Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic, ear syringe alternative

Options
  • 22-02-2010 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭

I've been told that it's not a grea idea to get your ears syringed if you're diabetic due to the risk of ear infections. What useful alternative is there, if any? Am I seriously only allowed to use drops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

That sounds like a load of nonsense to me! I've only ever had one ear infection since been diagnosed with diabetes (and that's 17 years) and I can tell you it was extra strength drops!!! It was a bad infection.

As for having your ears syringed.... I think your GP would be able to advise you on the pros & cons of it. I've never had it done and would never sign up for it unless a doctor told me I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

never heard of that one. If you have good blood sugar readings that would be a positive.

Its like dont hold a knife you might cut yourself and get an infection!!!!!

I would phone your diabetic nurse/consultant and ask their opinion.

I dont have diabetes myself but my 10 year old does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cheers for the replies, ear drops are doing me feck all good, I think I'll head into the GP and see if I can get my ears a proper service so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not heard that one before?!? Surely it's just putting a bit of water in your ear, where is the problem with infection any more than it would be for normal people?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

robinph wrote: »
    Not heard that one before?!? Surely it's just putting a bit of water in your ear, where is the problem with infection any more than it would be for normal people?

I had thought that ear syringing was sucking out the wax???? I suppose it could be flushing out the wax with water?

The problem with infection & people with diabetes is that because our immune systems are a bit haywire (diabetes = autoimmune disease), sometimes we tend to take a bit longer to fight infections.

On a completely different note, people who suffer recurrent ear infections are "usually" advised not to let water into their ears... ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I've never had a problem.

Don't know what it is about my ears but I need to get them syringed 2-3 times a year (my brother is the same).

It's bloody annoying but I've never had anything said to me about the diabetes being an issue.

Advertisement