Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pstn line fault ( signet 100 )

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi all

I am installing a signet 100 my home to replace my vista 5 panel. Have everything connected ok and bought a pstn modem for it as i want to have sms control.

I ran a new cable to the eircom point and connected it so that the line go's to the modem first and then to the phones. I checked the voltage on the line befor i messed around, and had 50v, but when i finished connecting it up i have no line now and 0v?? I probably shorted it for a second but are telephone lines that sensitive? and is there a way to fix it without eircom having to come out?

also when i was programming the panel for the first time ..i cannot seem to get it out of engineer's mode? i keep pressing back untill i go out of all menus... then it says battery fault ( have no battery connected yet ) but then after a second it go's back to the menu i just left? Probably a small problem but its driving me mad!

Any help would be appreciated!:):)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The phone problem can be sorted in a few steps.
    Leave the line into the digi & disconnect the line out.
    Check if you now have line voltage. If its ok then work on the lines you have connected to line out. If no voltage is present work back . If there is a short on a cable it will kill the line voltage. Once the short is removed the line will return.

To exit engineer press back untill Soft Engineer displays then press exit.
    You will need to remove or isolate all system faults first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hillclimb20v

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply. I Have removed all connections from the main eircom line coming in,and have checked voltage again, but still 0v?

so you think if i keep pressing back till soft engineer is displayed. it should work? after i remove the battery fault?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply. I Have removed all connections from the main eircom line coming in,and have checked voltage again, but still 0v?
    Find the point where the line enters your house & disconnect everything else. If good work from there ,if not it could be an eircom fault. (Check voltage at box outside before calling them)
    so you think if i keep pressing back till soft engineer is displayed. it should work? after i remove the battery fault?
    Yes. Press back untill soft engineer displays if will then display
    Full Engineer
    Exit
    Select
    Select exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Shorting the line will not do anything. Check the main line coming in to the house, depending on the house it could be a black four core.
    Check the back of the phone box as that solid cable can be very brittle. Also if you cut out the resistors on the phone box and do not connect the alarm panel you will get a fault
    As a last step ring eircom and get them to run a line test to see if you do have a fault

Jnealon wrote: »
    Shorting the line will not do anything.
    I was advising on the basis that a short may still be present

• Advertisement
Advertisement