Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blink 182 Tues 31st August All discussion no ticket sales or swaps.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

basquille wrote: »
    Not far off..

Not looking forward to the day I don't stand at concerts really. 28 now but still well able for it. Can't beat a good mosh and push.

Although the crowd didn't seem to be into that sort of thing at Blink. Some difference between the Blink concert and the Rage against the machine concert a few months ago in terms of fighting. I guess that's to be expected though.

Picnic now this weekend. Yup ya boyo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dms!

Nerin wrote: »
    Especially some dick in a white top, he kept slamming into some teen girl beside me,then elbowed my OH hard and pulled her hair going by, sorry to anyone he landed against :D
    Feel sorry for the people at GnR

was this over at the right side of the stage at the front? Some guy in a White top was elbowing me for ages on purpose and I was being pushed into other people as a result, the guy next to me looked p'd off by it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

dms! wrote: »
    was this over at the right side of the stage at the front? Some guy in a White top was elbowing me for ages on purpose and I was being pushed into other people as a result, the guy next to me looked p'd off by it too!

Yeah, we were over that side. Theres having a bit of craic and then theres being a prick. There were lads going mental to my left and they were sound, but white top guy and a few others were just being idiots.
    The girl that passed out and was pulled from the crowd was on my bus home, she was saying she got fairly smacked around.
    Alot of high heels going around too, god bless steel toe boots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

budgemook wrote: »
    I take you guys are both about 90 years of age?

ye not far off

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Not Now is probably my least favourite song that they played.

Was happy they played the likes of Stockholm Syndrome, Violence etc.

Even though I had a feeling Carousel was going to be played in the encore I was starting to get worried when I didn't hear it. Love Carousel...

• Advertisement

I loved "not now" I think that's one of Blinks best songs! Wasn't expecting Violence to be played but glad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I too love not now.

And I think partly of it is to due with how it was released with the greatest hits and the really genuinely emotional video that accompanied it.

I watched that video millions of times and hearing it played was something I never believed I would hear live. So actually hearing it was pretty cool.

After much deliberation I have to conclude that my favourite moments of the gig was Tom admitting that their last time they were there they were in the worst place they could've been.
    And then saying "this is our song" before playing STFTK was nice.
    It was like saying our[/U][/U] as in, "you guys sung it for us while we were arguing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Didn't play The Blowjob Song :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Didn't play The Blowjob Song :(
    Thank God!

** cringe **

'Family Reunion' was enough... they're only "so much" (i.e 1 tops) of that type of material I can stand as someone over the age of 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Thank God!

** cringe **

'Family Reunion' was enough... they're only "so much" (i.e 1 tops) of that type of material I can stand as someone over the age of 12.

I'd agree with you over 'Family Reunion' but the Blowjob Song was the very first Blink song I ever heard :eek: and it just didn't feel right not hearing it :(.

• Advertisement

i dont think they played family re uninion on any other part of the tour ??

A V A wrote: »
    i dont think they played family re uninion on any other part of the tour ??
    According to Setlist.fm (http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=artist:(blink-182)+tour:(Blink-182+European+Tour+2010)), it's been the final song for the last 9 gigs.

According to Setlist.fm (http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=artist:(blink-182)+tour:(Blink-182+European+Tour+2010)), it's been the final song for the last 9 gigs.

really??? god dammit and i thought we were jus special :rolleyes: maybe i just am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

I'm laughing at all the 'old age' comments. Lightweights!:p
    I'm 30, and a girl, and I will definitely not be sitting if/when I see them again. Was seated when seeing them twice before and it was heaps better standing last night! Got knocked a couple of times but my bro quickly grabbed me (great having a bodyguard!;))
    I agree that there was a lot of d*ckheads shoving etc for no reason though. There were 2 girls (appeared to be older then myself) armed with drinks that shoved there way through the crowd, they were delighted with themselves until a mosh broke out right beside them and their drinks got knocked over them - doncha just love karma?!?!?:D

But anyway, definitely the tightest I've seen them play and delighted I went, money well spent!:cool:

Only part I wasn't impressed with: the Don't tell the english we were slagging them! - they did the same thing in Vancouver except it was Don't tell Quebec!:rolleyes: :pac:

Cazlou wrote: »
    Only part I wasn't impressed with: the Don't tell the english we were slagging them! - they did the same thing in Vancouver except it was Don't tell Quebec!:rolleyes: :pac:
    To be fair, I'm not suprised!

