Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madcatz SE Problems

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

The stick on my SE stick has stopped working. No inputs are registering on PC or Xbox, however the buttons work fine.

I've taken the thing apart and can't find the problem at all. All the connectors from the PCB look fine and there appears to be no damage to the PCB itself (although I'm not an expert on these things) Also, if the PCB was damaged it would unusual for all the inputs to stop working at once (?).

Anyone have any ideas what else could be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

There was problems with that stick when first released. There was a loose washer in the stick which scrapes the pcb until it stops working.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yup happened to me in extremely short order. The metal washer problem.

Ask kiki nicely to set you up with a new stick or do it yourself if yo feel capable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yup happened to me in extremely short order. The metal washer problem.

Ask kiki nicely to set you up with a new stick or do it yourself if yo feel capable :)
    Yea, but as far as I can see the PCB is fine, no damage done to it at all.

I wish Kiki were here alright. Come home Kiki! You can main whoever you want!

I'd have no issue putting a new stick in etc myself or buying a new one (is actually a great excuse to get a TE), just don't have the money at the moment or in the near future unfortunately.

Jim wrote: »
    Yea, but as far as I can see the PCB is fine, no damage done to it at all.

I wish Kiki were here alright. Come home Kiki! You can main whoever you want!

I'd have no issue putting a new stick in etc myself or buying a new one (is actually a great excuse to get a TE), just don't have the money at the moment or in the near future unfortunately.

The sticks are just pants quality jim. Yours has lasted much longer than mine has.

So I tried two different sticks in the case today and nout. Looks like its the wire or the controller, nothing I can fix really. So no stick for me. Perhaps I shall train back up my pad before France!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So I tried two different sticks in the case today and nout. Looks like its the wire or the controller, nothing I can fix really. So no stick for me. Perhaps I shall train back up my pad before France!

Don't Game sell EX2s for about €45? Better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah but I don't think he has the spare cash to even spend 45 on a stick. Jim if I had a spare stick I'd lend you one. But all I can offer is pads which you have plenty of. :(

Sisko wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't think he has the spare cash to even spend 45 on a stick. Jim if I had a spare stick I'd lend you one. But all I can offer is pads which you have plenty of. :(

Surely you can offer him a stick for one week?

I only have 1 which I use daily as I'm trying to learn the thing. Just got 3s for a dreamcast emu so I can use its training mode. SF4 give me bad habits for learning the thing. I can't even do supers when I want to now in 3s on stick. Also my stick is ps3.

Well is there anyone with two 360 sticks (that aren't Saulabi) that can loan one to Jim for a week in March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Unfortunately my other stick is a crocked ex2 :(

^ I think that's a standard feature for EX2's!

Just had a few games on the pad there, I'm amazed at how bad I've gotten at it heh.

Unfortunately I can't afford a stick at the moment, unless someone wants to pay my ESB bill for me? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I've a spare stock joy stick out of a SE that I can bring along next time I see ya. PCB is fine on it.

Piss easy to put in, and should at least tell if the problem is the connectors or the PCB on your own stick.

He actually tried that already and the new stick didn't work either. I dunno enough about sticks to guess what it could be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I have the stick that they sell in GAME if u wanna borrow that? I don't use it at all & theres an upgraded spring in the stick courtesy of Kiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I'm by no means an expert on sticks but it sounds like an issue with the ground wire...
    One thing you could try if you have one of them circuit checker things(I don't know the technical term) is check if theres a connection between the conections on the PCB and those on the stick. If there's connections for the inputs but none for the ground then it's likely just that wire that would need to be replaced.
    If there are connections for all the wires then it's probably a PCB issue which are more complicated... You could check if the connections between the solder points and the rest of the PCB are solid and work from there but I've never even seen a SE PCB so I can't help much there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

DarkTalant wrote: »
    them circuit checker things(I don't know the technical term)

A Multimeter?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

A Multimeter?

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

2 of my buttons stopped working last night. Jab and roundhouse!!. Don't have a clue what happened.it's a SE too. Haven't opened it yet but it ain't too long ago that I put sanwa parts in there.

• Advertisement

BanjoB wrote: »
    2 of my buttons stopped working last night. Jab and roundhouse!!. Don't have a clue what happened.it's a SE too. Haven't opened it yet but it ain't too long ago that I put sanwa parts in there.

Loose quick disconnects probably. Just need to push them back on and tighten them slightly with a pliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

All the while my pad is still in perfect working order :pac:

Jim I just ordered an XBOX TE.

If you want you can have a loaner up to the trip and I'm sure we can all share our sticks while over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Stick to the pad man..... It is the only way.

I'm sure cobelcog would agree :)

I'm sure we can all share our sticks while over there.

Not sure what trip you're going on Doom...

PS. A loan would be amazing. I'll even go on that trip with you for it

Doom, you going to crazy mod your stick so it's a dual mod or just use two seperate sticks?

I'm very tempted to splash a bit of cash on a HRAP V3 SA, but then I keep reminding myself how much cheaper a set of Sanwa buttons would be instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

afaik - imho, hrap2 ftw, tbh

Not sure what trip you're going on Doom...

PS. A loan would be amazing. I'll even go on that trip with you for it

I basically just need it for tournaments and France, so as long as you return it to me for either of them and get it back to me by Super (will prob play that multi platform) we're all good.

Doom, you going to crazy mod your stick so it's a dual mod or just use two seperate sticks?

I'm very tempted to splash a bit of cash on a HRAP V3 SA, but then I keep reminding myself how much cheaper a set of Sanwa buttons would be instead.

I'm a disaster around electronics.

I don't even know how I put the new buttons in the prototype as it's known, I got home one night and did it pissed. Works a dream though :)

So seperate my sticks shall remain.

• Advertisement

I basically just need it for tournaments and France, so as long as you return it to me for either of them and get it back to me by Super (will prob play that multi platform) we're all good.
    Aye, np. I only want it for a few days leading up to France to get a bit of practice in.

Advertisement