Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Imeagla:

Rinne mé staidéar ar an dán “Imeagla” le Micheál Ó Ruairc I rith
    mo chúrsa. Is é téama an dáin seo ná eagla.
    (ii) Sa dán seo feicimid scanradh an fhile roimh an bhfiaclóir.
    Tosaíonn an dán le pictiúr den fhile ina aonar I seomra feithimh an
    fhiaclóra. Tá sé ag fanacht ansin agus toisc nach bhfuil éinne leis
    an bhfile tosaíonn sé ag smaoineamh ar an eachtra uafásach atá
    roimhe. Léiríonn an file an méid scanradh atá air trí na h-íomhánna
    éifeachtacha a úsáideann sé tríd síos an dán.
    “léimeann lampaí
    pléascann plandaí
    béiceann ballaí”
    Samhlaíonn an file go bhfuil an seomra ag bagairt air. Tá na
    lampaí ag léim den bhalla air agus is dócha go bhfuil sé ag
    smaoineamh ar an lampa a shoilseoidh an fiaclóir air níos déanaí.
    Tá na plandaí ag pléascadh díreach cosúil mar a bheadh an phian
    an pléascadh ina bhéal. Tá na ballaí ag béicíl mar a bheadh
    druilire ann. Tá sé soiléir ó na samplaí thuasluaite go bhfuil eagla
    ar an bhfile roimh an bhfiaclóir sa dán seo agus go bhfuil eagla mar
    phríomhthéama sa dán seo.

Na Blátha Craige:

(i) Rinne mé staidéar ar an dán “Na Blátha Craige” le Liam Ó
    Flaithearta I rith mo chúrsa. Is é ábhar an dáin seo ná an Dúlra.
    (ii) Is amhlaidh go dtagann an file ar bhláthanna áirithe atá ag fás ar
    aill in aice na farraige. Síleann an file nach bhfuil an áit seo go
    deas –
    “Áit bhradach, lán le ceo”.
    Tá ionadh ar an bhfile gur féidir leis na bláthanna fás ar bhruach na
    h-aille dá bharr. Dar leis an bhfile nach mbíonn an ghrian ag
    taitneamh go minic-
    “Ní scairteann grian anseo
    Ó Luan go Satharn”
    Sa dara leath den dán úsáideann an file pearsantú. Freagraíonn
    na bláthanna an file. Deir siad go bhfuil siad go sona sásta san áit.
    Ceapann siad go bhfuil láidreacht speisialta ag baint leis an
    bhfarraige:
    “Táimid faoi dhraíocht
    Ag ceol na farraige”
    Is dán fíor-mhaith é seo a léiríonn an dúlra mar phríomhthéama an
    dáin seo.

Here's a sample answer for the scéal with translations of each paragraph:

Coisir:

Is maith is cuimhin liom an chóisir sin. B’é an eachtra is measa a tharla
    dom I mo theach féin riamh. Bhí turas as baile eagraithe ag mo
    thuismitheoirí. D’imigh said go Dún na nGall chun breithlá mo mháthar a
    cheiliúradh.

I remember that party well. It was the worst thing that ever happened to
    me in my own house. My parents had organised a trip away. They went
    to Donegal to celebrate my mothers’ birthday.

Caithfidh mé a admháil nach raibh brón ar bith orm a bheith fágtha le mo
    dheartháir sa teach. Is cúpla muid agus réitímid go maith le chéile,
    Shocraíomar go mbeidh Cóisir againn oíche Dé Sathairn. Níorbh fhada
    go raibh a fhios ag gach duine ar scoil faoin gcóisir. Ar ndóigh thosaigh
    an lá sin go luath. D’imigh mo dheartháir agus mé féin ag siopadóireacht
    san ollmhargadh áitiúil. Cheannaíomar na riachtanais go léir bia, cannaí
    agus dlúthcheirníní nua.

I must admit that I was not sorry to be left in the house with my brother.
    We are twins and we get on well together. We decided that we would
    have a party on Saturday night. It was not long before everyone at
    school knew about the party.
    Anyway that day started early. My brother and I went shopping in the
    local supermarket. We bought all the necessities, food, cans and new
    CDs

Faoi dheireadh bhí gach rud in ord agus in eagar. Bhí an bia agus na
    deochanna leagtha amach go néata ar an mbord sa chistin. Díreach ag a
    naoi a chlog thosaigh ár gcairde ag teacht chuig an teach. Súl I bhfad bhí
    an áit dubh le daoine. Chun an fhírinne a rá ní raibh aithne agam ar leath
    de na daoine a bhí ann. Níos measa fós thosaigh na strainséirí seo ag ól
    fuisce m’athar. I bpreabadh na súl bhí an chóisir as smacht. Bhí
    beagnach gach gloine sa chistin briste, bhí daoine ag caitheamh tobac
    sa teach agus bhí cúpla duine ar meisce fiú.

