Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead in Ennis Road petrol station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Looks like the killer was on a right rampage. Imagine if he had succeeded in also gunning someone down on the main street of town @ 8 am. He was obviously one deranged individual.
    THE gunman suspected of murdering a breadman attempted to target two other innocent figures, including a relative of the dead man, in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, gardai believe.
    In a brazen bid to claim another life, it is understood that the murderer approached a city council employee he mistook for victim Daniel Treacy's uncle, Pa Keane, while he was suspected to have been armed with a handgun.
    Gardai in Limerick believe they could have been investigating another fatality if Mr Keane had been present with his colleague. But he had gone home minutes earlier after learning of the murder of Mr Treacy (35) at the Ennis Road petrol station.
    Mr Treacy was gunned down at 6.30am and officers think the gunman then set about targeting the two others on his "hit" list.
    At 7.15am the man believed to have been involved in the Treacy shooting approached a house at the Castletroy View area of the city carrying a bag. The householder, who was originally from St Mary's Park, was inside the home but refused admittance to the caller and he left the area.
    Target
    Later that morning, with officers scouring the city for the murderer, it is understood he attempted to target Limerick City Council employee Mr Keane -- an uncle of Mr Treacy.
    Mr Keane is employed in the Environmental section of Limerick City Council and operates a mini-sweeper in the city centre. He began work at 6.30am on Monday morning -- the same time Mr Treacy was shot three times in the head in the Topaz filling station.
    Mr Keane, who is a brother of murdered crime boss Kieran Keane and convicted drug dealer Christy Keane, asked to finish work and returned home after learning of the shooting.
    His colleague was operating a mini-sweeper at Patrick Street in Limerick city shortly after 8am when he noticed a car matching the description of the red Toyota Corolla that the gunman had used to flee from the Treacy murder.
    A man emerged from the vehicle and ran towards him through rush-hour traffic carrying a bag.
    But when he reached the mini-sweeper, with his hand inside the bag, he realised that it was not Mr Keane driving the small vehicle and ran back to the car
    . The Toyota then sped off through the city centre.
    Limerick City Council reported the incident to gardai who are investigating. Mr Keane and his colleague have been granted leave from their duties.
    As part of the murder investigation, gardai recovered a burnt-out car at Beale, between Ballybunion and Asdee, Co Kerry, which they believe was used by the gunman.
    It was found in an isolated area and is being forensically examined. The handgun has not yet been recovered.
    Officers are continuing to question two men at Henry Street and Mayorstone garda stations. The prime suspect for the murder is a 29-year-old who was arrested on Monday evening in Moyross.
    Both men can be held without charge for up to seven days under anti-gangland measures.
    It is believed the motive for Mr Treacy's murder was revenge for the 2005 killing of Darren Coughlan. Three young men beat the teenage apprentice electrician to death.
    The chief suspect for Mr Treacy's murder is originally from Limerick and had been a close associate of Mr Coughlan.
    Officers fear Mr Treacy's murderer may have attempted to target as many people as possible that are connected or related to those responsible for Mr Coughlan's death.
    Mr Treacy's younger brother Richard and his cousin Joseph Keane were each jailed for six years for the killing of Mr Coughlan.
    Speaking on Newstalk radio yesterday, Philip Treacy, father of Daniel, said his family would never be able to cope with his murder.
    Philip Treacy remains under armed garda protection after another son, Owen Treacy, gave crucial testimony against the five men responsible for Kieran Keane's murder in 2003.
    "I was going out the door yesterday with my overalls on me to collect my van down at the back of the house," Mr Treacy said.
    "The phone rang, it was Daniel's girlfriend to say he was shot and I just went dumbfounded."
    He added: "My wife Pauline is in bits. She'll never be right again, and neither will I."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

You can understand why they did why they did it(kill a loved one of an enemy who beat a loved one to death), still scum to target innocent men though. They should have waited for the killers to get out of jail and blasted them then. they waited 4 years for revenge why not wait another couple more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

LoganRice wrote: »
    Is it me or does RTE news make Limerick out to be some incredibly dangerous settlement and to never go there?

You must be new to RTE "reports" on Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

LoganRice wrote: »
    Is it me or does RTE news make Limerick out to be some incredibly dangerous settlement and to never go there?
    You must be new to RTE "reports" on Limerick.

Yeah, just avoid Pubs, Housing Estates, Petrol Stations, rush-hour traffic and Amusement Arcades or walking places while not alight, or while being a female and you're as safe as Houses.

