Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rents around UCD 3 bedroom house?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,
    I will be on the back to education scheme this year , i am single parent (divorced) with 2 children. However my course is only available in Dublin(UCD) so i have to move sometime soon from County Wexford.
    My current rent is 625 pcm but the areas surrounding Dublin's bellfield campus is at least 1300+ for a 3bed.
    Has anybody on or have been on the back to education scheme?? and according to rent allowance i cannot rent anything that is more than 1,100e pcm how am i expected to do that in such a popular area?!
    I have known people in Wexford to sign rent allowance forms and do back handers to landlords but i am wondering if due to the high rents and moving for university purposes will the welfare allow you to go over the normal rent allowance figure due to the circumstances? and allow help from university funds to pay the couple of hundred extra? thats if uni fund will give for that sort of thing?
    I really do not want to be renting a ****ty house or rent in an undesirable area when i have my children to think of. I was thinking Monkstown/BlackRock or Rathgar if anyone else has any info on good areas with good primary/secondary schools close to UCD would also be a great help.

I have also posted this in mature student section
    Thankyou in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

To be honest, if you're thinking of renting from the South side of UCD and out, there are only really pockets of bad areas(Dun Laoghaire, Ballybrack, Shankhill, Bray) and even they aren't too bad. UCD is well serviced by buses so in most places you should be fine. Pretty much anywhere along the N11 until you hit Loughlinstown hospital would probably fit into what you're looking for.

In terms of non-fee paying schools, my own former secondary school, Newpark(on Newtown Park Avenue) is as good as any you will find.

Can't answer your questions on rent allowance, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

You might not be aware but monkstown and especially blackrock are highly desirable and sought after areas so expect high rents, we'd all love to live on the doorstep of college too, but we all werent born with golden spoons in blackrock ;)

you should be looking for anywhere about 20km/12miles of college which is Bray (thats the last 'cheaper' option) as for the poster that is bashing certain areas above for being rough or whatever thats pretty small minded. Those areas (Bray and Shankill especially) have mostly nice areas (infact its like everywhere there are bad areas of everytown *council houses in general*

basically OP your going to have to lower your standards ALOT welcome to the big smoke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Try Rathfarnham or Stillorgan. Will you be driving?

TBH, the houses in the surrounding areas of UCD sell for mints. And rents of the ****tiest houses are pushed up by student demands.

As above said: Lower your standards I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MrsMiaWallace

me@ucd im taking it you dont have kids...i will not drop my standards when it involves my children and i have to be within 3 mile of UCD creche for after school club neither can i be too far on travelling time id hardly see my kids and on full days due to chidcare times i have to be there to pick up! so to live so far away is not possible! and what is OP? old person?!

Pandora, i know the Stillorgan hotel but no idea what schools are like or if its a popular child friendly area with n11 being so close,more for professionals/students maybe? Im looking at a house in Rathgar hopefully its a nice area it is next to a park but still 300 over rent allowance limit :confused:
    yes i have car
    thanks for all your replies need help on the rent allowance/uni fund issue

me@ucd wrote: »
    as for the poster that is bashing certain areas above for being rough or whatever thats pretty small minded. Those areas (Bray and Shankill especially) have mostly nice areas (infact its like everywhere there are bad areas of everytown

What are you on about?
    I've lived, grown up and gone to school in those areas my entire life. I've lived in the worst part of one of those areas and currently live in one of the nicer parts of one those areas.

Get over your delussions of small mindedness and open your eyes.

• Advertisement

Have you check out Cabinteely, OP?
    The area probably suites what you're looking for, nearby schools and creches, big park and less than 20 minutes on the 145 to UCD.

*In reference to your question: OP = Original Poster

i will check out cabinteely ,at the mo im looking on daft.ie, it seems i have to concentrate on finding...
    1.3bed house with garden within 3km
    2.that will accept rent allowance
    3.that is within rent allowance limit 1,100

not much apart from a couple with no pics which are probably crap :rolleyes:
    i can see me having to get something that needs a make over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

gift horse mouth looking

EDIT: Goldilox, geenie rub.

