Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead in Ennis Road petrol station

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

wrote it on word, copied it over. Apologies
    Sorted now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Decriminalise all drugs and you take away all their power and money. Leaving the distribution of drugs in the hands of these gangs has given them the money to buy an arsenal and the power to undermine the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

KerranJast wrote: »
    No. We need to stop wasting spaces on lower category prisoners and use other methods like tagging for them.

No. Our prison sentences are lenient enough as it is without releasing a wave of criminals back onto our streets with a bloody tag on their leg.The revolving door situation would only become worse.
    The Gardai in Limerick are arguably the best equipped and resourced division in the State and have the best detection rate in the country. You need evidence to prove a crime and the only way to do that these days is targeted surveillance not sheer numbers of Gardai.

If it is that easy then what is preventing them from doing that? I don't doubt that the guards here are good at their job but I do doubt that there is enough of them to adequately police the city, speaking from personal experience.
    We've had an absolute raftload of legislation over the last 20 years to deal with gangland crime & dissident terrorists. All it requires is patience for the current Garda operations to yield results. Building a rock solid case can take years.

I am talking about legislation that will actually be utilised instead of trotted out as a PR exercise by the government and the garda commissioner. What use is a "life sentence" when the reality is it means only a couple of years. Life should mean until the day you die.
    That's not going to be a problem. Politicians have a field day with knee jerk reactions to horrible crimes like this. Throwing around crazy ideas like internment shows up that.

I never mentioned internment. I meant politicians who have the will to do what is necessary to tackle this scourge instead of swelling up like toads for the media and blowing a load of hot air. Too many politicians in this country are afraid of upsetting the PC brigade and their human rights crap.
    No it really, really isn't. There are less than 100 people involved in feuds in Limerick. Targeted Garda surveillance can make their activities extremely difficult if its done right.

Then what is stopping them. I'm sure if you can think of a solution here on boards then the same thing must have crossed the minds of the Gardai ? This is a much larger problem than 100 individuals and you know it. Limerick is overrun by scum with no respect for anybody and no fear of the gardai or any repercussions for their behaviour. If there was ZERO TOLERANCE things might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Liam79 wrote: »
    I think the reporting of these crimes on the news and the red top Sundays as “Gangland warfare” as opposed to just criminals shooting criminals, and this crap of giving them names a la The General, The Penguin, The Viper, Psycho etc only feeds this image.
    I heard your man Dutchy Holland on the radio a while back and he said that the Dutchy thing was Paul Williams invention and no one called him that…..!
    In essence Williams was making this guy into an iconic figure which in reality he wasn’t!

Williams makes his money from preying on fear, and I for one detest what he's doing. Although he would claim that the use of those nicknames allow him to report the facts without being sued, the reality is that this is only half true as his stories are filled with innuendo that would be actionable in court for defamation.

He dances a fine line of flattery and fact that builds a myth for the criminals he is reporting on and thus keeps them sweet enough so he doesn't drown in injunctions. Plenty of garda sources, but very few hard stories. He's cute out, and most importantly for him (and his accountant) out of the four courts.

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    Thats a fair point, I think what we are trying to say though is that they need to be set apart from common criminals. They are vermin with no chance reforming themselves

I'd agree with you that it's time to start using terrorist legislation to tackle these guys. If they're going to challenge the courts and the state, committing perjury (sorry Willie!) and go around shooting witnesses then they should be charged under the Offences Against the State Act and brought up before the Special Criminal Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

They need to bug the payphones around the low rises in Weston.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I heard about this. Hope that his family are doing well. RIP.

Limerick has gone bad. A lot of shops have closed, no TD and now this.

The loss of a TD who has no ethical compass is the least of our worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    They need to bug the payphones around the low rises in Weston.

Just like The Wire:D I doubt the conversations would be as compelling though

"rode the burd last night, bollocks are burning off me"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

RonMexico wrote: »
    The loss of a TD who has no ethical compass is the least of our worries.
    They haven't lost a TD. The bauld Willie is still a TD and will no doubt be returned again at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

The problem is that there are too many ineffective Gardai. A lot of older lads waiting for retirement and far too many Ban Gardai (or whatever they are called now). I read recently that up to 40% of new Gardai are female which is a terrifying statistic.