- Media bias against Limerick is shocking......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Raiser wrote: »
    Yeah, just avoid Pubs, Housing Estates, Petrol Stations, rush-hour traffic and Amusement Arcades or walking places while not alight, or while being a female and you're as safe as Houses.

Well said Raiser

This "media bias" from the "Dublin Meejia" is a load of paranoid ol crap.

• Advertisement

The fella they arrested immediately after the shooting has been released without charge, they are still questioning the second person.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The fella they arrested immediately after the shooting has been released without charge, they are still questioning the second person.

Youd wanna keep the head down kkiiddddd......

:eek:

Shock horror.

Crime happens in the world.
    I don't think I'll ever leave my house again!

You'd never see stuff like that happening anywhere else in the whole wide world.

I mean crime must have actually been invented in Limerick.
    I for one have nevr heard of a single crime commited in anywhere else in the known universe, except for maybe under the sea or something.

I suppose it is a wellknown fact that Limerick was built on an anchient Indian burial ground.

Now I can't be arsed posting a long list of murders from other parts of the country.

I will simply say that about 60% of the murders in Ireland happen in Dublins Fair City, where the scumbags sit pretty.

That there is 2 1/2 times more crime per capita in Dublin than in Limerick.

And that there have been around a dozen murders in Dublin so far this year, that we are less than two months into!

But no, that's not important is it.

Well said Raiser

This "media bias" from the "Dublin Meejia" is a load of paranoid ol crap.

Wow, you managed to show your face in here after being schooled on your biased bull about Limerick a few pages back.

I'm shocked.

Care to respond to the post you ran away from a few days back?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Shock horror.

You'd never see stuff like that happening anywhere else in the whole wide world.

I for one have nevr heard of a single crime commited in anywhere else in the known universe, except for maybe under the sea or something.

I suppose it is a wellknown fact that Limerick was built on an anchient Indian burial ground.

Now I can't be arsed posting a long list of murders from other parts of the country.

I will simply say that about 60% of the murders in Ireland happen in Dublins Fair City, where the scumbags sit pretty.

And that there have been around a dozen murders in Dublin so far this year, that we are less than two months into!

Lovely, little peaceful town Limerick, isn't it?! Get down from your soap box and preach about the murders in Limerick.
    People like you made me actually leave Limerick. And seeing what's still going on in this scum-invested sh*thole proves my decision right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Here's the interview Eamon Keane did yesterday on Newstalk with Phil Treacy, father of Daniel:

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/lunchtime/phil-treacy-the-father-of-daniel-treacy-shot-dead-in-limerick-yesterday-speaks-out/

Lovely, little peaceful town Limerick, isn't it?! Get down from your soap box and preach about the murders in Limerick.
    People like you made me actually leave Limerick. And seeing what's still going on in this scum-invested sh*thole proves my decision right...

I'm sorry that as always little old things like facts are anathema to you and your type.

Never could accept them could you.

Where did you go do you mind me asking TC?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cathy Halloran always manages to find the citizens with the most hyperbole to give. The guy she interviewed in the immediate aftermath of this interview, an ex garda, claimed that he was going to have to keep his door locked and would be living in complete fear. I lived on the Ennis Rd for a couple of years, strange I never remember having these feelings.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Here's the interview Eamon Keane did yesterday on Newstalk with Phil Treacy, father of Daniel:

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/lunchtime/phil-treacy-the-father-of-daniel-treacy-shot-dead-in-limerick-yesterday-speaks-out/
    Poor man, I hope his son Richard suffers the guilt for the rest of his life over causing the events that led to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Why dont the media call Daniel fitz shot there a few weeks back an innocent victim anyone?Has the story changed?

Why dont the media call Daniel fitz shot there a few weeks back an innocent victim anyone?Has the story changed?
    He was an innocent victim i know few people who knew him, Andy Lee was good friends with him he said at the time. Strange that he's never mentioned alright but I suppose the media are cocnentrating more on the feud and revenge killings etc. He was shot because a family member had some dispute with one of the Collopys if I recall correctly

You'd better be careful Vampy - I hear tell Sheriff Michelle McMahon is planning on 'Spinning' her Six-Shooters in yer direction real soon.....

You'd better be careful Vampy - I hear tell Sheriff Michelle McMahon is planning on 'Spinning' her Six-Shooters in yer direction real soon.....

i said sorry to michelle just now

Oh god limericks it girl michelle spin sw mcmahon haha

she had you in hiding for long enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

maybe they don't want to mention the case as a suspect has been arrested and is awaiting trial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Kama, its attitudes like yours that drive people mad! This whole "we dont have a problem" "everyone has a problem not just us" ...

Take your head out of the sand! We have a huge problem. Its a tiny city with a huge problem.

We have to accept it before we can even start to fix it.

If there was a march on the streets against this would you say "yes good idea" or " look at those eejits, sure everyone has the same problem and no one else marches on the streets"

:confused:

Well if i hurt michelle i will say sorry,i didnt mean such an outburst,only saw her thread now but its locked.I just hate all the "in" crowd local media.Fair play for her for fighting back and i will delete my comments

I pm'ed her to say sorry and i will remove comments.How can i do that or do i contact mods

mike kelly wrote: »
    maybe they don't want to mention the case as a suspect has been arrested and is awaiting trial

Just saying there wasnt as much as outcry over his death

I pm'ed her to say sorry and i will remove comments.How can i do that or do i contact mods

Vampy nothing says sorry like a lingerie pillow fight posted on here via an embedded Youtube clip.

Yeah contact the Mods - they can remove any content once you've lost the ability to edit it out.

- In fairness you should edit out all the stuff about ImASacks performance anxiety aswell :(

Shock horror.

I couldn't care less what is happening elsewhere - Dublin can fester or prosper under its own steam; It doesn't concern me. You can choose to deny what's happening on your front door but it must stretch your blind spot to its limits as you block your eyes, plug your ears and say nothing while hoping it all magically goes away.

Pointing out other Peoples problems doesn't get anything sorted or advance any cause or make our Streets safer or motivate anyone to put our home-grown rampant Scum Hordes behind bars. If Dublin was 10 times worse would it make Limerick somehow better?

Currently Limerick doesn't have a functioning, peaceful Society, doesn't have adequate Law enforcement, doesn't have sincere, credible Political representation, doesn't have a fraction of the required recreational outlets & doesn't have a future.....

Oh, and do you know what???? The situation is worsening by the day; So tune up your Violin, hit that deck and play until you get your feet wet 'cause this Ship is floundering.

84589756.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=5047FA587DE1CADE11FBB0C35C92BEF14C0436A38E594BC51D3E4C9E6F0B5007

Well said Raiser!

Again with the "Dublin" thing on here!!

Will get over it for the love of god!!! We dont live in Dublin, we live in Limerick.....

What does Dublin have to do with anything!!!! :mad:

See this is why Limerick really is more dangerous to live in than Dublin.
    In Dublin these vermin are usually shot at home in their cars etc
    here....they are shot in public. no qualms......
    This city is dangerous and mental :mad:
    Well said Raiser!

Again with the "Dublin" thing on here!!

Will get over it for the love of god!!! We dont live in Dublin, we live in Limerick.....

What does Dublin have to do with anything!!!! :mad:

Well said Pete, I'm sick of the people constantly comparing Limerick to Dublin.

Well said Pete, I'm sick of the people constantly comparing Limerick to Dublin.

I stand by what i said 100%
    People are forever using Dublin as a barometer to measure Limerick against. So i used it myself. But its a ridiculous argument. Instead of coming up with ways to fix limerick all you want to do is show how its not as bad as Dublin!! And then you have the likes of you who all you want to do is play games of one-up-manship

You care more about trying to show people up and impress your internet buddies than you do about coming up with real solutions to our problem :rolleyes:

But hey..its not as bad as Dublin..so its oooookkkaaayyyy...

Your cool itsdacraic!
    When I grow up I hope i am as witty and cool as you!

• Advertisement

I stand by what i said 100%
    People are forever using Dublin as a barometer to measure Limerick against. So i used it myself. But its a ridiculous argument. Instead of coming up with ways to fix limerick all you want to do is show how its not as bad as Dublin!! And then you have the likes of you who all you want to do is play games of one-up-manship

You care more about trying to show people up and impress your internet buddies than you do about coming up with real solutions to our problem :rolleyes:

But hey..its not as bad as Dublin..so its oooookkkaaayyyy...

Your cool itsdacraic!
    When I grow up I hope i am as witty and cool as you!

No one on here likes me :D (except you and Raiser).

If you keep studying hard and stay off the drugs then one day you might be able to become a legend of the Internet like myself, but until then, keep your head down and stop contradicting yourself.

Advertisement