Eventually everything was in order. The food and drinks were laid out
    neatly on the table in the kitchen. Exactly at nine o’clock our friends
    started to come to the house. Before long the house was crowded. To
    tell you the truth I did not know half of the people there. Worse still these
    strangers began to drink my fathers’ whiskey. In the blink of an eye the
    party was out of control. Almost every glass in the kitchen was broken,
    people were smoking in the house and even a few people were drunk!

Ar an toirt, chuala mé cnag ard ar an doras. D’amharc mé amach an
    fhuinneog. A thiarcais – na Gardaí a bhí ann! Mhínigh an Garda an
    scéal go léir dom. Bhí gearán déanta ar ár gcomharsan béal doras faoin
    méid torann a bhí á dhéanamh. Níorbh fhéidir léi dul a chodladh mar bhí an ceol ró-ard agus chuir sí fios ar na gardaí dá bharr. Maidir le na
    daoine eile, scaip said gan mhoill! Ní raibh ach mo dheartháir agus mé
    féin fágtha sa teach. Bhí praiseach déanta den teach. An oíche sin agus
    an lá dár gcionn a chaitheamar ag glanadh an tí ó bhun go barr.

At that instant, I heard a knock on the door. I looked out the window. It
    was the Guards. The Guard explained the whole story to me. Our nextdoor
    neighbour had made a complaint about the amount of noise being
    made. She was not able to go to sleep and so she called the Guards.
    As for everyone else they scattered without delay! Only my brother and
    myself were left in the house. The house was a mess. That night and
    the following day was spent cleaning the house from top to bottom.

Chreideamar go raibh an t-ádh linn mar bhí gach rud in ord agus in
    eagar arís nuair a d’fhill ár dtuismitheoirí ach ní mar shíltear a bhítear. I
    ngan fhios dúinn fuair ár dtuismitheoirí tuairisc óna Gardaí faoin eachtra.
    Anois tá an bheirt aid I ngéibheann sa teach gan fón póca, gan aon
    airgead póca agus gan aon cluichí ríomhaire. Gheall mo thuismitheoirí
    freisin nach mbeadh aid ag dul as baile go ceann tamaill!! Ní
    dhéanfaidh mé dearmad ar an gcóisir sin go deo. B’é an eachtra is
    measa a tharla dom riamh!

We thought that we were very lucky as everything was back in order
    when our parents returned but things are always as they seem! Without
    us knowing our parents were informed of the event by the Guards. Now
    both of us are grounded in the house without a mobile phone, without
    pocket money and without any computer games. My parents also
    promised that they would not go away again for a long while. I will never
    ever forget that party. It was the worst event that ever happened to me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Irish plantation notes anyone? I dunno where mine are gone I remember taking them down(i looked in a friends copy) but their note in my copy :confused:

So yea thanks in advance! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

Your hard at it,
    well done fingers must be sore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I have a feeling he didn't type those himself.I have a suspicion it was a copy and paste job.

I'll get some more up sometime this week and next week.

A person who came to Ireland during the Ulster Plantation
    Your name is John Stewart
    - You were bon in scotland
    - You are a member of the Presbyterian church
    - You are very Loyal to your king
    - You came to live in Ulster in 1622
    How you recieved the land
    - You are called a Servitor
    - You used to be a soldier in the king's army
    - You are owed money by the king for your services
    - Given a 1000 acre estate in County Fermanagh as payment
    Rules you had to follow
    - Had to pay rent of £8 per year
    - You had to build a house of stone
    - Had to surround house with a bawn (stone wall)
    - You could then rent part of your land
    - You were allowed some Irish Tenents
    Your new home in Ulster
    - Build a large 2-storey stone and timber house
    - Roof made of slate
    - Chimney built of red brick
    - Very different from houses of native Irish.
    Your Farming methods
    - You did not raise cattle like the Irish
    - You began to grow lots of crops
    - Introduced a new crop called the potato to the area
    - you cleared large areas of forest and drained land
    - Built lots of fences and ditches around fields
    Your local town
    - Lots of new people have settled there
    - Many diffrent craftsmen live there
    - Town was specially planned
    - Has wide, straight streets
    - Has a central square and important buildings
    - Court house, Market house and presbyterian Church
    - Markets are held in the town every friday
    Your fears
    - Feel that many Irish people really resent you
    - Many are angry over loss of their lands
    - Some of your friends have been attacked
    - Your too afraid, Keep loaded muskets in house

I know their not great but it's all i got

I have a feeling he didn't type those himself.I have a suspicion it was a copy and paste job.

I'll get some more up sometime this week and next week.

Aye, but is'nt he the smart one not like us typing everyting out

Oh and them notes deise girl im going searching the sites for ya

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Thanks a million!! =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

You know in the studied poetry on the Irish paper? I got 15/15 but would have only gotten 13/15 if I hadn't said at the start why I liked the poem :confused:
    I just randomly threw in that it had a nice vocabulary and was realistic and the correcter put a note saying well thought out....

