Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drumcondra to Mulhuddart (Blakestown Way)?

• 22-02-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the best way of getting from Drumcondra to Mulhuddart (Blakestown Way)?

I'm looking at the Irish Rail and Dublin Bus websites trying to work it out. I'm thinking the train from Drumcondra to either Ashtown or Castleknock and then the 38 bus towards Damastown. Then get off the bus near the Navan Road/Church Road junction (bus stop 1825) and walk to Blakestown way.

Anyone know whether it would be quicker to change in Ashtown or Castleknock or would it make much difference? And would I be right in thinking making the full journey by bus would take a lot longer (would have to go via the City Centre)? Also, what's that area like to walk through? It's not really dodgy or anything is it?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Best bet would be get the 16/16a along Drumcondra Rd to Westmoreland St and hop on a 39 to Blakestown Way it will be the quickest. Watch yourself, the area can be dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The spot you have marked in to get off the 38 is near the end of it's route and honestly you will have been on far to long of a tour of some of the housing estates. Blakestown way is not on the 38 bus route it is on the 39.
    You can get the train to either the castle knock station or the Consilla station and get the 39 which will then drop you on the blakestown way. I live very close to it and don't find it dodgy at all and the blakestown way is blanchardstown or clonsilla not Mulhudart.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Blakestown way is not on the 38 bus route it is on the 39.
    You can get the train to either the castle knock station or the Consilla station and get the 39 which will then drop you on the blakestown way. I live very close to it and don't find it dodgy at all.

Actually forgot this option! Might be quicker to hop on the train to Clonsilla and then get a city bound 39 to Blakestown Way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks for the replies!

When I searched Blakestown way on Dublin Bus all I got was the 39x which only has a few services all day, that's why I was looking at the 38 instead :o. Just looking at the 39/39a/39c now and that seems to be the best option.

Adrieanne, are you sure it would be best to get the 16 into town and then get the 39 to Blakestown Way? It would be at morning rush, would traffic not be really bad? I was thinking the train to Ashtown and the bus from there would be quickest (avoiding the City Centre altogether)..

EDIT: posted this before seeing your other reply about Clonsilla and City Bound 39. That seems like the best option. Thanks!

KevR wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

When I searched Blakestown way on Dublin Bus all I got was the 39x which only has a few services all day, that's why I was looking at the 38 instead :o. Just looking at the 39/39a/39c now and that seems to be the best option.

Adrieanne, are you sure it would be best to get the 16 into town and then get the 39 to Blakestown Way? It would be at morning rush, would traffic not be really bad? I was thinking the train to Ashtown and the bus from there would be quickest (avoiding the City Centre altogether)..

As above, looking at it now it may actually be better to head all the way to Clonsilla on the train and then a city bound 39 to Blakestown. If it's the morning rush the traffic coming out of the city won't be bad it'll be the traffic coming into the city so you may be ok if you hop on the 16 as there's a bus lane all the way down to Westmoreland street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

KevR if I was you I'd get the train into the d15 area.
    The ashtown station has the longest walk to the bus stop, then the castleknock stop,
    the Clonsilla stop has the bus stop right beside it.

Traffic heading away from the city is pretty good in the morning, as for how slow traffic is heading from the clonsilla train station it will depend on the time in the morning as traffic heading to wards the city locally here gets busy from 7:30 onwards.

I still think the castle knock station and then the short walk to hop on the 39 is your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Yes - train from Dumcondra to Clonsilla station and then an inbound 39 or 39a will take you there from Clonsilla Station.

Bus times are at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/39ac/

Allow 5 minutes for the bus to get to the stop. Ignore any buses with a "c" or "f" as they do not serve Clonsilla Station.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Yep, a train to Clonsilla and then the 39 bus is the quickest option and the area is safe enough to walk around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get a foldup bike and take it on the train?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Get a foldup bike and take it on the train?

I'll only have to make the journey a few times so it wouldn't be worth investing a foldup bike. The train to Clonsilla and the 39 works quite well for the journey I need to make anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its only about a 30 min walk from coolmine. Coolmine area is fine. Beyond that most the time you'd be safe enough. But is rough enough at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Nothing rough about it.

Advertisement