Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit County

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

4x4transit2.jpg

Anyone know where there's a Transit County (4x4) for sale?

Having searched high and low I've come up with nothing. With the exception of a rotten one over in Wales. They're as rare as hens teeth in rocking horse crap, but you never know what's around the country.

I do know that the ESB had a few of them - I think Irish Rail had some too. Most were auctioned off in the past two years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

What do you want that for?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

something to replace my current Mk6 Transit. Had one a while ago and regretted selling it :( Brilliant vans, like the standard Transit but will climb and go over anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

www.irishcarauctions.ie in Cavan auction off commercial vehicles once a month and stock ex esb vans as well as eircom and a few more.
    I am not sure when the next auction is but they could be your best bet.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/ Check this link its full of info on all transits and has a for sale section.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

www.irishcarauctions.ie in Cavan auction off commercial vehicles once a month and stock ex esb vans as well as eircom and a few more.
    I am not sure when the next auction is but they could be your best bet.

there on the auction list for weekend after next:
    V.W.Transporters (Syncro) 1998,1999,2000,2001 & 2002
    Ford Transit County 4x4 Pick-Up 1999

and the Syncro could be an alternative?

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    there on the auction list for weekend after next:

Its a good auction mostly dealers and not so many Joe publics so could be worth the op checking them out.

Thanks will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Could be worth trying the Bailey bloke outside Bansha in Tipperary, he used to have ex ESB vans like that. However I doubt he'd be the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

County are now extinct.

It was a a while ago now but a guy bought an ex ESB county in for a test. It had lost its conversion plate that county had fitted and couldn't be tested as a result.

He couldn't get a replacement.

Also, as far as I remember the ESB ones are twin wheel vans classed as HGV's so you will need a C1 licence.

EDIT: Also, ESB are not afraid to spend money on anything they have so if they sell it, it generally is end of the road time. Those transits rot something terrible too

Thanks for the heads up Slidey.

The rot issue wouldn't worry me too much as I've experience with repairing panels on the Mk3/4/5 Transit. Inner & Outer Wheel Arch & Sill, Rear Slam Panel, & Spring Hangers rot something terrible! I'm not too lethal with a mig :eek:

I've a spare 2.5 DI & running gear from a crashed and well rotten donor County offered to me. It's just a case of keeping the ear close to the ground for the right one.

I've also heard of one being converted to Toyota Landcruiser running gear and 4.2l V8. That'll be a project and a half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

We did work on a good few of them for the ESB and new running gear parts supply is non existant, they werent liked by ESB drivers as they were incredibly slow(slow beyond what is normally considered slow), noisy, uncomfortable and not very good off road compared to their other 4x4,s(Unimogs, Boughtons, Ivecos etc).

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Could be worth trying the Bailey bloke outside Bansha in Tipperary, he used to have ex ESB vans like that. However I doubt he'd be the cheapest.
    A friend of mine passes baileys yard in bansha on his way to work, he said its like a graveyard for ex esb vans and fire engines, loads of both sitting there but the yard is a;ways deserted.
    Must be a phone call job to arrange a viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

tis yeah, he's never there it seems, not cheap either as said above

Advertisement