Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC DM Text Plug-On Card Issue.

• 22-02-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All, I have a HKC card that sends text messages to my mobile when my alarm is activated. Recently I notice that this did not occur the last time the alarm went off.

Eircom replaced the line recently outside my house(put up a new pole), and kindly ran a new cable into my house, as the old one was cut and rejoined.

I have the engineers code. I simply cant afford to pay an installer to come and fix it and was hoping to try doing it myself.

Can anyone advise the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

I tried the "send Test Text" option but this did not work. I was tempted to take option 1 (modem service) then option 6 (default modem) but am worried that this will clear all the settings, does it clear all settings or just reset the card?

It has to be
    1. the card
    2. the recent line change at the pole
    3. The connection he made to the main point inside the hall (l1 & l2 - would he have rewired it differently that the way it was ?)
    4. Eircom SMS ??

The phone line isn't run directly to the alarm, we had to run it from the hall to the bedroom to the control box, so I was tempted to get a temp cable and run it from the main point in the hall to the control box bypassing the local wiring, but was unsure if I'd damage the card if i connected the temp phone line, while the battery was connected ? obviously knowing that I have to kill mains power beforehand.

Any advise is appreciated, where do I start ?

Thanks,
    GiJoo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Check can you send a text from your home phone . If so check the line voltage of the phone line at the modem in the alarm panel. It should be around 50vdc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You will have a warning light at the panel if there is a line fault.
    Have you got broadband in the house or do you notice a crackle on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gijoo

Jnealon wrote: »
    You will have a warning light at the panel if there is a line fault.
    Have you got broadband in the house or do you notice a crackle on the line

Hi no orange line fault on panel. I don't have a land line phone that cansend texts. Will have to see if I can borrow one. I will check the voltage tonight.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fado5

most lightly eircom never connected the line to the panel when changed, open where the line to the panel is coming from, check if its connected to the panel and if you have an incoming line from the main eircom point, if you do than all should be ok,
    eircom have a habbit of disconnecting alarms..

If Eircom didn't reconnect the line then the keypad would have a flashing led and line fault would be displayed.
    On the other hand all could fine with the line and the digi could be gone, lightning damage. On rural networks lightning can play havoc with digi's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

gijoo wrote: »
    Hi All, I have a HKC card that sends text messages to my mobile when my alarm is activated. Recently I notice that this did not occur the last time the alarm went off.

Eircom replaced the line recently outside my house(put up a new pole), and kindly ran a new cable into my house, as the old one was cut and rejoined.

I have the engineers code. I simply cant afford to pay an installer to come and fix it and was hoping to try doing it myself.

Can anyone advise the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

I tried the "send Test Text" option but this did not work. I was tempted to take option 1 (modem service) then option 6 (default modem) but am worried that this will clear all the settings, does it clear all settings or just reset the card?

It has to be
    1. the card
    2. the recent line change at the pole
    3. The connection he made to the main point inside the hall (l1 & l2 - would he have rewired it differently that the way it was ?)
    4. Eircom SMS ??

The phone line isn't run directly to the alarm, we had to run it from the hall to the bedroom to the control box, so I was tempted to get a temp cable and run it from the main point in the hall to the control box bypassing the local wiring, but was unsure if I'd damage the card if i connected the temp phone line, while the battery was connected ? obviously knowing that I have to kill mains power beforehand.

Any advise is appreciated, where do I start ?

Thanks,
    GiJoo

Hi gijoo,

The first thing to do is check the line voltage in the panel, If line monitor is turned off in the panel by the installer it wont show if there is a problem with the line or not so the fault light wont come on.
    Can you check if the alarm was given line priority over the other phones in the house, by this i mean if you disconnect the line from C+D in the panel and ring your house phone off your mobile does any other phone ring in the house ? If it does you done have line priority.
    Check if the line connected to the digi is connected the proper way " A+B in C+D out"

You could default the digi.
    Here is a quick guide of what you will need to reprogram:
    The numbers for the sms are already programmed in so dont change them.

This is all you have to do to get it working. What i would do is go into modem service menu first, NUMBER 6 is default modem, select default modem. This will bring the modem back to factory settings for you.