Kind of strange really cause no teacher ever told me to do this I just wanted it to look longer!:pac:

to be honest I hav'nt read through these.
    why?
    i could'nt be arsed :P
    tell me if there good and I might read them =]

LibraryIrelandLogo.png Home | About | Links
    The Ulster Plantation
    From The Scotch-Irish in America by Henry Jones Ford
    « Previous Page | Book Contents | Start of Chapter | Next Chapter »
    Chapter I. ...concluded
    Although it was undoubtedly a wise stroke of policy on the part of the King to enlist the powerful City guilds in the enterprise, the mainstay of the Ulster plantation turned out to be the Scottish participation, which does not seem to have been originally regarded as important. Although from the first there was an understanding between Chichester and the English Privy Council that eventually the plantation would be opened to Scotch settlers, no steps were taken in that direction until the plans had been matured. If meanwhile any expectations of a share were entertained in Scotland there was no legal basis for them. Ireland belonged to the English Crown and although the King of Scotland was also King of England, the two kingdoms were then quite separate and distinct. The first public announcement of any Scottish connection with the Ulster plantation appears in a letter of March 19, 1609, from Sir Alexander Hay, the Scottish secretary resident at the English Court, to the Scottish Privy Council at Edinburgh. The tone of the letter shows that he was all agog with the news of the fine prospects opening up for the Scotch. Hay relates that he had been present by command at a meeting of the English Privy Council, at which he was notified that the arrangements for the Ulster plantation had been settled and that the King's Scottish subjects were to be allowed a share. Several members of the Privy Council put down their names in his presence, and the roll of the English Undertakers was already complete.
    The articles required that every Undertaker for 2,000 acres should build a castle of stone, which he feared "may effraye our people," but upon inquiry he learned that "nothing was meant thereby bot any litill toure or peill suche as are common in our Bordouris." He was also curious to know how great an area 2,000 acres would be, and was told that it meant a property two miles square of arable land and pasture, without counting attached wood and bog. He suggests to the Council that here is a great opportunity for Scotland, since "we haif greitt advantage of transporting of our men and bestiall in regard we lye so near to that coiste of Ulster." The Scottish Privy Council acted promptly. On March 28 orders were issued for public proclamation of the good things now available upon "certain easy, tolerable and profitable conditions," which the King had offered "out of his unspeikable love and tendir affectioun toward his Majesties subjectis"; and those of them "quho ar disposit to tak ony land in Yreland" were requested to present their desires and petitions to the Council. The King's ancient subjects responded so heartily that by September 14 the allotments applied for by seventy-seven persons amounted to 141,000 acres although Hay had reckoned the Scottish share at 90,000 acres. In the following year the matter of Scottish participation was taken over by the English Privy Council, and when the list of the Scottish Undertakers was finally revised and completed, the number had been reduced from seventy-seven to fifty-nine, and of these only about eighteen had been among the original seventy-seven. Instead of the 141,000 acres applied for, the final award allotted 81,000 acres to Scotch Undertakers.
    Military considerations presided over arrangements for the plantation. Hence the scheme provided that the natives should have locations of their own, while the settlers should be massed in districts so that their united force would confront attack. Only the "servitors," a class of Undertakers restricted to officers in the public service in Ireland, were permitted to have Irish tenants. The design was that the servitors should have estates adjacent to the Irish reservations, to "defend the borders and fortresses and suppress the Irishry." This expression occurs in a letter of May, 1609, from the Bishop of Armagh urging a postponement of actual occupation until the following spring, one of his reasons being that it would be dangerous for the English Undertakers to start until the servitors were ready. The lands were divided into lots of 2,000, 1,500 and 1,000 acres, designated respectively as great, middle and small proportions. Each Undertaker for a great or middle proportion had to give bond, in £400 or £300 respectively, that within three years he would build a stone or brick house with a "bawn," fortified enclosure, and he was required to have ready in his house "12 muskets and calivers, 12 hand weapons for the arming of 24 men." The Undertaker for a small proportion had to give bond in £200 that he would build a bawn.
    The Scotch and English Undertakers for great proportions were under obligation "within three years to plant or place upon the said proportion 48 able men, aged 18 years or upward, born in England or inward parts of Scotland." Applications for estates were open to three classes: (1) English or Scottish persons generally, (2) servitors, (3) natives of Ireland. The estates of 2,000 acres were charged with knight's service to the King in capite; those of 1,500 acres with knight's service to the Castle of Dublin; and those of 1,000 acres with the tenure of common socage. That is to say the larger estates were held by the military tenure of the feudal system, while the small proportions were simply held by perpetual lease at a fixed rent. The yearly rent to the Crown for every 1,000 acres was 5£ 6s 8d for Undertakers of the first sort, 8£ for the second and 10£ 13s. 4d. for the native Irish. If the servitors should plant their lands with English or Scottish tenants they should pay the same rent as the Undertakers of the first sort. No Undertaker or his assign had the right to "alien or demise any of his lands to a meer Irish, or to any who will not take the oath of supremacy" upon pain of forfeiture.