/that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

hi op,

terenure and harolds cross are just five mins further out from Rathgar but will prob be slightly cheaper. takes about 10mins to get to ucd from those areas by car and the 17 bus cuts through terenure to go to ucd if it ever breaks down on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

i will check out cabinteely ,at the mo im looking on daft.ie, it seems i have to concentrate on finding...
    1.3bed house with garden within 3km
    2.that will accept rent allowance
    3.that is within rent allowance limit 1,100
    Is Dundrum any good to you, probably looking towards the Windy Arbour end of things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I lived in Clonskeagh (Windy Arbour/Mulvey Park end) for a few years and the rent for a not-so-good house in need of repair was €1,300 between 4 of us. It was a 3 bedroom house, with one of the downstairs rooms turned into a bedroom. It had a garage and really big garden for a teraced house.

The rent prices around UCD tend to be quite high. As mentioned above, you could try areas a little further out, such as Monsktown, Cabinteely, Rathgar, Terenure, though just remember that the latter 2 aren't on a direct bus route to UCD, and parking in UCD after 9am is a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

op does it have to be a 3 bed?
    heres a nice place in monkstown
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id]=265&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=1100&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=0&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=840531

monsktown is on the 46a bus route which goes directly to ucd very frequently and also on the dart line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Check out the Maples in Clonskeagh, they often have houses with cheaper rent than others, plus it has nice open space and walking distance to UCD. I'm sure there are numerous schools in the area that would do too.

Leesmom thanks for looking but the link is broken ,so couldnt see the house.
    Cork girl i will look out for that area,
    I am coming up to view one on saturday its all been done out, 20mins walk to uni and he will accept rent allowance, fingers crossed it will still be available as some one is going to view it tomorrow :mad:

This one is also a possibility if i can do it up a little although id miss the bath!
    Looks like a main road thou :confused:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?limit=10&id=764936&from_mydaft=1

and this but not sure how to get to uni from here if car ever broke down http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?limit=10&id=850070&from_mydaft=1

anyone help please?

Might be worth moving this to the Accommodation and Property forum, they'd be better able to advise you on rent allowance etc.

nooo lol because they might steal my properties (people who are looking to rent) :(

I might pose the rent allowance question in that forum though, thanks

nooo lol because they might steal my properties (people who are looking to rent) :(

I might pose the rent allowance question in that forum though, thanks

Fair enough! There are lots of people there who should be able to advise on the dealings with landlords and rent allowance. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey in terms of national schools (for primary) Booterstown national on booterstown ave is meant to be pretty good, a lot of my mates went there, I went to Kill O the Grange in Deansgrange, might be a bit far, its church of Ireland, I dunno if that makes a difference to you.

As for secondary, as one other poster said Newpark is in my opinion one of the best non fee paying schools in the Dublin area.

Thanks the schooling is next on my list but is their a catchment area for schools? or do you just get them in where ever you can? surely the good schools would be stuck for places and maybe turn me down if i did not live in their area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Some of the primary schools are more likely to take parishioners, but I really can't help you other than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

and this but not sure how to get to uni from here if car ever broke down http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?limit=10&id=850070&from_mydaft=1
    15A to Terenure and 17 from there, or get a bus into town and 46A/10/whatever out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

anyone help please?

Here, not to sound bad, but you need to read the full page on the house.

It clearly states the bus routes the house is near.
    The 17 goes to UCD as another poster mentioned.

As for standards, I get you have children, but if you want to live in the UCD area, well, its Dublin 4, so rent in general is high enough. The student demand just pushes it up.

Terenure, Kimmage, Leopardstown wherever.

Just search South Dublin for houses within your cost and room number parameters and decide from there which are accessible. Remember also, just because a person is advertising it as a set price, it can be negotiated in alot of cases.

If it is near enough to your price, see if you can haggle it down, offer to sign a longer contract or whatever!

The other thing to note is, you have a car... so likely you will be driving to UCD, but on the off chance your car breaks down for a couple of days... even if you do not have a direct bus to UCD, if you have a bus service to town then go to town and take one of the many many buses that wil drop you at UCD.