Go into sms text menu. Number 8

1. Site name ENTER e.g home alarm.
    3. Text phone numbers ENTER the numbers you want the alarm to text.
    6. Send text test WHICH ever phone you want to test 1-17.

Hope it works but if not we are always here to help..

hi all voltage at card was 48 to 50 v
    Eirom did rewire the internal extn .

I opened the box in the hall. 2 cables. 1 from poll 1 from internal run to alarm box with digi card.

The box has 2 parts the main line coming in goes to L1 and L2 at the back part of the Eirom box. The internal wire goes to the front part of the box L1 and L2. When both parts are joined its joined in an rj11 type connection . Then my phone is connected through the front of the box rj11.

This tells me that the alarm does not have priority but it never did in the past.

I directly joined the Eirom wires (2) to the extn wires(2). When disconnected the line fault light on the panel went yellow. So this I think tells me that line monitoring is on.

a few times sms busy showed on the panel ?

I think I need to borrow a text phone and try that and then reset the digi modem card.

Oh there is a led on the card that flashes once every so often but the pub says that is line ok.

Any other advise ?

Thanks.

hi all voltage at card was 48 to 50 v
    Eirom did connect the internal extn .

I opened the box in the hall. 2 cables. 1 from poll 1 from internal run to alarm box with digi card.

The box has 2 parts the main line coming in goes to L1 and L2 at the back part of the Eirom box. The internal wire goes to the front part of the box L1 and L2. When both parts are joined its joined in an rj11 type connection . Then my phone is connected through the front of the box rj11.

This tells me that the alarm does not have priority but it never did in the past. I have dial tone at hall. And no other phones plugged into jacks in bedroom so I can say definitely none else on line at time of test.

I directly joined the Eirom wires (2) to the extn wires(2). When disconnected the line fault light on the panel went yellow. So this I think tells me that line monitoring is on.

a few times sms busy showed on the panel ?

I think I need to borrow a text phone and try that and then reset the digi modem card.

Oh there is a led on the card that flashes once every so often but the pub says that is line ok.

Any other advise ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

What i would to is pick up your house phone and ring this number 17409900 this is the eircom SMS server. It should ring once then you will hear a beep then go engaged. If you hear that sequence then your line is not being restricted by eircom. If you ring that number and you get a engaged tone your line has can not access the SMS server.

Cadzer wrote: »
    What i would to is pick up your house phone and ring this number 17409900 this is the eircom SMS server. It should ring once then you will hear a beep then go engaged. If you hear that sequence then your line is not being restricted by eircom. If you ring that number and you get a engaged tone your line has can not access the SMS server.

Will definitely try that. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Caller ID must be enabled to send texts,
    I know its obvious but it may have been over looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

Too give it line priority you need the main phone line going into the alarm panel on A+B and then returning on C+D to the house phones. Connecting the line the way it is with both coming out of the L1 and L2 will work but if someone breaks into your home and takes the phone off the hook the modem card will get a engaged tone and not send the text.

With regard the flashing light on the modem:

Call progress status indication led
    wait for dial tone red
    dialing number red : turning off when digit is dialled
    sending message/on line orange : turning off as digits are sent/orange
    successful transmission green for 1 second after transmission

Line monitor status indication led

line ok one red flash
    phone off hook two red flashes
    line dead three red flashes

If eicom just ran a new phone line then i Could not see how this would change any setting or the setup you have once there is a line at the alarm panel. I would default the modem card and reprogram it, it only takes a few minutes to do.

Any problems just let us know..

koolkid wrote: »
    Caller ID must be enabled to send texts,
    I know its obvious but it may have been over looked.
    My own place is a private number and I can send texts:confused:
    Anyway if the modem worked until now I think it could be a fault with the modem

Jnealon wrote: »
    My own place is a private number and I can send texts:confused:
    You with eircom?
    I have had more hassle waiting for CLI to be turned on & calling back etc,,

I'm with Eircom.
    Can caller ID can be turned on and off without calling Eircom, the reason I ask is my mate is an Eircom tech and he turned mine off be dialing in a few numbers on my phone.
    Actually must ring him to find out

It could be that you can bypass it for voice but it is still activated on the line.
    If you send a text does your number display?

It sends the number for a text but not a phone call

Thought so. I think CLI has to be activated on the line initally. It can then be turned off for voice calls.

Advertisement