    These particulars are taken from the Carew Manuscripts, which give a summary of the allotments as completed in 1611, making a total of 511,465 acres. Accompanying documents mention by name 56 English Undertakers holding 81,500 acres, 59 Scottish holding 81,000 acres, and 59 servitors holding 49,914 acres. The names of 277 natives are given as holders of allotments in the same precincts with the servitors, aggregating 52,479 acres. In addition Connor Roe Maguire received 5,980 acres and "several Irishmen" are scheduled as holding 1,468 acres, making a total of 59,927 acres allotted to natives. The Carew summary lumps together "British Undertakers and the Londoners" as holders of 209,800 acres. On deducting the 162,500 scheduled to English and Scotch Undertakers in the records accompanying the summary, the London allotments appear to have aggregated 47,300 acres. The remainder consisted of church endowments and lands reserved for public uses such as corporate towns, forts, schools, and hospitals. The College of Dublin received an allotment of 9,600 acres.
    The total area appropriated in Ulster for the purposes of the plantation has been a controversial issue and estimates differ greatly, some writers putting it at about 400,000 acres while others contend that it amounted to nearly 4,000,000 acres. Such wide difference on a question of fact shows that passion has clouded the issue. The whole of the six counties includes only 2,836,837 Irish acres, or in English measure 3,785,057 acres. Just how much of this area was allotted to settlers it is impossible to determine exactly, notwithstanding the apparently precise statement made in the Carew records, for it seems that only cleared land was reckoned. The Orders and Conditions say that to every proportion "shall be allowed such quantity of bog and wood as the country shall conveniently afford." The negotiations with the City of London show that in that case large claims were made of privileges appurtenant to the acreage granted, among them woodlands extending into the adjoining county of Tyrone.
    Nevertheless there is reason to believe that the Carew computation of 511,465 acres is a fair statement of the actual extent of the lands appropriated for the plantation. The principle upon which the plantation was founded was that the settlers should be massed in certain districts. It appears from a letter of Davies that the commissioners charged with making the surveys were in camp in Ulster nine weeks. In that period of time they could not have done more than to note and map areas suitable for tillage and pasture, and in a report of March 15, 1610, accompanying the transmission of the maps to the English Privy Council a summary is given of land available for the plantation aggregating 424,643 acres. There are also indications that appurtenant rights were strictly construed. The grant of woodlands to the City of London was made with the reservation that the timber was "to be converted to the use of the plantation, and all necessary uses in Ireland, and not to be made merchandize." It was afterward ordered that settlers in Donegal and Tyrone should be allowed to take supplies of timber from the Londoners' lands. The Carew computation of the area allotted exceeds by 86,822 acres the estimate of available lands made by the commission of 1610 which suggests that the Carew computation includes areas of every kind covered by the grants. This conjecture is strengthened by the fact that the articles of agreement with London in 1610 mention only 27,000 acres, whereas the Carew record made in 1611 of the actual distribution charges the Londoners with 47,300 acres.
    Further confirmation is supplied by a report made in 1618 by Captain George Alleyne as muster-master of Ulster. It contains the names of all the landholders and the number of their acres, men, muskets, calivers, pikes, halberds and swords. The holdings of the English and Scottish Undertakers are returned as amounting to 197,000 acres, and of the servitors 51,720 acres, a total of 248,720 acres. The same items in the Carew summary aggregate 259,714 acres. So far as it is possible to test the Carew summary it appears to cover the total area appropriated for the occupation and use of the plantation. That is to say, about 18 per cent. of the total area of the six escheated counties, including however all the then desirable lands, was taken from the native Irish proprietors for the purposes of the plantation, but over 11 per cent. of these confiscated lands was allotted to Undertakers coming forward among the native Irish. However opinions may differ as to the morality of the scheme there can be no doubt of the success of the plantation. Ulster had been the most backward province of Ireland. It became the most populous and wealthy.
    CHRONOLOGY
    1605 October 2:—Chichester to Salisbury urging the need of "planting of English and others well affected" in Ulster.
    1606 Bacon to James I:—"Considerations Touching the Plantations in Ireland."
    1607 September 4;—Flight of the Earls, September 17:—Chichester urges the need of bringing into Ulster "colonies of civil people of England and Scotland." September 29:—Privy Council replies that the King is "resolved to make a mixture of the inhabitants, as well Irish, as English and Scottish."
    1608 April 18:—O'Dogherty captures Derry. July 5:—O'Dogherty killed. September:—Chichester sends to the Privy Council "Certain Notes of Remembrances touching the Plantation and Settlement of the Escheated Lands."
    1609 March:—The Privy Council issues "Orders and Conditions to be observed by the Undertakers." March 19:—Letter from the Scottish Secretary of State in London to the Scottish Privy Council at Edinburgh announcing that Scots are to share in the Ulster Plantation. March 28:—Proclamation of the Scottish Privy Council inviting applications for Ulster lands. July 14:—Deputies chosen by the London Guilds to confer with the Privy Council on the matter of taking part in the Ulster Plantation. July 21:—Commissioners appointed to make allotments and to mark fit places for settlement. July 30:—Four citizens of London sent at the City's charge to view the country.
    1610 January 28:—Articles of Agreement with the City of London for the rebuilding of Derry and the planting of Coleraine. June 5:—Chichester receives the King's warrant to appoint a new commission for Ulster to remove the natives and put the settlers in possession. August 28:—Proclamation from commissioners that allotted are open for occupation.