Bands do this type of stuff the whole time.

"We thought <Place A> rocked but ye guys at <Place B> rock even harder!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

To be fair, I'm not suprised!

Bands do this type of stuff the whole time.

"We thought <Place A> rocked but ye guys at <Place B> rock even harder!"

Ah I know, it's just funny! You'd think a year later they'd come up with something different - one of the pitfalls of seeing the same show!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

At least we got the golden line that was "WE DON'T NEED YOUR IRE...IRELAND!" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Didn't think it would happen but the GN'R thread post count is gaining on this one. :pac:

Didn't think it would happen but the GN'R thread post count is gaining on this one. :pac:

Yeah but not for a good reason! Most of the comments in this thread are positive for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah, at pukkelpop several acts said "Belgium, you were so much better than Netherlands"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Two videos I took, first ones a little bumpy at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I wonder if they reserved their Jedward comments just for us Oirish or did they use it in England too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I wonder if they reserved their Jedward comments just for us Oirish or did they use it in England too

In glasgow he said "thanks for letting us cover that jedward song" after all the small things....but not the other bits :P

Not sure if it's been posted already, but here is the "State Magazine" review of the Blink show.
    “We love Jedward,” Blink 182 announce to a chorus of boos, “you would too if you’d ever had them sit on your face and slowly spread their ass cheeks…” Clearly, after all these years, if there’s one thing you can still expect from Blink 182, it’s downright immaturity. They might have taken a slight right turn in the direction of heartfelt emo-rock with their sel- titled pre-split album, but tonight’s set – their first in Dublin since right before the break up, which they sarcastically blame on the crowd – is still as much about having a good laugh as the band’s infamous three-chord brand of pop-punk. Musical purists might laugh heartily at Blink 182 in a slightly less kind way. There’s no doubting that an inherent simplicity plays a big role in what they produce, but it’s also a large part of the appeal. The older – and still simpler – tracks are all on display tonight, with the likes of ‘What’s My Age Again’, ‘Wreckless Abandon’, ‘All The Small Things’ and ‘Stay Together For The Kids’ more notable for their energy and amusing lyric changes than any great musical quality. It’s an energy, though, which carries this band. In fairness, having not released an album since 2003 (they recently promised a new one is on the way), most of their music is a bit dated these days, yet while it might be simple, it sticks in the mind in a way many more sophisticated melodies can’t quite pull off. The poorer very early material from the likes of ‘Buddha’, fortunately, seems to be a thing of the past.
    The 21st century is an age in which rock music has pushed forward onto a more complex level. Loops, keyboards, and complex electronic backing mixes are practically a trademark of the genre these days, and Blink’s appeal lies largely in their ability to take the style back to its fun-loving, slightly silly roots. The showmanship here is bizarre at times, but also occasionally reminiscent of the ludicrous rock and roll extravagances of old. As an encore, for example, Travis Barker drums along to a hip-hop track whilst being slowly rotated through a fully upside down position. Three chords are just perfect for moshing along to, and in the slightly newer material, such as the likes of ‘I Miss You’, Blink have discovered a second, slower gear, one that – while it still hardly breaks any songwriting barriers – adds a layer of meaning that they previously lacked.
    What’s clear from tonight is that Blink still have a mammoth fan base. Fresh from headlining the Leeds and Reading festivals over in the UK, they’ve sold the night out comfortably, and take the easy cheers along with the harder-earnt ones (“you’re so much better than the British, just don’t tell them we said that”). Almost every song brings with it incessant, shirtless leaping not just down the front, but down the back and amongst the seating, too.
    Aside from exposure, there’s little to divide lesser-known tracks like ‘Always’ and ‘Don’t Leave Me’ from the smash singles: Blink 182 are regularly able to stop their vocal performance altogether and let the audience loudly fill in the various vocals. The stage presence is something they have developed substantially over time: today, they’ve given up the huge flaming ‘****’ sign that used to grace their backdrop, replacing it with porthole screens, a dramatic entre involving a dropping curtain and a huge confetti shower accompanying the closing song. For a three-piece, they fill the stage remarkably well.
    Sure, being a Blink 182 fan might still be a domain largely populated by sweaty, bouncing teenagers and post-teenage fans highly amused by the spontaneous insertion of swear words into sentences, but this was never about sophistication. What it is about is energy, infectiousness and an ability to perform in a way that ceaselessly entertains, if in an invariably child-like way. In other words, it’s entirely unpretentious, laugh-a-minute fun, and who doesn’t enjoy that?

