Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad for brazil match named

• 22-02-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Manchester City), Keiren Westwood (Coventry City), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United).

Defenders: Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Kevin Kilbane (Hull City), Kevin Foley (Wolves), Sean St Ledger (Preston North End), Paul McShane (Hull City), Marc Wilson (Portsmouth), Greg Cunningham (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Damien Duff (Fulham), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen Hunt (Hull City), Liam Lawrence (Stoke City), James McCarthy (Wigan Athletic).

Forwards:Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Robbie Keane (Celtic), Shane Long (Reading), Leon Best (Newcastle United).

Good to see mccarthy in there. Nothing too exciting to be fair...dont know if cunningham or wilson would be part of the euro qualifiers, but mccarthy could be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No Fahey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Go away McShane you donkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No Fahey again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, no Fahey.

joke.

f*ck off Paul McShane.

please come back Stephen Carr

Stephen Ward?

i've never seen Greg Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I thought he might have given a call up to that young Coleman fella from Everton, has looked pretty good the few chances he has got this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Really really disappointed that Trap is including a totally untried novice in Greg Cunningham and not picking Stephen Ward (Wolves) who has had a couple of decent seasons, one in the premiership at left full. I have a feeling that he doesn't realise the chap is Irish. I know Mancini has probably told him about Cunningham, who may yet be a very decent player, but its not his time.

Glad to see McCarthy in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looking forward to seeing what McCarthy can do. Altho I suspect Trap will shunt him out to the right wing when he subs on.

Greg Cunningham is an LB, right? Hopefully he gets some gametime - badly need options in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Great to see McCarthy there, but the sceptic in me thinks it is just to make him 100% for us, wonder if Trap made the call.

Stupid to think Fahey has not been called up again (obviosuly doesnt fit the system) , i know it is Brazil and all that but it is a waste not blooding some new talent in there too, results don't matter in these friendlies, and we know we need to try something different for the Euro Qualifiers.

As another said, Coleman should be given a run around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tbh Fahey hasn't started over half the games this season... but I get what you're saying, Cunningham etc

Joke really

Stokes and Murphy have been doing well lately too and still Best and Long get the nod. The likes of Delap and Morrison may forget about it

edit: and Ward too good call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Stephen Reid injured again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

think trap said that he wouldnt have wholesale changes in this squad, but will have a training camp at the end of the season and tryout new players there

nice to see mccarthy in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Andy Reid is injured so Trap avoids pissing everyone off again. ;)

Admittedly the Scottish league is poor, but is it any worse than the likes of the Norwegian and Greek leagues, both of whose countries call up players from them respective leagues? To cut to the chase - Anthony Stokes is brimming with confidence at the moment and should be in ahead of Long.

Stephen Ward and Keith Fahey should also be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Des wrote: »
    Is Stephen Reid injured again?

No just not match fit still, he was on the bench for Blackburn yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No Stephen Ireland!!??

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

How Kevin Kilbane continues to get in baffles me,he hasnt started a league game since October!! Yet he'll still start against Brazil.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good luck Marc Wilson, hopefully he will get a game, he has put in a lot of effort in a very difficult season.

Good luck Marc Wilson, hopefully he will get a game, he has put in a lot of effort in a very difficult season.

Is it true he's shite and a liability? That's what my Pompey supporting mate told me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No Brian Murphy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is it true he's shite and a liability? That's what my Pompey supporting mate told me!

It is very true...see the game against Stoke the other night as proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

im not too suprised their hasnt been more changes to the squad...im sure he wants to give his squad during the qualifiers the glamour match against Brazil (and making a good call exposing McCarthy to this glamour match, incase his head is been turned).

Id more interested to see who he would call up for the less meaningless friendlies...he really does need a proper alternative to Kilbane...with Ward being the obvious choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great that McCarthy is in there, he has been impressive for Wigan and looks a real prospect, he definitely deserves a chance.

LowOdour wrote: »
    im not too suprised their hasnt been more changes to the squad...im sure he wants to give his squad during the qualifiers the glamour match against Brazil (and making a good call exposing McCarthy to this glamour match, incase his head is been turned).

Two valid points in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No Brian Murphy either.

and..........No Barry Murphy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good to see Cunningham in there. Seems a good prospect, though he was little too keen against Scunthorpe in the cup.

Very raw but he'll learn a lot just from being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

fullstop wrote: »
    It is very true...see the game against Stoke the other night as proof.

Scores some stunning own goals though @1.26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

The stephen ireland ship has long sailed. But the Jamie O' Hara boat hasnt. A serious bit of stuff would certainly solve our midfield problem. I'd be puttin serious pressure on him to declare for Ireland if I was Trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The stephen ireland ship has long sailed. But the Jamie O' Hara boat hasnt. A serious bit of stuff would certainly solve our midfield problem. I'd be puttin serious pressure on him to declare for Ireland if I was Trap!

Why would Trap put pressure on him? Putting pressure on him is the opposite of what he should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

only 4 forwards? seriously? really should try somebody else for friendlies upfront, a few come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

He gets a lot of unfair criticism.