Enter your search terms [SIZE=-1]Web[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]LibraryIreland[/SIZE]Submit search form

to be honest I hav'nt read through these.
    why?
    i could'nt be arsed :P
    tell me if there good and I might read them =]

LibraryIrelandLogo.png Home | About | Links

The Ulster Plantation
    From The Scotch-Irish in America by Henry Jones Ford
    « Previous Page | Book Contents | Start of Chapter | Next Chapter »
    Chapter I. ...concluded
    Although it was undoubtedly a wise stroke of policy on the part of the King to enlist the powerful City guilds in the enterprise, the mainstay of the Ulster plantation turned out to be the Scottish participation, which does not seem to have been originally regarded as important. Although from the first there was an understanding between Chichester and the English Privy Council that eventually the plantation would be opened to Scotch settlers, no steps were taken in that direction until the plans had been matured. If meanwhile any expectations of a share were entertained in Scotland there was no legal basis for them. Ireland belonged to the English Crown and although the King of Scotland was also King of England, the two kingdoms were then quite separate and distinct. The first public announcement of any Scottish connection with the Ulster plantation appears in a letter of March 19, 1609, from Sir Alexander Hay, the Scottish secretary resident at the English Court, to the Scottish Privy Council at Edinburgh. The tone of the letter shows that he was all agog with the news of the fine prospects opening up for the Scotch. Hay relates that he had been present by command at a meeting of the English Privy Council, at which he was notified that the arrangements for the Ulster plantation had been settled and that the King's Scottish subjects were to be allowed a share. Several members of the Privy Council put down their names in his presence, and the roll of the English Undertakers was already complete.
    The articles required that every Undertaker for 2,000 acres should build a castle of stone, which he feared "may effraye our people," but upon inquiry he learned that "nothing was meant thereby bot any litill toure or peill suche as are common in our Bordouris." He was also curious to know how great an area 2,000 acres would be, and was told that it meant a property two miles square of arable land and pasture, without counting attached wood and bog. He suggests to the Council that here is a great opportunity for Scotland, since "we haif greitt advantage of transporting of our men and bestiall in regard we lye so near to that coiste of Ulster." The Scottish Privy Council acted promptly. On March 28 orders were issued for public proclamation of the good things now available upon "certain easy, tolerable and profitable conditions," which the King had offered "out of his unspeikable love and tendir affectioun toward his Majesties subjectis"; and those of them "quho ar disposit to tak ony land in Yreland" were requested to present their desires and petitions to the Council. The King's ancient subjects responded so heartily that by September 14 the allotments applied for by seventy-seven persons amounted to 141,000 acres although Hay had reckoned the Scottish share at 90,000 acres. In the following year the matter of Scottish participation was taken over by the English Privy Council, and when the list of the Scottish Undertakers was finally revised and completed, the number had been reduced from seventy-seven to fifty-nine, and of these only about eighteen had been among the original seventy-seven. Instead of the 141,000 acres applied for, the final award allotted 81,000 acres to Scotch Undertakers.
    Military considerations presided over arrangements for the plantation. Hence the scheme provided that the natives should have locations of their own, while the settlers should be massed in districts so that their united force would confront attack. Only the "servitors," a class of Undertakers restricted to officers in the public service in Ireland, were permitted to have Irish tenants. The design was that the servitors should have estates adjacent to the Irish reservations, to "defend the borders and fortresses and suppress the Irishry." This expression occurs in a letter of May, 1609, from the Bishop of Armagh urging a postponement of actual occupation until the following spring, one of his reasons being that it would be dangerous for the English Undertakers to start until the servitors were ready. The lands were divided into lots of 2,000, 1,500 and 1,000 acres, designated respectively as great, middle and small proportions. Each Undertaker for a great or middle proportion had to give bond, in £400 or £300 respectively, that within three years he would build a stone or brick house with a "bawn," fortified enclosure, and he was required to have ready in his house "12 muskets and calivers, 12 hand weapons for the arming of 24 men." The Undertaker for a small proportion had to give bond in £200 that he would build a bawn.
    The Scotch and English Undertakers for great proportions were under obligation "within three years to plant or place upon the said proportion 48 able men, aged 18 years or upward, born in England or inward parts of Scotland." Applications for estates were open to three classes: (1) English or Scottish persons generally, (2) servitors, (3) natives of Ireland. The estates of 2,000 acres were charged with knight's service to the King in capite; those of 1,500 acres with knight's service to the Castle of Dublin; and those of 1,000 acres with the tenure of common socage. That is to say the larger estates were held by the military tenure of the feudal system, while the small proportions were simply held by perpetual lease at a fixed rent. The yearly rent to the Crown for every 1,000 acres was 5£ 6s 8d for Undertakers of the first sort, 8£ for the second and 10£ 13s. 4d. for the native Irish. If the servitors should plant their lands with English or Scottish tenants they should pay the same rent as the Undertakers of the first sort. No Undertaker or his assign had the right to "alien or demise any of his lands to a meer Irish, or to any who will not take the oath of supremacy" upon pain of forfeiture.
