Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student loans?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I have applied to go back to college this year and saving like mad cause i will not be entitled to a grant. But i know i will never have enough saved to last me or i might be just about be able to scrape by for the first year.

Its the living expenses that will be the hardest as i wont have tuition fees as i applied to a PLC college. I am hoping on finding an evening job somewhere but if that doesn't work out, my only option is a loan.

Are banks offering loans to students easily enough? Or are they being turned down? Would it make a difference if i am a mature student and not just some 18 year old who wants to drink the money?

I have an account with the credit union and haven't been using it for saving. I am thinking of saving again with them but i always thought that if i join a credit union, i'm stuck with them. Can i walk into any credit union branch if i have my account in another?
    The reason why i ask is that i am moving away from home for the course and i don't want to be travelling to to the branch i have the account with to withdraw money, and to apply for a loan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I know it's very late to reply but I'm in the exact same situation as you and just came across this using the search, what did you end up doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I have applied to go back to college this year and saving like mad cause i will not be entitled to a grant. But i know i will never have enough saved to last me or i might be just about be able to scrape by for the first year.

Its the living expenses that will be the hardest as i wont have tuition fees as i applied to a PLC college. I am hoping on finding an evening job somewhere but if that doesn't work out, my only option is a loan.

Are banks offering loans to students easily enough? Or are they being turned down? Would it make a difference if i am a mature student and not just some 18 year old who wants to drink the money?

I have an account with the credit union and haven't been using it for saving. I am thinking of saving again with them but i always thought that if i join a credit union, i'm stuck with them. Can i walk into any credit union branch if i have my account in another?
    The reason why i ask is that i am moving away from home for the course and i don't want to be travelling to to the branch i have the account with to withdraw money, and to apply for a loan.

You can request that your account be trasnferred to a branch closer to the college. Your current branch will send a statment of all your details to your new one so it shouldnt be a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement