Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead in Ennis Road petrol station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Jigga wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Reynolds is correct, sorry i was so hysterical earlier! :o

Its cool lots a people round here think they know everything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

what about the consequences on the general public being able to buy heroin or cocaine in a shop, this would have a detrimental effect on society, they (thee gangs will probably just sell there drugs for cheaper like they are doing with cigarettes

So tell us, what do you think would happen if they banned cigarettes tomorrow? Who would benefit? Would crime go down?

How about drink? You can still buy illegal booze, despite the fact that drink is available in every corner shop in the country. But who would benefit if we banned drink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3YdI7f_bQg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

krudler wrote: »
    I've been to Detroit, which has the highest murder rate in America, or it did at one time, might be lower down now, and I felt safer walking through the city there than walking through Limerick at night, know why? because theres a cop every 2 blocks, walk up O'Connell St on a Saturday night, or even Cruises st, and there isnt a guard to be found, they appear when a fight breaks out outide the Chicken Hut like on new years eve, but if they were there in the first place the fights would probably never happen

Your having a laugh. Detriot (and Oakland) are the 2 places where I have felt most uneasy walking around during the day, never mind once the lights went out. Rundown and sleezy, not places for pure white Irish boy to stick out like a sore thumb.

Just for anyone who did not know Daniel, he has never ever ever being in trouble. Just because he had scumbag brothers did not put him anywhere in that category. A very quite and nice quy. RIP.

I do remember reading an interview with his father about a year ago in one of the local papers where he slagged off the Dundons for what they did to poor Owen :o. Thought at the time that the last thing he should be doing was making such comments to the media, red rag to big bulls and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Someday mikes going to meet a female garda....whos going to kick his ass...then he will come on here to complain about it.....and we will all smile a little....:D

typical womans argument...make everything personal...incapable of arguing the point on it's merits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mike kelly , I suggest you take your sexist remarks elswhere. this is your warning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reports are that yesterdays shooter was the a relation of Coughlan, that he didn't even attempt to hide his face, drove away in an easily identified car, and that he intended to kill a lot more people on both sides of the fued.

Mods I hope this is ok to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Reports are that yesterdays shooter was the a relation of Coughlan, that he didn't even attempt to hide his face, drove away in an easily identified car, and that he intended to kill a lot more people on both sides of the fued.

Mods I hope this is ok to post.

Strange one. I assume it was the indo you read this? I was reading it online only an hour ago but now all stories relating to yesterdays shooting seem to be taken down.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Strange one. I assume it was the indo you read this? I was reading it online only an hour ago but now all stories relating to yesterdays shooting seem to be taken down.

Here it is:

By Barry Duggan, Tom Brady and Brian McDonald
    Tuesday February 23 2010

THE suspected gunman behind the execution-style killing of bread delivery man Daniel Treacy in Limerick yesterday was arrested last night.
    He was detained by gardai in Moyross on the north side of the city shortly after 10pm and was taken to Henry Street garda station for questioning about the murder.
    He was being held under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act 2007, an anti-gangland measure which allows gardai to hold him without charge for up to seven days.
    Gardai feared the killer of Mr Treacy was planning a series of murderous attacks, it was learned last night.
    Officers believe that the gunman intended to shoot a number of targeted figures as part of his deranged revenge campaign.
    He intended to carry out the fatal shootings in revenge for the fatal beating of an apprentice electrician, Darren Coughlan, who died in 2005.
    Last night Limerick was a city on alert.
    Additional members of the Garda's regional response unit were drafted on to the Limerick streets from their base in Cork as officers warned possible targets to take extra precautions.
    Mr Treacy's brother Richard was one of three men jailed for six years for the manslaughter of Mr Coughlan after a trial in the Central Criminal Court in Dublin in July 2007.
    Daniel Treacy (35) was shot dead by the lone gunman, who was not masked, at a petrol station in the city yesterday morning. They arrest followed a citywide search for the gunman, whom gardai believe could have been "high" on drugs at the time of the shooting His description was widened had been circulated circulated to all units in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Have spoken to a few people who knew the victim, and it does seem in this instance that the "let them kill each other" mantra is not valid.
    By all accounts this was a good man, doing an honest days work, and is yet another innocent victim of gun crime in this town :(
    If your brother is involved, but your not, then your innocent.

Paedophile's brothers arent paedophiles by association. Same applies to gangsters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Have spoken to a few people who knew the victim, and it does seem in this instance that the "let them kill each other" mantra is not valid.
    By all accounts this was a good man, doing an honest days work, and is yet another innocent victim of gun crime in this town :(
    If your brother is involved, but your not, then your innocent.

Paedophile's brothers arent paedophiles by association. Same applies to gangsters.

