Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Difference?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Whats the difference between the two? I mean they are both sugar free, both caffinated and have 0 calories.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

According to wiki
    Diet Coke does not use a modified form of the Coca-Cola recipe, but instead an entirely different formula. The controversial New Coke, introduced in 1985, used a version of the Diet Coke recipe that contained high fructose corn syrup and had a slightly different balance of ingredients. In 2004, Coca-Cola introduced Coca-Cola C2, which it claims tastes much closer to Coca-Cola but contains half the carbohydrates. In 2005, the company introduced Coca-Cola Zero, a sugar-free variation of regular Coca-Cola.

And according to Coca-Cola
    1. What is the difference between Coca-Cola Zero®, Diet Coke® and Coke/Coca-Cola light®?

Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,428 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

star-pants wrote: »
    According to wiki

And according to Coca-Cola
    1. What is the difference between Coca-Cola Zero®, Diet Coke® and Coke/Coca-Cola light®?

Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference.

They are full of it. Both diet coke and zero are sugar free.
    Coke zero is also flavoured with aspartame (and one other sweetener)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

Coke Zero tastes a lot more like regular Coke than Diet Coke does imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

RedNiamhy wrote: »

I'd agree.

No sugar = no fructose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha I was just about to ask the same question.
    I had coke zero a few nights back and couldnt sleep all night. I presume it was the caffeine, Im drinking diet coke now because it says it doesnt have caffeine in it. Hopefully ill be able to sleep tonight.

• Advertisement

That's in your mind, they are essentially the same.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    I had coke zero a few nights back and couldnt sleep all night. I presume it was the caffeine, Im drinking diet coke now because it says it doesnt have caffeine in it. Hopefully ill be able to sleep tonight.

You do know that Diet Coke has caffeine in it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    They are full of it. Both diet coke and zero are sugar free.
    Coke zero is also flavoured with aspartame (and one other sweetener)
    :confused: do you disagree with something they said? all you said was in agreement with them.
    +1, I have heard loads of people say it, I love coke zero.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    That's in your mind, they are essentially the same.
    They are the same as in diet drinks, but thats like saying coke & pepsi are essentially the same. Coke zero & diet coke are very different, I can tell the difference a mile off. I hate diet coke and love coke zero, I know a guy who is the exact opposite who loves diet coke. He is a big guy who has no worry about calories, I went to the shop and got coke zero instead of diet coke as they had none, he went without any drink rather than drink it and he was eating, said he just cannot stand it, or real full sugar coke. I can also tell the difference between pepsi max and diet pepsi though it is not as big a difference IMO.
    You do know that Diet Coke has caffeine in it right?
    Im drinking diet coke now because it says it doesnt have caffeine in it.
    He might have the caffeine free diet coke, there is one with a sort of gold bit on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

For me a definite difference. Coke Zero tastes more like real Coke. I prefer Diet Coke though, yum yum.

rubadub wrote: »
    :confused: do you disagree with something they said? all you said was in agreement with them.

I thought they were implying that zero wasn't flavoured with aspartame.

They are the same as in diet drinks, but thats like saying coke & pepsi are essentially the same. Coke zero & diet coke are very different, I can tell the difference a mile off.
    Coke and pepsi have hugely different ingredients.
    Diet and Zero have the almost same. I know they are slightly different in flavour. But they are closer to each other than regular coke.
    I honestly believe the zero increase sales above the diet element. I imagine there are studies to prove it. People feel less self conscience drinking diet drinks that aren't labeled diet. Pepsi Max is a classic example.

I do prefer zero though. Can't stomach coke, and i've drank diet for too long.
    He might have the caffeine free diet coke, there is one with a sort of gold bit on the label.
    Yeah, the gold label is caffeine free (haven't seen it in years), but a lot of people believe all diet is caffeine free.

I thought they were implying that zero wasn't flavoured with aspartame.
    Ah OK, I see it now, it says a blend (which includes aspartame), but I see how them saying diet has aspartame could lead you to think the other didn't. Some might want to avoid it, tesco and M&S premium diet colas both use sucralose.