    These particulars are taken from the Carew Manuscripts, which give a summary of the allotments as completed in 1611, making a total of 511,465 acres. Accompanying documents mention by name 56 English Undertakers holding 81,500 acres, 59 Scottish holding 81,000 acres, and 59 servitors holding 49,914 acres. The names of 277 natives are given as holders of allotments in the same precincts with the servitors, aggregating 52,479 acres. In addition Connor Roe Maguire received 5,980 acres and "several Irishmen" are scheduled as holding 1,468 acres, making a total of 59,927 acres allotted to natives. The Carew summary lumps together "British Undertakers and the Londoners" as holders of 209,800 acres. On deducting the 162,500 scheduled to English and Scotch Undertakers in the records accompanying the summary, the London allotments appear to have aggregated 47,300 acres. The remainder consisted of church endowments and lands reserved for public uses such as corporate towns, forts, schools, and hospitals. The College of Dublin received an allotment of 9,600 acres.
    The total area appropriated in Ulster for the purposes of the plantation has been a controversial issue and estimates differ greatly, some writers putting it at about 400,000 acres while others contend that it amounted to nearly 4,000,000 acres. Such wide difference on a question of fact shows that passion has clouded the issue. The whole of the six counties includes only 2,836,837 Irish acres, or in English measure 3,785,057 acres. Just how much of this area was allotted to settlers it is impossible to determine exactly, notwithstanding the apparently precise statement made in the Carew records, for it seems that only cleared land was reckoned. The Orders and Conditions say that to every proportion "shall be allowed such quantity of bog and wood as the country shall conveniently afford." The negotiations with the City of London show that in that case large claims were made of privileges appurtenant to the acreage granted, among them woodlands extending into the adjoining county of Tyrone.
    Nevertheless there is reason to believe that the Carew computation of 511,465 acres is a fair statement of the actual extent of the lands appropriated for the plantation. The principle upon which the plantation was founded was that the settlers should be massed in certain districts. It appears from a letter of Davies that the commissioners charged with making the surveys were in camp in Ulster nine weeks. In that period of time they could not have done more than to note and map areas suitable for tillage and pasture, and in a report of March 15, 1610, accompanying the transmission of the maps to the English Privy Council a summary is given of land available for the plantation aggregating 424,643 acres. There are also indications that appurtenant rights were strictly construed. The grant of woodlands to the City of London was made with the reservation that the timber was "to be converted to the use of the plantation, and all necessary uses in Ireland, and not to be made merchandize." It was afterward ordered that settlers in Donegal and Tyrone should be allowed to take supplies of timber from the Londoners' lands. The Carew computation of the area allotted exceeds by 86,822 acres the estimate of available lands made by the commission of 1610 which suggests that the Carew computation includes areas of every kind covered by the grants. This conjecture is strengthened by the fact that the articles of agreement with London in 1610 mention only 27,000 acres, whereas the Carew record made in 1611 of the actual distribution charges the Londoners with 47,300 acres.
    Further confirmation is supplied by a report made in 1618 by Captain George Alleyne as muster-master of Ulster. It contains the names of all the landholders and the number of their acres, men, muskets, calivers, pikes, halberds and swords. The holdings of the English and Scottish Undertakers are returned as amounting to 197,000 acres, and of the servitors 51,720 acres, a total of 248,720 acres. The same items in the Carew summary aggregate 259,714 acres. So far as it is possible to test the Carew summary it appears to cover the total area appropriated for the occupation and use of the plantation. That is to say, about 18 per cent. of the total area of the six escheated counties, including however all the then desirable lands, was taken from the native Irish proprietors for the purposes of the plantation, but over 11 per cent. of these confiscated lands was allotted to Undertakers coming forward among the native Irish. However opinions may differ as to the morality of the scheme there can be no doubt of the success of the plantation. Ulster had been the most backward province of Ireland. It became the most populous and wealthy.
    CHRONOLOGY
    1605 October 2:—Chichester to Salisbury urging the need of "planting of English and others well affected" in Ulster.
    1606 Bacon to James I:—"Considerations Touching the Plantations in Ireland."
    1607 September 4;—Flight of the Earls, September 17:—Chichester urges the need of bringing into Ulster "colonies of civil people of England and Scotland." September 29:—Privy Council replies that the King is "resolved to make a mixture of the inhabitants, as well Irish, as English and Scottish."
    1608 April 18:—O'Dogherty captures Derry. July 5:—O'Dogherty killed. September:—Chichester sends to the Privy Council "Certain Notes of Remembrances touching the Plantation and Settlement of the Escheated Lands."
    1609 March:—The Privy Council issues "Orders and Conditions to be observed by the Undertakers." March 19:—Letter from the Scottish Secretary of State in London to the Scottish Privy Council at Edinburgh announcing that Scots are to share in the Ulster Plantation. March 28:—Proclamation of the Scottish Privy Council inviting applications for Ulster lands. July 14:—Deputies chosen by the London Guilds to confer with the Privy Council on the matter of taking part in the Ulster Plantation. July 21:—Commissioners appointed to make allotments and to mark fit places for settlement. July 30:—Four citizens of London sent at the City's charge to view the country.
    1610 January 28:—Articles of Agreement with the City of London for the rebuilding of Derry and the planting of Coleraine. June 5:—Chichester receives the King's warrant to appoint a new commission for Ulster to remove the natives and put the settlers in possession. August 28:—Proclamation from commissioners that allotted are open for occupation.