He is not a central defender, but that is where he is being played. Not only is he being played out of position, he is in the middle of a dodgy defence that is playing with no confidence.

When he plays defensive midfield or even right back, he looks much much better.

I don't think we'll see him in a Man U shirt any time soon, but he certainly isn't crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0222/northernireland.html

This will be sure to create another sh1tstorm. Any Everton fans care to fill us in on him? I've noticed him on the bench for them a lot but can't recall seeing him play.

Brilliant stuff with Duffy declaring. Looks very promising!

(also would have liked to see Seamus Coleman be in the squad!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Just hope to God James McCarthy doesn't play guitar and sing..... its a major NO NO in getting selected for Traps squad !!

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Brilliant stuff with Duffy declaring. Looks very promising!

(also would have liked to see Seamus Coleman be in the squad!)

Yes to both points,for Irish interests I would have liked to see Duffy and/or Coleman leave Everton on loan to get some game time this season.Now Everton's earlier injury crisis seems to be over I cant see them getting in the team

Delighted that James McCarthy is in the squad, have a feeling he'll be mainstay in our midfield for many years to come. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Trap says there are another 2 or 3 players who could declare for Ireland but they are giving them time??????

Wonder who he is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No Fahey or Stokes disappoints me. But to overlook Stephen Ward and keep that McShane fella in the squad is a joke. Overlook Ward with a Carr or something but McShane. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    Trap says there are another 2 or 3 players who could declare for Ireland but they are giving them time??????

Wonder who he is talking about.

Simon Cox and Jamie O'Hara are the two I'd hear mentioned most often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Happy to see Wilson and McCarthy in the squad anyways, can't say I've ever seen this Cunningham lad play but if he is called up to the squad at this age ahead of some players left out I'm hoping he has potential and just being in and around the squad will give him some experience as I really don't want to have to depend on Kilbane for another campaign. Some good players left out of the squad who arguably deserve a call up at this stage with the likes of Ward and Stokes being very unlucky not to be included. Hopefully for the friendlies in May we'll see them both, Fahey, Carr and O'Hara and Cox included.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

no gary breen?

Happy to see Wilson and McCarthy in the squad anyways, can't say I've ever seen this Cunningham lad play but if he is called up to the squad at this age ahead of some players left out I'm hoping he has potential and just being in and around the squad will give him some experience as I really don't want to have to depend on Kilbane for another campaign. Some good players left out of the squad who arguably deserve a call up at this stage with the likes of Ward and Stokes being very unlucky not to be included. Hopefully for the friendlies in May we'll see them both, Fahey, Carr and O'Hara and Cox included.

If he is first choice left back for the qualifiers I'll be bitterly disappointed. Thank for the years of service where you never gave anything but 100%, however sorry Killer your time has come. I'm very surprised Stephen Ward isn't in the squad, I can only presume Greg Cunningham is looking an excellent prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The team for the future isn't looking too bad I think there hoping Kyle Naughton might Declare as well, my only worry is where are the goals going to come from we don't have anyone to take over from Keane up-front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Great news about McCarthy, I hope he gets capped as there have been noises lately he may reconsider and declare for Scotland after all. He's the real deal I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

The team for the future isn't looking too bad I think there hoping Kyle Naughton might Declare as well, my only worry is where are the goals going to come from we don't have anyone to take over from Keane up-front

True, we are desperate for a striker. It's very pleasing that we have a fresh batch of young lads but they're all defenders and midfielders!

Surely Anthony Stokes should be given a game. OK it's the SPL but 14 goals in 22 games is highly impressive. People point at his performances in the Premiership with Sunderland but it should be pointed out that he never got a reasonable run in the starting XI and he was often deployed on the wing when he's a centre-forward.

karma_ wrote: »
    Great news about McCarthy, I hope he gets capped as there have been noises lately he may reconsider and declare for Scotland after all. He's the real deal I think.

He has hit this on the head a few times now and has said that he has no intention to declare for Scotland. He's very firm on this and insists he is Irish and wants to play for his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Naughton declaring for Ireland would be fairly shocking.

Well possible squad for the future is

Given
    Coleman--Duffy--StLedger--Cunningham

McGeady--McCarthy--Whelan--O'Hara/Keogh

Doyle--Stokes?---

Thats not too shabby and Westwood looks a good replacement for Given when he retires.

Given

Doyle--Stokes?---

Thats not too shabby and Westwood looks a good replacement for Given when he retires.

Sledge isn't progressing as fast as originally thought. His loan spell at Boro was average. :(

Is that Keogh as in Andy? Not Ireland class IMO, he'll be back in the lower leagues in a year or two.

Sledge isn't progressing as fast as originally thought. His loan spell at Boro was average. :(

Is that Keogh as in Andy? Not Ireland class IMO, he'll be back in the lower leagues in a year or two.
    Ya as in Andy hunt Lawerence and duff are getting on now Lawerence maybe has another world cup but who else do we have for the left then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Given

Doyle--Stokes?---

I reckon Richard Dunne will be in the Irish team for as long as Given is. Both have another WC Campaign in them if that's what you're naming the above team for.

Given

Doyle--Stokes?---

JOS?

• Advertisement
Advertisement