Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go to CIT?

• 21-02-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am thinking of doing music in cit. Either cit, ucc or csn. My guidence councellor ( a bad one) said go to a college, then afterwards go to csn.
    But i am drummer, and although i wan't to know about melody and music in general, i wonder if cit is aimed more at classical musicians, or atleast guys who play melodic instruments.
    I heard that in csn you have to do projects like make bands, and hold events.....and you learn about music and management. That seems like it would give you an actual taste of the music scene ( especially the projects) and almost get your foot in. It seems more helpful, strictly from a playing point of view, especially for a drummer.
    anyone go to any of these colleges?? i know that no knoweledge is pointless, but would i just be flauting around in CIT learning things that i will never REALLY use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well, there are no music courses in CIT itself.

Cork School of Music do the music degree. It is very very difficult to get into. A good few auditions and interviews etc.

I know nothing about CSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Bosphorus

Lia_lia wrote: »

Cork School of Music do the music degree. It is very very difficult to get into. A good few auditions and interviews etc.

ya i actually meant the school of music. Yup, i heard it's pretty hard to get into! just try and charm in the interview i suppose! It's pretty good that csn doesn't have a bad music programme, because i could very have to go there, no choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

No :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Lia_lia wrote: »

CIT does have music courses in the "CIT Cork School of Music" (official name).

CIT includes the CIT Bishopstown Campus, CIT Cork School of Music, CIT Crawford College of Art & Design, and the National Maritime College of Ireland. There are also smaller locations for various courses throughout the city.

The Degree you receive from CIT Cork School of Music will be a CIT Degree.

No different than UCC or any other college with several sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Bosphorus wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing music in cit. Either cit, ucc or csn. My guidence councellor ( a bad one) said go to a college, then afterwards go to csn.
    But i am drummer, and although i wan't to know about melody and music in general, i wonder if cit is aimed more at classical musicians, or atleast guys who play melodic instruments.
    I heard that in csn you have to do projects like make bands, and hold events.....and you learn about music and management. That seems like it would give you an actual taste of the music scene ( especially the projects) and almost get your foot in. It seems more helpful, strictly from a playing point of view, especially for a drummer.
    anyone go to any of these colleges?? i know that no knoweledge is pointless, but would i just be flauting around in CIT learning things that i will never REALLY use?

It depends on what models you pick. I studied Multimedia and had a few models based in the CIT Cork School of Music teaching how to use a recording studio, setting up microphones, etc, etc.

They have some of the best facilities in the country but definitely arrange a chat with a staff member first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Ya the School of Music has a great reputation. As one poster already pointed out, going to the School of Music is going to CIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

CSN extremely difficult to get into ,as in about 400 applications for 40 places, but a fantastic course.

Howld on now lads, I'm a tad confused. What's CSN? I thought we were talking about the School of Music, which would be CSM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Howld on now lads, I'm a tad confused. What's CSN? I thought we were talking about the School of Music, which would be CSM...
    The "M" and the "N" key are right next to each other, easy mistake.

Vinta81 wrote: »
    The "M" and the "N" key are right next to each other, easy mistake.

Yes, but considering that the OP and subsequent posters have made the same mistake would suggest to me that people are talking about CSN rather than CSM. I doubt so many people would make the same typo, particularly when the acronym is key to the discussion.

So can we clarify whether people mean CSM: Cork School of Music, or CSN: Colaiste Stiofain Naofa.

OP, if you meant CSM, I stick with my original advice. If you meant CSN, then you'd be far better off going with CIT (CSM) or UCC. FETAC Certs aren't comparable to degrees by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Yes, but considering that the OP and subsequent posters have made the same mistake would suggest to me that people are talking about CSN rather than CSM. I doubt so many people would make the same typo, particularly when the acronym is key to the discussion.

So can we clarify whether people mean CSM: Cork School of Music, or CSN: Colaiste Stiofain Naofa.

OP, if you meant CSM, I stick with my original advice. If you meant CSN, then you'd be far better off going with CIT (CSM) or UCC. FETAC Certs aren't comparable to degrees by any stretch of the imagination.

oh i was on about csN
    pretty funny how it worked out though :)

well i have my doubts about CIT because it seems like a real classical musicians college, while CSN seems more lik, well, just a musicians school where they teach you how to actually become a musician with longeviety ( i can't spell)

oh i was on about csN
    pretty funny how it worked out though :)

well i have my doubts about CIT because it seems like a real classical musicians college, while CSN seems more lik, well, just a musicians school where they teach you how to actually become a musician with longeviety ( i can't spell)

CSN isn't comparable with CIT or UCC, nor are FETAC certifications with level 8 degrees. I know that sounds like snobbery - but welcome to the real world. Time to be practical about what's going to be best for your future; a useless cert from a college of further education, or a degree from one of the country's most respected institutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

okk sorry.

CSN isn't comparable with CIT or UCC, nor are FETAC certifications with level 8 degrees. I know that sounds like snobbery - but welcome to the real world. Time to be practical about what's going to be best for your future; a useless cert from a college of further education, or a degree from one of the country's most respected institutions?

but do music degrees really mean anything if you want to be a musician and a drum teacher....not a MUSIC teacher?
    I heard that they are not in real great demand, all people care about is if you can groove and play

but do music degrees really mean anything if you want to be a musician and a drum teacher....not a MUSIC teacher?
    I heard that they are not in real great demand, all people care about is if you can groove and play

That's very true. But by that logic what's the point in doing a music qualification at all? If there is nothing to be gained from getting a qualification in this field, why bother? Why not just get a job, make some money, and work toward becoming a musician? And any type of degree, music or whatever, doesn't just have value in a professional capacity.

That's very true. But by that logic what's the point in doing a music qualification at all? If there is nothing to be gained from getting a qualification in this field, why bother? Why not just get a job, make some money, and work toward becoming a musician? And any type of degree, music or whatever, doesn't just have value in a professional capacity.

For me, going to college is to learn more about music theory and to meet other musicians. I am really just hoping that college will be a place where i can make contacts, that is why i am thinking about going to CSN, knowing tow to be a studio engineer and meeting up and coming producers and stuff could be helpful...

Sure, even if i do get into CIT or UCC, i will still probably take a course that lasts a year in CSN anyway

Advertisement