Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote RON?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody should try to vote in the upcoming DITSU election, even if you don't care for any of the candidates.

If you think by avoiding the voting booths you're making some sort of protest, well it'll just be put down to lazy students and typical voter apathy.
    If you want to make a point then vote RON - Re-open Nominations.

If you think you've no choice because you wouldn't choose any of the candidates - vote RON.

There's always a choice... there's always RON.

22769_347900545538_714155538_5232476_788502_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

that's funny, but in all fairness, some candidates are strong and should be voted for. Remember, if you're going to vote in DIT elections, you may be voting for the future leader of your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

that's funny, but in all fairness, some candidates are strong and should be voted for. Remember, if you're going to vote in DIT elections, you may be voting for the future leader of your country.

I agree completely, if you think a candidate is strong then you should definitely vote for them.
    My point is more that a lot of people don't want to support any of the candidates but they still have a vote and their voice can still be heard.
    If I don't want candidate A or B to represent me then I should express this by voting for candidate R.

Personally I know who I'm voting for in each of the three sabbatical jobs, I just think the RON option isn't well known and people sometimes choose not to vote as a sign of protest... but that's not the correct way to go about it.

22769_347876390538_714155538_5232232_4625587_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Kinda captures the mood of this next one...

22769_347813580538_714155538_5231714_5367891_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

What would you say to those who chose not to vote because not only do they not give a shit, but their vote will not affect them due to this year being their final year in college?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

vote on behalf of the incoming firstyears

Guess I'll pick the candidate most similar to Hitler then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

and they say altruism is dead

Selling my vote, PM me with offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ajxx

RON may be particulary useful for those of you in sites where you there is a class rep convenor election.

In all but Aungier St the class rep convenor is running uncontested - ie they win if more than half the eligable voters dont vote RON.

While many of the candidates are great there may be some sites where nominations should be reopened and the position advertised for nominations -

Its a part time job for a year, paid ten hours a week, your a staff member of DITSU, and is what you make of it. Id love to see anybody who has a major interest in Promotions/ Events going for it - while the position is currently only meant to be one of chairing class rep meetings and attending some other meetings it is indeed one which could be really really expanded upon. And should I be in DIT next year is something that I sincerly hope the new president will approach!

• Advertisement

Yeah, guess it really depends. Sometimes a person running uncontested is uncontested because they're just really good and people know they're the best choice.... though most of the time it's a case of the only person who noticed when the nominations were due.

The way DIT is laid out the convenor position should be really important, I'm glad it's a direct election nowadays.

Advertisement