Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post savings

Options
  • 22-02-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

If I put some money in An Post savings bonds, how often is the interest paid to your account? And also if I withdraw early, how do they lower the interest? Do they take back interest paid already or is it in the current period?
    I have some money I want to put into savings but need to have access and An Post rates are attractive but it says the interest is reduced if early withdraws are made. How does it work? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

mayfire wrote: »
    If I put some money in An Post savings bonds, how often is the interest paid to your account? And also if I withdraw early, how do they lower the interest? Do they take back interest paid already or is it in the current period?

Not sure how often interest is applied. If you withdraw early they pay interest accrued up to that point in time. So they don't lower the interest rate per se. You just don't get to receive the advertised yield. e.g. 10% over 3 years or 21 over 5 etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MatureStudent

Interest is added annually, interest already added is not taken back.Interest for the period between the previous interest date and the date of withdrawal is paid at post office savings account rate (which is usually lower).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

mayfire wrote: »
    I have some money I want to put into savings but need to have access and An Post rates are attractive but it says the interest is reduced if early withdraws are made. How does it work? Thanks in advance.

Have you read the Savings Bond information on the An Post website?
    It surprisingly enough answers your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

Thanks for your help. The An Post website isn't as clear your replies.
    Thanks again for constructive contributions.

Advertisement