Not so long ago John Dundon assaulted John Devane inside Limerick courthouse. 20 Gardai were presente but they were unable to deal with the situation alone and had to call the ERU! What stopped them from drawing their batons and giving Dundon and his friends a good hiding?
    Even after the ERU arrived "a stand-off with leading members of the McCarthy-Dundon gang developed outside the court."! What would the LAPD have done in such circumstances I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 paddy-cork

unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mike kelly wrote: »
    The problem is that there are too many ineffective Gardai. A lot of older lads waiting for retirement and far too many Ban Gardai (or whatever they are called now). I read recently that up to 40% of new Gardai are female which is a terrifying statistic.

Not so long ago John Dundon assaulted John Devane inside Limerick courthouse. 20 Gardai were presente but they were unable to deal with the situation alone and had to call the ERU! What stopped them from drawing their batons and giving Dundon and his friends a good hiding?
    Even after the ERU arrived "a stand-off with leading members of the McCarthy-Dundon gang developed outside the court."! What would the LAPD have done in such circumstances I wonder?

I've been to Detroit, which has the highest murder rate in America, or it did at one time, might be lower down now, and I felt safer walking through the city there than walking through Limerick at night, know why? because theres a cop every 2 blocks, walk up O'Connell St on a Saturday night, or even Cruises st, and there isnt a guard to be found, they appear when a fight breaks out outide the Chicken Hut like on new years eve, but if they were there in the first place the fights would probably never happen

KerranJast wrote: »
    They haven't lost a TD. The bauld Willie is still a TD and will no doubt be returned again at the next election.

Yeah you can always rely on the sheeple to keep the train of incompetance and piss poor standards rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ferguso

Is that the Daniel Treacy I knew years ago in Limerick? Does anyone have a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

mike kelly wrote: »

What a sexist comment! Female gardai receive the same training and qualify along with their male counterparts - welcome to 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

cAr0l wrote: »
    What a sexist comment! Female gardai receive the same training and qualify along with their male counterparts - welcome to 2010!

specially because most Ban Gardai are tough B***hs:D no offence to any of them. i think they have to be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Ferguso wrote: »
    Is that the Daniel Treacy I knew years ago in Limerick? Does anyone have a picture?

married to one of the duffy's living in rhebouge , i hadnt met the man in a few years , nice fellow.
    R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

cAr0l wrote: »

Spot on, Carol.

Mike obviously has a bee in his bonnet about our boys and girls in blue - that was his second dodgy comment today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ferguso wrote: »

Hmmmmmm, lazy "journalism".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

we will probably see the contents of this thread summerised & in print tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    we will probably see the contents of this thread summerised & in print tomorrow:rolleyes:

ive already alerted the leader...they love some good dirt they do

disclaimer : i have not alerted the leader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Mr E wrote: »
    Spot on, Carol.

Mike obviously has a bee in his bonnet about our boys and girls in blue - that was his second dodgy comment today.

Someday mikes going to meet a female garda....whos going to kick his ass...then he will come on here to complain about it.....and we will all smile a little....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

There was a Limerick Roller Shutters van at the pumps nearest the road when I was going to work this morning as well as when I was coming back in this evening around 6pm.

Presumably an innocent random there when it happened? What bad luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Osk wrote: »
    There was a Limerick Roller Shutters van at the pumps nearest the road when I was going to work this morning as well as when I was coming back in this evening around 6pm.

Presumably an innocent random there when it happened? What bad luck...

BAD LUCK

Remember the poor plumber in Dublin who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would say the roller shutter guy is the luckiest man and probably still shaking like a leaf.

Gardai looking to trace the whereabouts of a red Toyota Corolla 1.3 XLi. The reg is 96-LK-1814

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

True - poor choice of words :rolleyes:

I would consider it exceptionally bad luck to have timed my humdrum petrol fill with an incident like this.....I would say traumatised isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Decriminalise all drugs and you take away all their power and money. Leaving the distribution of drugs in the hands of these gangs has given them the money to buy an arsenal and the power to undermine the state.

what about the consequences on the general public being able to buy heroin or cocaine in a shop, this would have a detrimental effect on society, they (thee gangs will probably just sell there drugs for cheaper like they are doing with cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Is it me or does RTE news make Limerick out to be some incredibly dangerous settlement and to never go there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Aidric wrote: »
    Paul Reynolds on RTE was just saying different. He is very well informed and it was his opinion that it was in relation to the Coughlan murder.
    Strong rumours that Reynolds is correct, sorry i was so hysterical earlier! :o

Advertisement