But they are closer to each other than regular coke.
    We will just have to agree to disagree on flavours, as its obviously subjective. I find diet & zero hugely different, as noticeable as pepsi vs coke, my workmate loved diet but went without a drink altogether while eating rather than "suffer" the coke zero I got him -and the bottle was already bought, on company money too!
    I honestly believe the zero increase sales above the diet element. I imagine there are studies to prove it. People feel less self conscience drinking diet drinks that aren't labeled diet. Pepsi Max is a classic example.
    Yes, there is no real secret about that, same with 7up zero, though I don't think they will admit it. I remember a mate was on pepsi max which I think he knew full well was calorie free, a mate said some smart comment and he was claiming he never knew it was "diet". The pepsi max ads are way OTT macho crap. I prefer diet pepsi over pepsi max. I can taste a definite difference there too -I took an online test and I supposedly have below average tasting ability BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Zero
    Coke Zero was Coca-Cola's biggest product launch in 22 years. It is primarily marketed towards young adult males[3] and has even been nicknamed "Bloke Coke".[4] The launch started in Spain, on Wednesday 21 June 2006.[5]

In the U.S., advertising has been tailored to its targeted market by describing the drink as "calorie-free" rather than "diet", since young adult males are said to associate diet drinks with women.[6] U.S marketing has also emphasized its similarity in taste to sugared Coca-Cola through a 2007 U.S. viral marketing campaign that suggested the company's executives were so angry over the drinks' similarities they were considering suing their coworkers for "taste infringement".
    I never heard any such marketing which might have swayed my thoughts. First time I got it I was shocked it was so similar, a few mates have mentioned it too, its the only one diet cola I drink with spirits.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Ah OK, I see it now, it says a blend (which includes aspartame), but I see how them saying diet has aspartame could lead you to think the other didn't. Some might want to avoid it, tesco and M&S premium diet colas both use sucralose.
    Yeah that's what I was getting at. Aspartame has a bad rep, so I thought they were avoiding mentioning it in coke zero.

We will just have to agree to disagree on flavours, as its obviously subjective. I find diet & zero hugely different, as noticeable as pepsi vs coke,
    It might be just me. I find regualr coke so very sugary. Almost syrupy feel to it. So low sugar ones are all so much removed from this that I sort of group them.
    I took an online test and I supposedly have below average tasting ability BTW.
    How does an online taste test work? Interested in that for a laugh.

It might be just me. I find regualr coke so very sugary. Almost syrupy feel to it. So low sugar ones are all so much removed from this that I sort of group them.
    Yes, I get the same feel. I'm surprised they do not have some thickener or something, like glycerine which is added to liquers to thicken and smoothen them.
    How does an online taste test work? Interested in that for a laugh.
    This is it, its a bit odd though, all based around a restaurant.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

All I know is that Coke Zero gives me a terrible headache, but, I can drink Diet Coke without any (obvious for now) side effects.

Interesting. Haven't really drunk enough Coke Zero to know, but Pepsi Max gives me an awful headache alright. Whereas Diet Coke is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Coke Zero doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as the elixir which is Coca Cola, but it's an okay substitute. Diet Coke, I think, tastes horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

it does, yeah. .

Yeah, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I find regualr coke so very sugary. Almost syrupy feel to it.

Ditto. I also notice that I get a weird feeling of a coating on my teeth when I drink regular coke. I think Coke Zero tastes more like regular coke but I actually prefer Diet Coke because I've noticed it tends to be fizzier than Coke Zero. Coke Zero seems almost flat by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Coke zero is diet coke for boys? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

I find Diet Coke is an acquired taste.

Another part of the reason for Coke Zero is that they marketed Diet Coke heavily towards women for many years. The adverts for Coke Zero are very much more aimed towards males.

It can get a tad annoying the way they've chosen to assign genders to the colas though. I wouldn't be mad about Coke Zero, but it can be a bit annoying when they bring out the limited edition diet coke cans and you're forced to drink out of a pink flowery thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

anyone notice the totally different taste between coke light and diet coke ???? i never drink coke when im on holidays as once you get on the plane they serve coke light and call it diet coke . i think it is rotten. some restaurants here do serve coke light as diet coke ... but i can always tell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Didnt even know there was a Coke light!

anyone notice the totally different taste between coke light and diet coke ???? i never drink coke when im on holidays as once you get on the plane they serve coke light and call it diet coke . i think it is rotten. some restaurants here do serve coke light as diet coke ... but i can always tell :)
    LOL, epic fail.

you obviously aren't aware that Diet Coke is called Coke light in mainland europe. It's not a different drink. Somebody obviously made the decision that light works better than diet for french, german, etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

LOL, epic fail.

you obviously aren't aware that Diet Coke is called Coke light in mainland europe. It's not a different drink. Somebody obviously made the decision that light works better than diet for french, german, etc

No, epic fail on your part. Quoting from the Coca-Cola website, as quoted in the second post on this thread:

They're completely different drinks.

Advertisement