that be a sticky?

The Pompey Administration?

Both equally as important topics.

You are becoming a parody of yourself at this stage
    It can be destickified when the interest drops down. Lets face it des. No one had any problem debating the Liverpool and Rafa done thread. Any time we lost it got bumped. Dragged on for four months untill Lucky Lloyd had the vision to take the sting out of it. And Im guessing United fans wouldnt want to wash their dirty linen in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry SOS but that's one of he funniest comments I have ever read here, who's the renegade, AL?

Whatever about a separate thread there is no way this should be a sticky. Absolutely not.

However when has this discussion of that ever been stifled in the super thread? I have read many interesting discussions and informative posts regarding the said issue, and have never seen it dragged off topic or whatever.

This topic is something that would not be discussed every day. Its something that gets discussed when new information or new revelations happen.

Also and I actually find this hilarious.

You created such a thread right here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795481

it went on for eight pages and was never locked.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Sorry SOS but that's one of he funniest comments I have ever read here, who's the renegade, AL?
    Dont know where Mr Alan is today. So cant speak for him as such. Myself, Nekidbible man and Mike65 are all agreed on this. Thats a big chunk if you ask me.

it went on for eight pages and was never locked.

4 pages n00b

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

And Im guessing United fans wouldnt want to wash their dirty linen in public.

what does this even mean?

Dont know where Mr Alan is today. So cant speak for him as such. Myself, Nekidbible man and Mike65 are all agreed on this. Thats a big chunk if you ask me.

It's three people out of the whole forum, but there are 7 people in here looking for a subforum idea to be accepted.

Anyway, just because you have thousands of posts in a single thread doesn't make you any more valid than someone who has only one.

Why do you think it does?

The Liverpool ownership thread is not even a sticky on Irishkop.

Des wrote: »
    4 pages n00b

shuut up, they load faster when they are smaller.

postcount is nothing but a number. Its meaningless.

Go HMod....:)

You are only saying that because your postcount is so small.

I bet you say that to all the ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

between the 3 of ye, ye have 1776 posts on a thread that has 19,937 posts.

thats around 9%. so you think that 9% of a thread is a big chunk.

im not even taking into account quality of posts, just quantity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement