Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it correct to use an apostrophe in these cases?

• 21-02-2010 10:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

"In the 1950's" - should there be an apostrophe? Instinct tells me no, but 1950s doesn't read as well.

"She got four A's in her exams" - again, instinct tells me there shouldn't be an apostrophe, but As doesn't read as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

neither of them need apostrophes, plurals never do (I think:)). Its a common error though, called the grocer's apostrohphe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes for numbers, no for letters, (Eats shoots and leaves told me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Eats Shoots and Leaves lied to me! the second makes sense!, Still using an apostrophe for 50's etc though...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ah, but only when there is possible confusion? You could also use them safely I guess with counting zeros, as 0s would look funny.

In the OP though, A's would not be right anyway as they would be A1s or A2s, therefore not needing the '!

Personally "A's are very hard to get in honours maths." doesn't scan for me even with the apostrophe. I'd prefer 'A grades' or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

efb wrote: »
    Eats Shoots and Leaves lied to me! the second makes sense!, Still using an apostrophe for 50's etc though...

page 46 last paragraph isn't lying to you.;)

Advertisement