Enter your search terms [SIZE=-1]Web[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]LibraryIreland[/SIZE]Submit search form

ummmm I typed all that out put in the pictures and all
    :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

None of that looks familiar to whats in my book:confused:
    Looks far too complicated for me anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

THE TREATY 1921
    The Dail sent representatives to London to draw up a treaty between Ireland and Britian. Griffith and Collins lead the irish delegation. Lloyd George (PM) lead the british group. The irish were much less experienced negotiators.

The irish wanted to have all 32 counties and to be completly independent. The british wanted ireland to remain within the empire and accept the King as head of the state. Under pressure the irish signed the treaty in december 1921.

Terms of the treaty:
    1. The 26 counties would be caller the irish Free State and become a member of the Commonwealth
    2. All TDs would take an Oath of Allegiance to the Kiing
    3. Unless NI wanted to join the free state it would keep the home rule parliment
    4. A BOundery comission would be set up to draw the boundary between NI and The Free State
    5. The british army would leave Ireland but keep 3 naval bases

will add results later... not botherd to do it now

Irish Letters

Tús na litreach
    -Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte =I hope you are well
    -Tá brón orm nár scríobh mé níos luaithe = I'm sorry I didn't write sooner
    -Bhí áthas orm do litir a fháil cúpla lá ó shin = I was delighted to get your letter a couple of days ago
    - Fuair mé do litir Dé hAoine seo caite = I got your letter last Friday
    - Conas atá saol agat féin?= How is life with you?
    - Ní raibh am agam scríobh go dtí seo = I didn't have time to write until now
    - Beatha agus sláinte ó.... = Greeting from...
    - Táim fíorbhuíoch as ucht do litreach = I am most thankful for you letter
    - Is fada an lá ó chuala mé uait = I haven't heard from you in ages
    - Tá súil agam go bhfuil gach rud ar fónamh = I hope everything is alright
    - Conas atá cúrsaí sa bhaile = How are things at home?
    -Cén chaoi a bhfuil sibh go léir = How are you all?
    - Conas atá tú ó chonaic mé thú ag... = How are you since I saw you at...