But from town to UCD is only like 20 mins so hardly kill you, after all, many students commute huge distances. I realise with children this could be more difficult... might have to miss the early class or something.

Basically, you really have been given all the advice we can give you.

Time to just get off ur bum and get searching and researching!

muboop1 wrote: »

Basically, you really have been given all the advice we can give you.

Time to just get off ur bum and get searching and researching!

Numbers of buses mean nothing to me im coming from county Wexford , forums are for asking questions and what do you think iv been doing for the past 3 days? hmm lets see ..research ;)
    Also theres plenty more advice people can give me..like where i can get a chinese and erm schools (id rather ask people who went to the local schools than parents whos child is there and not grown up yet)
    Ooh look right now my inbox is filling up so no loss if you dont want to tell me anymore :D haha

p.s i was an estate agent for 8 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The 17 Bus (which runs from Blackrock to near Crumlin) is a desperate bus and very unreliable - unless you're close to the terminus you're pretty much guaranteed that it won't show up at the time it's supposed to, if it shows up at all.

You'd be much better to look for somewhere on a regular bus route to the city centre where you could then get a bus out to UCD. Much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Op something I did when I was looking for somewhere is make a list of bus routes that serve UCD and the places they go through and start looking for those areas - granted I'm dependent on the bus and you aren't so much but it might give you an idea.

In general D4 rents are going to be high. As has been said, try Rathmines, Terenure etc.

Also maybe you should think of somewhere a bit further out - you'll get much more for your money, trust me. You can school your children close to UCD or close to your home, whichever is easiest depending on your timetable, remember you have no idea what this will be like yet.

Have faith, keep searching, it took me 2 months after I started college before I got something and I love it.

Thanks to those posting..misslt thats a good idea, maybe any others can add to the bus route list, im surprised theres no bus route list here as a sticky thread or maybe there is somewhere which tells us??.
    I know i drive but i have to look at what if's..i cant see where i would get the money in emergency situations.
    Regarding schools am i right in saying that i could get my son into a primary close to the uni based on the fact i will be attending uni even though i live say 5 km out? that would make life finding a house so much easier! plus the uni creche can still still up for after school club and he can be with his younger brother till i finish.
    I am coming up again this weekend dragging kids with me and im hoping i can secure something as doing these trips is not much fun :)

www.dublinbus.ie allows you to search by area. So you can enter the route and see where it goes through or vice versa. Also, on Daft.ie you can search by college or by bus route under advanced options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Thanks to those posting..misslt thats a good idea, maybe any others can add to the bus route list, im surprised theres no bus route list here as a sticky thread or maybe there is somewhere which tells us??.
    I know i drive but i have to look at what if's..i cant see where i would get the money in emergency situations.
    Regarding schools am i right in saying that i could get my son into a primary close to the uni based on the fact i will be attending uni even though i live say 5 km out? that would make life finding a house so much easier! plus the uni creche can still still up for after school club and he can be with his younger brother till i finish.
    I am coming up again this weekend dragging kids with me and im hoping i can secure something as doing these trips is not much fun :)
    Cork_girl wrote: »
    www.dublinbus.ie allows you to search by area. So you can enter the route and see where it goes through or vice versa. Also, on Daft.ie you can search by college or by bus route under advanced options.

Dublin Bus website - on the bottom left hand corner allows you to select notable places, go colleges then UCD. Off the top of my head you have the 10, 46a, 145, 84(?), 17 etc and most Xpresso buses go to UCD in the morning and evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

Take a trip to UCD flyover. As your entering the college take a right and head up the N11 down the slip ramp that the 10/46 a bus takes. The first block of apartments on your left is called Belfield court. They always have To Let signs outside that place.

Our rent, for a two bed was 1000 per calendar month. 250 a head for four people. It was cheap but right on the doorstep of college. But that was back in 2002 - 2004 period.

ex-UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrsmalooly

Hi, I know this is an old thread but was wondering how mrsmiawallace got on in her search as I am currently considering the same type of move. I also live in Wexford, single parent with a preschool child, I'd be looking to move up to Dublin to start a course at UCD in 2013 when my child begins national school. How did you get on with the transfer of rent allowance etc?

Advertisement