Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one remember him Bang bang

Options
  • 21-02-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

Page dedicated to the auld eccentric gentleman
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_Bang_(Dublin)

Bang Bang (real name Thomas Dudley) was an eccentric elderly gentleman in Dublin in the 1950s and 1960s who achieved fame as a character in the city.[1] A fan of cowboy films, Bang Bang used to travel the buses and trams of the city staging mock shoot-outs with passing people (hence his nickname).[1] He carried a large church key in his pocket which he used as a 'gun'.[1] Dubliners, who enjoyed his good natured antics, used to participate in his games, sometimes "returning fire" by pretending they had a gun in their hands and shouting "bang bang" back at him, or by falling down "dead" on the city streets when he suddenly appeared at the back of a bus or tram and "shot" them.[1] On occasion Bang Bang even interrupted plays on stage by "shooting" the actors, generally to the amusement of actors and audiences alike. "Bang Bang" died in 1981[2] but is widely remembered by some of the older Dubliners.
    He was raised in an orphanage in Cabra, Dublin.[1] He lived most of his adult life on Mill Street, in the Coombe, Dublin.[1]
    Bang Bang was said to be heartbroken at the death of John Wayne. 'Me pal is dead', he is reported to have said.
    In later life he was taken in and cared for by the Rosminian Fathers in Drumcondra.[1] He died in their care on 11 January 1981 and was buried in their cemetery.[1]
    Bang Bang has entered the folklore of Dublin as an eccentric but harmless individual who amused the city's citizens with his games. He still is mentioned in books and broadcast programmes. In the 1970s the Abbey Theatre performed a play about the history of Dublin entitled From the Vikings to Bang Bang.[3]
    He is mentioned in the lyrics of a children's "skipping song" We all went up to the Mero published by Pete St. John. One verse reads:
    "And we all went up to the Mero, hey there, who's your man It's only Johnny Forty Coats, sure he's desperate man Bang Bang shoots the buses with his golden key Hey hi diddley I and out goes she"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They probably remember him best in Dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When this is moved to the Dublin City Forum I'd advise people wishing to reply to read our charter as slagging off Dublin's street character's like Bang Bang will result in a banning.

Don't do it in DFC pls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Magnus wrote: »
    They probably remember him best in Dublin forum.

I think few places had characters like these and i think most of everyone who traveled to dublin would remember him back from then.

Ask your mam or dad :D

caseyann wrote: »
    I think few places had characters like these and i think most of everyone who traveled to dublin would remember him back from then.

Ask your mam or dad :D

Probably just a myth, but I remember as a kid hearing that 'Bang Bang' & 'Forty Coats' etc were suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after their experiences in WWI & WWII.

Probably just a myth, but I remember as a kid hearing that 'Bang Bang' & 'Forty Coats' etc were suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after their experiences in WWI & WWII.

No no he was real met him when i was in town when i was like 5 and he used to play shooting with me :D everyones faces lit up when he came by.:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/1114/1224258801699.html?via=mr

• Advertisement

No no he was real met him when i was in town when i was like 5 and he used to play shooting with me :D everyones faces lit up when he came by.:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/1114/1224258801699.html?via=mr

I mean't the story re. P.T.S.D.

I know he was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Dr. Bill gives 'bang- bang' a mention in this little clip:

I mean't the story re. P.T.S.D.

I know he was real.

Sorry :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I went to Rosser a year after he died Mak and heard a lot of stories about him but no mention on war. Bit of a handful by all accounts alright if it was PTSD related it more than likely stemmed from his early upbringing.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Dr. Bill gives 'bang- bang' a mention in this little clip:

haha is that true he got locked in zoo over night :D

• Advertisement

Sorry :)

Not at all, no need for that.

Just thinking, we haven't had a war in a long time and we don't have these guys on our streets, so I guess its not beyond the realms of possibility that there's more than a grain of truth in the P.T.S.D. theory.

Not at all, no need for that.

Just thinking, we haven't had a war in a long time and we don't have these guys on our streets, so I guess its not beyond the realms of possibility that there's more than a grain of truth in the P.T.S.D. theory.

No that was a myth i am sure about that part.He was just a lonely eccentric friendly man and was a real pleasure to remember and he should not be forgotten.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There was houses on Mill St?

Advertisement