Corp na litreach
    - Bhí áthas orm dea-scéala a chloisteáil = I was delighted to hear the good news
    - Bhí brón orm an droch-scéala a chloisteáil = I was sad to hear the bad news
    - tá ag éirí go breá liom = Im getting on well
    - Tá saol breá againn anseo = we're having a great time here
    - Nach méanar duit! = Isn't it well for you!
    - tá sé tuillte go maith agat = You well deservre it
    - Comhghairdeas leat - congratulations
    - Maith thú = good on you
    - Is oth liom a rá = I'm sorry to say
    - Bhí sé i gceist agam glao a chur ort = I intended calling you
    - Fan go gcloise tú an scéal! = Wait tillyou hear the news
    - Chonaic mé i do litir go raibh tú = I saw in your letter that you
    - Tá an aimsir that cionn = the weather is excellent
    - Bíonn and ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch gach lá = The sun is splitting the stones every day
    - Bhí sé ag stealladh báistí inné = It waslashing rain yesterday
    - Níl puth gaoithe inniu = There isn't a puff of wind
    - Neart aiseanna = lots of facilties
    - Tá na háiseanns that barr = the facilities are great
    - ...ag fanacht in árasán/óstán in aice na trá = staying in an apartment/hotel beside the beach
    - Gan amhras = without a doubt
    - Creid nó ná créid = believe it or not
    - Fan go gcloise tú = wait til you hear
    - Fan go bhfeice tú = wait till you see
    - Sula i bhfad/Sar i bhfad/go gairid = soon
    - Ina theannta sin/chomh maith le sin = as well as that
    - Tá na radharcra gleoite = the sights are brilliant
    - Chonaiceamer = we saw
    - Bhuaileamar = We met
    - Bhaineamar an-sult as = we really enjoyed
    - Bia blasta/lofa/déisteanach = tasty/rotten/disgusting food
    - Fleá fhulachta = barbeque
    - Tá muintir na háite an-chairdiúil = people are very friendly
    - Thógamar carr/arasán ar iasacht = we rented a carr/apartment
    - Ag spaisteoireacht = sight-seeing
    - Is oth liom a rá = I'm sorry to say
    - Tá mé ag cur snas/feabhais ar mo chuid Gaelige/Fraincíse/Spáinnise = inproving my Irish/French/Spannish
    - Tá bean an tí an-chabhrach = the woman of the house if very helpful
    - Chuamar ar thuras bus/traenach/bád = we went on a bus/train/boat journey
    - Bíonn an-chraic agam anseo = I have great fun here
    - Bhí áthas an domhain orm nuair a chuala mé = I ws delighted when I heard
    - Pé scéal é = however
    - ag tnúth le = looking forward to
    - Ní chreidfidh tú cad a tharla = you won't believe what happened
    - Míle buíochas as an gcuireadh = thanks a million for the invitation
    - Bhí an lá/oíche/cluiche/ceolchoirm dochreidte = the day/night/game/concert was incredible
    - Ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad ar an ......oche sin go deo = I'll never forget that.....
    - Ní bréog ar bith a rá = It's not a lie to say
    - Is fíor a rá = It's true to say
    - Bhuel = well
    - cluiche ceannais = final
    - leathcheannais = semi
    - Ar chomhscór ag laethama = level at halftime
    - Tá mé craiceáilte faoi = I'm mad about

I'll finish these someother time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

If anyone wants anything from french or maths give me a shout and ill throw something together when i can :)

magicianz wrote: »
    If anyone wants anything from french or maths give me a shout and ill throw something together when i can :)
    Maths notes!? Woah do them cause I didn't even think you could do that but if you did that'd be quite awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Thank you Aine.

Some French would be fantastic magicianz. Perhaps something on verbs such as the past/present/future tense?

M&S* wrote: »
    Maths notes!? Woah do them cause I didn't even think you could do that but if you did that'd be quite awesome!

I have 3 hardbacks full of notes thanks to my maths teacher. We work from his notes rather than from our book.

• Advertisement

No problem.There's still another page or so left of them and I never did finish those histoory notes from a while back either.

I have 3 hardbacks full of notes thanks to my maths teacher. We work from his notes rather than from our book.
    Really? Wow I don't even have a copy for maths tbh....

Well i cant cover the whole course in one go :P give me a topic and ill do what i can :D ill pop french tenses and irregulars up tomorrow for you :D

Really? Wow I don't even have a copy for maths tbh....

I didn't have a copy for 3 months and just did it all in my English notebook. I actually have 20 spare copies (give or take) on my study desk I just wasn't bothered to bring one in! :D

Well i cant cover the whole course in one go :P give me a topic and ill do what i can :D ill pop french tenses and irregulars up tomorrow for you :D
    Why not?:( Joking, ehh I don't know the whole course wouuld be handy *hint hint* but if you'll only do one topic for the moment I'd go with....
    The line? I hear so much about it but I'm not quite sure what it is it probably isn't maths related but it's the only thing that I can think of and apparently I have Easter hwork on it!

Thank you! :)

Also now that i think about it i can help with science and geography too if needed, though not the chemistry parts cause i hate them with a passion :eek:

Also now that i think about it i can help with science and geography too if needed, though not the chemistry parts cause i hate them with a passion :eek:
    Do whatever you'd like to do, no pressure or anything!

Are you doing your JC this year btw or just here to help?:P

In fifth now :D just in a tiredness-induced helpful mood atm i think :pac:

• Advertisement

In fifth now :D just in a tiredness-induced helpful mood atm i think :pac:
    Ah I see..... Well you could be helpful by posting in the off-topic cause it's getting quiet and lonely round there now!:(

Advertisement