I have to agree with this.
    I know a few breadmen in Shannon who worked with him and all said the same, that he was a seriously nice man.

• Advertisement

It said in the Indo that he was recently charged with threatening to kill Darren Coughlans uncle but was found not guilty.

Mike kelly , I suggest you take your sexist remarks elswhere. this is your warning.

I am not sexist, this country is gone PC crazy

Daniel found himself brought before Limerick District Court in 2008 after William Coughlan from St Mary's Park claimed that the bread delivery man threatened to kill him on July 23, 2007. William Coughlan is an uncle of Darren Coughlan.
    Daniel Treacy rejected the allegations.
    The court heard that he was driving to McDonald's restaurant in Castletroy with his two children when he passed Mr Coughlan in Rhebogue.
    "I wouldn't be much of a father if I threatened anyone with the language Mr Coughlan said," Mr Treacy told Judge Tom O'Donnell. "I know him all my life.
    "I must have seen him 100 times before this. I guess he's gone bitter over his nephew, I never had any grievance with him," Mr Treacy added.
    Judge O'Donnell said it was a very serious allegation, but found Mr Treacy not guilty of the offence.

still there under "National News"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think that it boils down to one simple fact. Innocent people are being killed by scum who have no fear of whatever punishment the law currently hands out.

The Shane Geoghan murder should have been the point when the law makers and law enforcers said enough is enough.

Instead we are now looking at the third murder in this town of an innocent person.

It may seem like a futile gesture to some here, but people should mail their local elected representatives, mail your local Garda station, and mail the Minister of Justice. Express your concerns, anger, disgust or whatever you are feeling about this murders, and about how it is let continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think that it boils down to one simple fact. Innocent people are being killed by scum who have no fear of whatever punishment the law currently hands out.

The Shane Geoghan murder should have been the point when the law makers and law enforcers said enough is enough.

Instead we are now looking at the third murder in this town of an innocent person.

It may seem like a futile gesture to some here, but people should mail their local elected representatives, mail your local Garda station, and mail the Minister of Justice. Express your concerns, anger, disgust or whatever you are feeling about this murders, and about how it is let continue.

yeah email dandruff willie, a lot of good that will do.

Actually a good example of how to deal with organised crime is that of Cesare Mori and how he suppressed the Sicilian Mafia.
    How about appointing an all powerful prefect to Limerick to deal with this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

macheda wrote: »
    Yes, This will obvioulsy sort everything out?
    ???

I have given my solution. What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

We need a batman. And Im not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Rookster wrote: »
    I have given my solution. What's yours?

I agree with you in every aspect. Not every post is supposed to be a smart response. chill out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

zuroph wrote: »

the sad fact is and i write it with a smile n my face but your absolutely right we need someone that can just wipe out 4 at a time, and take a couple of bullets while doing it.......but i dont think there are any super heroes in limerick, or anywhere else for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

caspa307 wrote: »
    the sad fact is and i write it with a smile n my face but your absolutely right we need someone that can just wipe out 4 at a time, and take a couple of bullets while doing it.......but i dont think there are any super heroes in limerick, or anywhere else for that matter

Ya its crazy. The thing that annoys me is that they get all young lads to carry out the dirty work for them with the promise of getting into the gang. Then if they get any bit paranoid they resolve the situation ruthlessly. I think an earlier poster eluded to same earlier.

a good looking Robin could be quite a success with some of the Dundons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Yep Plus 1 to that!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rookster's suggestion (and related posts) has been removed.

I think one of these should suffice: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I think the whole city knows who the killer is now. According to the Leader he was planning a second shooting, one of Treacy's relatives.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Petrol-station-murderers-were-planning.6097341.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Jigga wrote: »
    I think the whole city knows who the killer is now. According to the Leader he was planning a second shooting, one of Treacy's relatives.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Petrol-station-murderers-were-planning.6097341.jp
    I havent a clue :o as for this other relative, who was that?

I havent a clue :o as for this other relative, who was that?

I don't want to be speculating with names but wasn't a relative of Traceys also done for the Coughlan murder? Who would be most affected and still grieving the Coughlan murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

That post is probably the best thing I've read all day;)

Brilliant! Love It!

I can see the next thread title already on Limerick Boards -

"If Limerick was to have a Superhero who would it be?".

I'm sure some of the responses would be worth the read.

Seriously though, Limerick with Batman - Brill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I don't want to be speculating with names but wasn't a relative of Traceys also done for the Coughlan murder? Who would be most affected and still grieving the Coughlan murder?

I have a feeling its only a matter of time before their there will be a revenge killing , maybe one of the Coughlans. Maybe an innocent one! And so begins another fued.

Advertisement