Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bioshock 2

• 22-02-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised there's been no talk of this about it's release, or have I missed the thread. I know there's a lot said when the first videos were shown.
    Been playing it for a few hours, and still not convinced. More of the same and the hacking is a pain in the hole (i'm slightly red and green colourblind, and yes I get pwned all the time in MW2). But not completely sucked in as I was in the first one.
    thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's been no talk of this about it's release, or have I missed the thread. I know there's a lot said when the first videos were shown.
    Been playing it for a few hours, and still not convinced. More of the same and the hacking is a pain in the hole (i'm slightly red and green colourblind, and yes I get pwned all the time in MW2). But not completely sucked in as I was in the first one.
    thoughts?

Got it Friday, played about 3 hrs, I don't think its great. Its getting traded asap.

The weapons feel like pea shooters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure if there was a big thread here, but there is a discussion thread in the Games forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

RAIN wrote: »
    Got it Friday, played about 3 hrs, I don't think its great. Its getting traded asap. The weapons feel like pea shooters.

I'm not sure that's fair. The rivet gun you start off with will put anyone down (in the first few levels anyway!) with a few headshots. Bioshock is all about creative ways of dealing with the enemies anyway... you have to be creative with your plasmids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Yes I agree that the combat mechanics are not your regular FPS run and gun but even the trap rivets aren't much good, the first time you have to protect a little sister if I didn't have two bots hacked I mite as well have been pissing at the splicers for the amount of damage the traps were doing. I just defaulted to using the attacks with the drill in those situations. It was still fun to freeze people and smash them but it would have been just as fun to go back and do it in the last game.

I just felt like you were supposed to be a Big Daddy so you should have felt more powerful there was much more that could have been done with your new suit besides being able to go outside on an on rails underwater walk. Like I said I only played a few hours and didn't warm to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's fair. The rivet gun you start off with will put anyone down (in the first few levels anyway!) with a few headshots. Bioshock is all about creative ways of dealing with the enemies anyway... you have to be creative with your plasmids.

The Rivet gun is fantastic. One rivet to the head will kill any thuggish or leadhead splicer, and I'm playing on Hard difficulty. I agree with you Mr E, I don't think it's a fair assessment.

The truth is this game plays better than the original in any way I can think of, and imo the level design is better too.

The problem is it's not the original, a game which I would consider to be one of my favourite games of this generation. It will never have 'that' moment and the setting is no longer original and different, it's an extension of a 2 and a half year old game. But I'm certainly enjoying it so far. The story isn't bad, certainly enough to keep me wondering. Online is pants though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Just completed it tonight, very much enjoyed it. Only thing was, I didn't use a single one of the new plasmids or abilities. Not to say the game was easy but there's a certain combo of plasmids just did the job for any enemy. Felt like a bit of a letdown that I had no need for the new additions.

Overall though it continues the story of Rapture quite well and I'm loving the multiplayer side too...if only it were in any way convenient to find a match! One more week of pariing and if there's no improvement I'm trading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

speargun ftw !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

niallon wrote: »
    Overall though it continues the story of Rapture quite well and I'm loving the multiplayer side too...if only it were in any way convenient to find a match! One more week of pariing and if there's no improvement I'm trading!

I haven't played the 2nd one yet but I'd hang onto if I were you. There is more multiplayer DLC coming for this and some more single player DLC with more story, probably should have come on the disc because as I hear it BS2 was a bit rushed and if it had a bit more time it could have improved on the first instead of being the same game with a different character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Bioshock 2 kinda did improve on Bioshock 1 gameplay-wise, its just that the setting isnt as unique as B1 and the story isnt as good and doesnt twist and turn as well as B1.

Still one of the best FPS games I have played in years though, and the plot didnt fall apart at the end like B1.

I haven't played the 2nd one yet but I'd hang onto if I were you. There is more multiplayer DLC coming for this and some more single player DLC with more story, probably should have come on the disc because as I hear it BS2 was a bit rushed and if it had a bit more time it could have improved on the first instead of being the same game with a different character.
    I thought that would be on the cards alright, they seriously need to fix the MP bugs though, it's great craic once you get a game but, with no exaggeration, I waited roughly 45 minutes for a game at one stage and from the amount of people joining then leaving others are having the same trouble too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jeremy clarkson, i mean Yahtzee, reviews it here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1494-Bioshock-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I haven't picked it up yet. Without going into spoilers, how is the story in it? Obviously, the first was great. Did the sequel do justice? Or is it doing the original justice based on whatever limited time you have played of it? Technically, I could afford to pick it up, but I'd be broke then, so I'm leaving it off about a week. Oh, and I couldn't really give a toss about the multiplayer, in the reply that is completely inconsequential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Playing through it at the minute on hard and just arrived in
    fontain futuristics
    . Enjoying it so far, its nice to play something with a good story and strong background to it. The plasmids and different tonics at least add something different to combat. Altho like a few others have already mentioned there are a few gripes - the biggest being that you just don't feel all that powerful given that you are supposed to be a big daddy.

Multiplayer is woeful, the frequent freezing, host disconnecting and lag really ruin the experience. The grind as well, particularly the last 5-6 levels is just painful. I heard the dlc is going to raise the cap to 50 - why in godsname they think this is a worthy addition I have no idea. So glad to be finished with it and hope I never have to play the multi again.

It'll never have the originality and freshness of ideas from the first one but it still stands on its own and I'd recommend it as a purchase. But given that Bad Company 2 is out on Friday if I had to choose I'd be getting that instead.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I haven't picked it up yet. Without going into spoilers, how is the story in it? Obviously, the first was great. Did the sequel do justice? Or is it doing the original justice based on whatever limited time you have played of it? Technically, I could afford to pick it up, but I'd be broke then, so I'm leaving it off about a week. Oh, and I couldn't really give a toss about the multiplayer, in the reply that is completely inconsequential.

Storywise it's not exactly a continuation of the first, but it is a continuation of the story of Rapture if that makes any sense. In other words, it's open enough that you could play it without having played the first but if you have the story of the first in your head it can serve as a good continuation of it.

Personally I was just glad to be back in the world of Rapture. I still maintain it is one of the best realised universes of any computer game Bioshock 2 doesn't let you down here. I played the first through once when I got it in 07 so to have more Bioshock goodness after three years is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Thanks, niallon. I momentarily contemplated treating this as a rental, but decided against. I know I'll want to be taking my time exploring Rapture, don't want to feel rushed.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Thanks, niallon. I momentarily contemplated treating this as a rental, but decided against. I know I'll want to be taking my time exploring Rapture, don't want to feel rushed.

No problem ;)
    I think a Bioshock nut, such as myself, can like this game regardless. There's flaws, some of them (multiplayer) are huge, but it's still a great entry into the Bioshock series.

I probably have a somewhat stronger affection for it too given that it was the first game I got for the 360 along with Vegas 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

JD1763 wrote: »
    Altho like a few others have already mentioned there are a few gripes - the biggest being that you just don't feel all that powerful given that you are supposed to be a big daddy.

You are one of the original Big Daddies though - i.e. the guys that got phased out and they were being taken out by splicers...Gotta love smashing heads with the drill though

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I can understand that but it just seems flawed in its actual implementation especially after the first bioshock and how powerful some of the other big daddies are.
    The alphas are really weak one blast of freeze and then melee with the drill and they're finished, I would have expected a delta to be that bit more powerful and able to soak up more punishment

Advertisement