Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Wheels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Assume Basil Fawlty character : "Right ... thats it... I'm gonna break a spoke right now and lets see what happens ..shall we ?? " ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Please advise these or these

The spinergy wheels are available here, price is good.

Budget approx. €800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would go for the Mavics.

Well I only know the Mavics, bombproof but a little heavy and erm .. noisy / audible.

Spinergys I honestly haven't a clue.

Just going by your username, are you based in Kerry ? If so, ya might be better off getting a lighter wheelset for the climbs / crap roads / high winds, of which there are plenty crackers for that money.

Murph

Kerryman living in Cork, what other wheelset would you recommend in or around that price range to fit on this.

Now you see where the spinergy idea came from.:D

Wrong link,try this one.

I'd need to rob another bank for the Reynolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Ha! You bought the Kuota, hope it brings your son success. Any news on the stolen PX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kerryscoob wrote: »
    Kerryman living in Cork, what other wheelset would you recommend in or around that price range to fit on this.

Buy some 7850 C24 CLs, then weigh them for me. :)

Not quite :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18354

kerryscoob wrote: »
    Wrong link,try this one.

I'd need to rob another bank for the Reynolds.

BTW I'm a West Cork man living in Kerry and LOVING it !! :)

• Advertisement

Heheheeeeeeee ... so the Ardennes got a lil' porky over the winter, PHEW ... soo nearly went for them, of course you'll no doubt take great delight knowing that the Am Classic Mag 300s you turned me off still haven't arrived at Epic Cycles ...

However the Shamals are ACE !! ... and best of all the 2009 set weigh less than the 2010 set ( which are more realistically weight quoted ) ... even better... Blorg HATES them :D

( I know I've just ensured my demise by paired spokes failure near Blorg probably in the ROK or SK )

Lumen wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Mary has measured everything on here bike including her 7850 C24 CLs@1436g(no skewers):

http://www.pedalator.com/MARY/ROUTE/SCOTT_CR1-Pro/montage.htm

I'd laugh at her meticulous detail (milligrams!) if I didn't admire it :-o

rob1891 wrote: »
    Mary has measured everything on here bike including her 7850 C24 CLs@1436g(no skewers)

Excellent, they're porky too. So it's C24s: light rim, solid hubs. Ardennes: heavy wide rim, weenie hubs.

What are the choices for sub-1400g alloy clinchers?

wheelsmith.co.uk has some interesting handbuilts on the gallery page:
    IRD Cadence and VSR rims on Extralite hubs ~1250g
    IRD Cadence / VSR / Tune Mig70/Mag180 Black ~1300g
    IRD/Extralite rear laced 2x/1x. Stiff and reliable at 1260g!

Also on the subject of fancy wheels, I was looking at various deep section carbon tubular options and have come across a few with internal nipples. WTF? If your wheel needs truing, you have to unglue the tub! (unless I've misunderstood).

Anyway...

Every time I look at fancy wheels I go through the same process:

- Go light...get shallow section alloy clinchers.
    - Oh, don't forget the aero....better get deep section carbon clinchers.
    - Gaah, braking in the rain/Alpine descending blowouts...better get alloy clinchers with a deep section carbon fairing.
    - Whoa, too heavy....how about some nice Gigantex tubs for racing?
    - Tubs are too much hard work.....just buy some Ksyriums like everyone else.
    - Repeat ad inifinitum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

You make me want to take cycling less seriously some times :(

Know how ya feel Lumen, I could have bought 10 fecking sets of Lightweights with the amount of time I lost researching what wheels to buy :rolleyes:

The Campag Shamals came in at 1448g, so pretty good for the money in hindsight.

abcdggs wrote: »
    You make me want to take cycling less seriously some times :(

LOL. Equipment obsession is a completely independent hobby to cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Lumen wrote:
    What are the choices for sub-1400g alloy clinchers?

I've a pair of these on the way from bikesoul.com, it is a small operation out of Singapore. Weights are supposed to be accurate, 1330g with no tape/skewers.

Waiting time is long though, about 7 weeks for me. Unfortunately I won't be around to try them out for another month or two so I can't say what I think of them yet, but they get positive reviews on the various forums and the guy who mans their email is easy to deal with.

Hmmm, those Souls look really interesting.