Again apologies if I'm re-posting this (I'm a boards noob ), here is a review of the gig from the Herald.
    "You made us break up, you f***ers!" Hmmm, you make an interesting point there, Tom. Yes, the last show that San Diego pop punk pioneers Blink-182 ever played in front of a live audience before p*ssing on their chips in spectacular fashion was in fact six years ago within these very same walls. And, while Mr DeLonge may just be joking with us tonight, we can't help but feel a tad responsible for the events that followed.
    We're talking major arguments here; the kind that would eventually lead to the guys calling it quits on not just the band, but indeed, their friendships. But we all know where this one is going, don't we?
    Yep, after years spent drifting in and out of various musical side projects, the lads finally made up following a horrific plane crash two years ago in which drummer Travis Barker barely escaped with his life.
    There's a whole lot more to the story, of course, but that's neither here nor there as the newly revitalised trio take to their instruments for what turns out to be a mightily impressive comeback.
    There's no denying the fact that Tom, Travis, and mischievous bass player Mark Hoppus certainly know their way around a cracking tune, not least What's My Age Again, and the brilliant All the Small Things.
    wonderful
    Tom's questionable ability as a live vocalist aside, they sound wonderfully tight for a group of musicians who've yet to record a new album together, and while there may be times when they refuse to part ways with the adolescent melodies and delivery of their heyday, it's songs such as the superbly arranged I Miss You that reminds us just how exciting and mature a path they began to tread before splitting.
    Visually speaking, it's quite a stunning show, too -- the pinnacle of which arrives when Barker is turned upside down and spun around for one of the most entertaining drum solos I've ever seen. Another tinsel-wrapped ingredient to make up for a lack of new material? Perhaps, but that's not important.
    What matters is that the players in front of us seem to have rediscovered the enjoyment that can only be experienced when all three of them unite for a most excellent exhibition of thrilling musical madness. And for those fortunate enough to witness such an event, that enjoyment is pretty damn infectious.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

When we arrived at the O2 i was waiting for them girl scanning the ticket to say to my friends (who had Seating Tickets) they have to go to a different entrance but the girl scanning just told us that Blink had just came on stage and we all walked into the standing area happy as larry :)

Not sure if it's been posted already, but here is the "State Magazine" review of the Blink show.

3 chord pop punk band???????? i fcuking hate that saying :mad::mad::mad::mad: and they arent a 3 chord band !!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

my friend was at leeds and new about them ripping the piss outa jedward so they musta done it in england also! but it was still such an amazing show im still on a high 1000 times better then the last one!!

i told you how strong i am with karma guys :P:) so me giving my passes to those two girls who wernt let back in the line .. . i got 2 blink crew t-shirts and the guy who got them for me that is the house sparks for the 02 got me a plec and travis and marks auto graph :D:D:D: chuffed to bits !!!!!

• Advertisement

A V A wrote: »
    i told you how strong i am with karma guys :P:) so me giving my passes to those two girls who wernt let back in the line .. . i got 2 blink crew t-shirts and the guy who got them for me that is the house sparks for the 02 got me a plec and travis and marks auto graph :D:D:D: chuffed to bits !!!!!

Cool. Does the plec have a blink smiley face on it?

Advertisement