Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-felting a garden shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Yorky wrote: »
    I noticed that the mineral felt on a two-year old garden apex-roofed shed has split close to where it is folded over the fascias.

Does anyone know why this might have happened so soon?

If it needs re-felting should the existing felt be left on and covered over for extra protection/durability?

Can anyone recommend a durable grade/ make of felt and if it's available in
    B & Q?

Here are some photos

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/P1070362.jpg
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/P1070360.jpg

Personally I have a very jaundiced view of roofing felt, never having found it to last for any length of time without letting in water through splits. I had that problem a couple of years ago with a block built workshop with a flat roof and a shed with a pitched roof (both at the same time!). Instead of wasting any more money on felt I bought a roll of HDPE membrane from B&Q and simply fixed that over both roofs. Being black HDPE it is not affected by sunlight like felt is, and as it's in one sheet there aren't any overlaps or joints. The only issue, perhaps, is that it's shiny but as long as it keeps the water out I couldn't care less. I just don't want any more damaged tools from water leaking though useless roofing felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is also a corrugated bitchumen based fibre board. you could mount it over the felt. it looks ok. and is availible in b&q and easily cut and worked. its not shiny

Advertisement