Soul C5.0, 50mm, 1465g, €1100
    Soul C4.0, 40mm, 1390g, €930

Prices based on advertised prices + duty + VAT using today's exchange rates (my calculations).

They're about the same weight per depth as the high-end Reynolds (DV46/MV32), but close to the Assault/Attacks in terms of price:

Reynolds MV32ULC (32mm), 1320g, €1,785.00
    Reynolds DV46ULC (46mm), 1410g, €1,873.73
    Reynolds Attack (32mm), 1500g, €898.28
    Reynolds Assault (46mm), 1525g, €942.37

(CRC prices and claimed weights, which I believe are not far out for Reynolds)

It does seem to be the dawn of a new era of <€1000 deep carbon clinchers of reasonable lightness. Which is still damn expensive for rotating consumables but not absurdly so given that Fulcrum Zeros are €942 from CRC.

Jaysus, those Fulcrum Zeros are crazy money especially when the Campag equivalent are only €644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Ye are all fixed on this weight issue.....

VLW(ec) + IR + IW = Trs

(Very Light Wheels (especially carbon) + Irish Roads + Irish Weather = Tears)

May I suggest lose a few grams from the bike engine....

Are you calling me fat?
    jdt101 wrote: »
    May I suggest lose a few grams from the bike engine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Are you calling me fat?

No, of course not, just engine weight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Raam wrote: »
    I have these: Mavic Ksyrium SL
    €730 the pair.
    Well worth it.

Going to buy these soon. Are the durable enough for Irish roads?

(Guessing by Rob's comment they are?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

72hundred wrote: »
    Going to buy these soon. Are the durable enough for Irish roads?

(Guessing by Rob's comment they are?)

Hell yes!

Having a good look at the Ksyrium SL wheels before pulling the trigger;

Ksyrium SL @ €525 , weighing 1550g.

and, then looked at the others in the range...

Ksyrium Elite @ €785 , weighing 1485g.

Going by Mavic's website the only difference is the spokes! (Maybe the hubs?).

So basically is a 65g difference the reason for the €260? I was thinking they could be stiffer or more aero but apparently they're the same rims... Am I missing something?!

EDIT:
    Found more information here:
    (1) The color. For 2004 it continues to use black rims and spokes. (2) The spokes. Rather than employing Zircal aluminum spokes, the Elite uses ultra-bladed stainless steel spokes. (3) The rims. While the Elite rim is identical to the SL rim in construction, it doesn't have the same machined sections in between the spoke nipples. (4) The front hub. Rather than making the change to a front composite hub, it continues to have an aluminum shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Buy the SLs then buy a decent set of skewers. That should save you some weight without spending too much more.

EDIT: Your links are the wrong way around. The SLs are different and it's more than just spokes. They have a carbon front hub, better quality bearings, etc.

Haha, yea I probably will end up getting the SL's. Just wondering why the price difference! Gonna keep looking for a while, need to justify it before account takes the hit (silence the guily etc. etc.)! A decent set of skewers?

Don't try and justify it now. Just make the purchase and think up your reasons later.

Brilliant, that works for me. Just weighted the current skewers 129g's and new ones... 70grams... 59grams for €42. Bargain! Add to basket.

On an aside skipping lunch&dinner could save me a fiver tomorrow and about fifty on bike bits! (weight by weight!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Haha, yea I probably will end up getting the SL's. Just wondering why the price difference! Gonna keep looking for a while, need to justify it before account takes the hit (silence the guily etc. etc.)! A decent set of skewers?
    Nope, don't go for those, go for these. You saved 30grams more :)

Btw any opinion on these wheels? They seem light, cheap, so something can't be right.

AstraMonti wrote: »

Wow, that's light. Thanks for that. Are they reliable? Like that's way lighter than the other ones available.

Btw any opinion on these wheels? They seem light, cheap, so something can't be right.

Ah, I'll give those a miss. eBay, ain't somewhere I want to go. Reliability and track record are important I think for wheels.

• Advertisement

Wow, that's light. Thanks for that. Are they reliable? Like that's way lighter than the other ones available.

I am running the kcnc's for more than a year and I 've done lots and lots of miles, no issues at all.

I also have a pair of KCNC. Going nicely, and look neat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭brendan0576

I was just looking at these since were up around the 800 euro mark
    any opinions

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=37207

What do you want them for? Racing? Sportives? Training?

Sportives and Training
    There a simulare price to the Ksyrium SL

Well, if 800 is your budget there are better wheels to buy for training and sportives:

Easton EA 90 SL or SLX depending on your weight.
    Shimano Dura Ace 7850 CL24
    Reynolds Solitude
    Mavic Ksyrium SL

The carbones are heavy and you won't really benefit or need the aerodynamic profile on a sportive. Most of them tend to be hilly rather than fast (tour of louth is the only exception I have been on).

As for the others, a lot of lightweight wheels save weight by having less material on the rim. Braking surfaces aren't as thick as other wheels so if you do buy some, keep them for sportives and have a cheap pair of wheels for the rest of the year (and the bad weather, give the bearings a rest).

To be honest im going to find it very hard to justify paying 800e for wheels
    I was all set to buy a silver pair of Ksyrium Elites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have the Easton EA 90 SL, Mavic Cosmic Carbones, Zipp 404 tubs. The latter two race only. You feel the weight of the Cosmics up hills and the benefit is only really of use racing.

I would get the Shimano Dura Ace 7850 CL24.

My 2c.

Soul wheels are always worth considering. I'm very happy with mine, more so than my HEDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'v bought a lot of stuff from this guy and it is always top quality with no problems so I wouldn't worry about the quality, more how they ride but they look fine.

I like the white spokes although I just got new wheels so can't get any more for a while!

Well 250euros for 1310g wheels.. is really cheap. So is either the weight is wrong or something else.

I'v bought a lot of stuff from this guy and it is always top quality with no problems so I wouldn't worry about the quality, more how they ride but they look fine.

I like the white spokes although I just got new wheels so can't get any more for a while!
    Well 250euros for 1310g wheels.. is really cheap. So is either the weight is wrong or something else.

Yea, I'm sure they're good. But €250 for 1310g is just so far off the weight cost ratio of other manufactures, its hard to believe it possible, as AstraMonti points out.

Soul wheels are always worth considering. I'm very happy with mine, more so than my HEDs.
    Which ones did you get Lumen

Which ones did you get Lumen

C5 (carbon clincher). From their range of alloy rims, the S2.0SL/XPERT look appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

CheGuedara wrote: »

Cheers. 90e more than wiggle... Might email em and we if they'll meet wiggled price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Listening to and looking at one lad's Zipp 404 wheels today I got a serious case of bikegear envy - I wants them :D

Reading this and this thread suggests that it wouldn't be an entirely rational decision to get them, but I'm close to saying feck it, deep section wheels just look the business.

I don't race but am toying with the idea of doing it next year, so my main usage is for training runs and sportives, though I also want to try out a few 40km TTs.

The Zipps do seem crazy money so these Mavic Carbone SLs seem a good option. I'm 92kg so weight-bearing capacity is something to consider - would these be up to it?

I currently have an IRD Cadence Aero 30mm rim built on a Powertap Pro hub on the rear and a PlanetX Model B wheel at the front. I'd probably use the IRD for training runs and use the Carbones for events like Etape Hibernia, Tour of Kildare etc. But just to know, what would be involved in getting the Powertap built into the Carbone rear wheel?

I hear all the points about the deep section costing you uphill and that generally offsetting the gains on the flat, but my style of riding is I generally go up the hills steady enough but lose time to the climbers but I take major chunks out of almost everyone on the flat or rolling terrain on most of the sportives I do. And you spend more time on flat and rolling terrain so I'm reckoning for me there could well be a lot of benefit.....ah, come on folks, I'm trying to rationalize the purchase here, help me out!

I'm not interested in tubulars and the idea of carbon rims sits uneasy me so I will go the alloy rim clincher option knowing that it's not ideal.

Would those Mavics be the right ones to go for, and does anyone know of a better price than CRC's €950 for the pair (can't figure out which ones on Wiggle have alloy rims)?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

Frank a mate of mine bought the Mavic SLs from below link...you have no excuse now with a saving like that ! :)

http://www.jedi-sports.de/product_info.php/info/p2429_Mavic-Cosmic-Carbone-SL-white-2010.html

I am hovering above the buy button.. Curse you Mellon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement