Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad for brazil match named

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Get the caps done asap is always my opinion.

Disappointed not to see Ward, but I don't think its a major issue.

I do hope, hope, that Trap reconsiders A. Reid post-injury. I understand why he didn't do it for the last campaign, and supported him, but he's gotten his desired affect, Reid has turned his career around and now offers something different, even on the wings. I'd like Trap to give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

keane2097 wrote: »
    JOS?
    Very possible inclusion as well
    This from todays Indie where it sounds like O'Hara is putting the paper work through to declare for Ireland
    O'Hara and Duffy poised to bolster Ireland ranks

IRELAND'S player pool is set to be boosted on the double with Jamie O'Hara to commit to the cause and talented Everton defender Shane Duffy rocking Northern Ireland by performing an about-turn on his international intentions.
    Spurs midfielder O'Hara, currently on loan with Portsmouth, is ready to capitalise on a change in FIFA eligibility rules which allow an individual who has lined out for one country at U-21 level to switch his allegiances and play for another at senior level.
    Irish-qualified O'Hara represented England in the European U-21 Championships but is understood to be interested in pulling on the green jersey.
    Giovanni Trapattoni refused to mention him by name yesterday, but admitted there was someone on the way -- once the relevant papers are processed -- who is a left-footed player, although not necessarily a left-winger.
    When the name of O'Hara -- who fits the description -- was put directly to the Irish boss he smiled and made a quip about not knowing who that was.
    "There are others we can wait until next month for," he said. "They play in England, and their father or grandfather is Irish. They can play with us. There is one. We need to prepare the documentation.
    "I do not wish to say who the players are because it can then end up in the media and there is pressure. There is one who is particularly interested. He is the left-sided player."
    Meanwhile, Duffy's decision to opt for the Republic has shocked football officials north of the border who were convinced they'd got in there first to nab the Derry-born centre-half, who has a father from Donegal.
    Northern Irish boss Nigel Worthington was so keen to secure the highly-rated youngster that he brought him to Italy last June for a senior international just six months after his 17th birthday.
    Since then, Duffy, who turned 18 in January, has been a regular in the Northern Irish U-21 side and he broke into the Everton first-team picture for the Europa League group games alongside Donegal's rising star, Seamus Coleman. Worthington and Co were confident that he was theirs for the long haul but, yesterday, at the announcement of his squad for next week's friendly with Albania, Worthington admitted that Duffy had contacted him to inform him of a change of heart after being selected for the game where he was expected to make his full debut.
    In a bizarre move, the IFA then released the panel for the game with Duffy's name included. However, that ship has now sailed, a further disappointment for the North, who were sore at losing Darron Gibson and have also missed out on Marc Wilson, another who was born in Northern Ireland but committed to the Republic, and was named in the senior squad for the first time yesterday by Trapattoni.
    - Daniel McDonnell
    Irish Independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pretty annoyed Fahey hasn't gotten a call up to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

would prefer to see the likes of fahey getting in before o hara any day,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Getting Jamie O'Hara in would be absolutely smashing - we're sorely lacking a playmaker. He'll be at a top 10 PL club next season IMO.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    would prefer to see the likes of fahey getting in before o hara any day,

In a way I agree because Fahey is one our own, but O'Hara is a superior player tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In a way I agree because Fahey is one our own, but O'Hara is a superior player tbh.

Sure if we can have both all the better.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sure if we can have both all the better.

Yeah that's true. :P

Anyone else think Darron Gibson is shite? He'll be playing for a Championship club in a few season. Apart from a rocket of a shot, what exactly does he offer? I've watched him about a dozen times now! Fahey >>>>>>>>> Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Yeah that's true. :P

Anyone else think Darron Gibson is shite? He'll be playing for a Championship club in a few season. Apart from a rocket of a shot, what exactly does he offer? I've watched him about a dozen times now! Fahey >>>>>>>>> Gibson.

While I agree he still has much to prove to remain at Man U, I think he certainly has to potential to remain the premiership. I still reckon he could get into the United team. How many times has it been said the Fletcher was championship standard, but now look at him-many people suggesting he was the missing piece for United in the Champions League Final last year.

As an Irish fan I was very encouraged to see the faith Ferguson has put in Gibson as many other Prem managers could have shipped him off during January.

With regards Fahey, I do agree that he should be rewarded for his form this season and certainly has played his part in getting Birmingham into the top half.

One player who I am surprised nobody has already pointed out is Shane Long. His place in the Reading XI isn't very secure and his goal tally is poor, 4 goals in 18 appearances in the Championship. Surely Stokes should get the nod there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Im also disappointed Keith Fahey is not in the squad but I certainly wouldnt have him in the first 11. He's a top championship player but just lacks certian qualities to be a regular premiership player imo. Thought he would have played a slighty bigger role at birmingham this season but he is sometimes half a second too slow to see the pass. (also thought James O' Shea would have made more of an impact this season) From what I see, Fahey can also at times let the game pass him by and he doesnt always put a stamp on the game.

At 27 he does still seem to be improving but I think its unlikely hes going to reach the heights required. A useful player who I would definitely have in the squad.

I wouldnt have Andy Keogh as a future solution to our problems. Definitely not an the left anyway!

Personally I'd rate Jamie O' Hara streets ahead of above! I reckon he's a class act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

While I agree he still has much to prove to remain at Man U, I think he certainly has to potential to remain the premiership....

....One player who I am surprised nobody has already pointed out is Shane Long. His place in the Reading XI isn't very secure and his goal tally is poor, 4 goals in 18 appearances in the Championship. Surely Stokes should get the nod there!

I too would have doubts about Gibson but I live in hope.

But on the Shane Long issue, this is probally the first squad in about the last 6 that that I welcome his inclusion. He really isnt in a secure position at Reading but is beginning show glimpses of his natural talent of late. I think he needs every bit of incouragement at this point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Admittedly the Scottish league is poor, but is it any worse than the likes of the Norwegian and Greek leagues, both of whose countries call up players from them respective leagues?
    I would say so, yes. You only have to look at the performances of non-Old Firm Scottish sides in Europe over the last 5 years or so to see how poor the SPL has become. Even Rangers and Celtic have been very poor in Europe over the last couple of seasons (and the SPL is set to lose a Champions League place as a result). The Greek league would unquestionably be of a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

No Redzer7 in that squad no? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't want to start and argument but out of the 23 man squad 10 of these are non-Irish born; English 6, Scottish 2, Northern Irish 2. Granted the 2 lads from the North are eligible for Irish passports they are still non-Irish born. Just a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Don't want to start and argument but out of the 23 man squad 10 of these are non-Irish born; English 6, Scottish 2, Northern Irish 2. Granted the 2 lads from the North are eligible for Irish passports they are still non-Irish born. Just a point.

And all eligible to play for their country, why would an argument ensue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The 2 from the north are not non-Irish born are they.
    Although I think that's for a million other threads on boards. :p

And all eligible to play for their country, why would an argument ensue?

Just making a point of a squad nearly half made up of basically foriegn players. Was a piece supposely on TV3 after the Barca match tonight about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Just making a point of a squad nearly half made up of basically foriegn players. Was a piece supposely on TV3 after the Barca match tonight about this.

LOL "supposedly." If you'd actually watched you'd have seen that Tv showall concerned were in favour of exploiting the rules regarding player eligibility to the full and also seen Martin Keown speak very eloquently on the strong sense of Irishness that people of Irish descent who live in England continue to pass down from generation.

But don't let quoting a TV show you didn't even see get in the way of your tired and tedious argument.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Not Irish born, you have got to be kidding mate. Take that crap to AH tbqfh.

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL "supposedly." If you'd actually watched you'd have seen that Tv showall concerned were in favour of exploiting the rules regarding player eligibility to the full and also seen Martin Keown speak very eloquently on the strong sense of Irishness that people of Irish descent who live in England continue to pass down from generation.

But don't let quoting a TV show you didn't even see get in the way of your tired and tedious argument.;)

My bad so, only seen the presenter saying what was on after the break when was flicking through the channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd personally be very exited about O'Hara, he's a very talented player and would be one of our best players imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

While I agree he still has much to prove to remain at Man U, I think he certainly has to potential to remain the premiership. I still reckon he could get into the United team. How many times has it been said the Fletcher was championship standard, but now look at him-many people suggesting he was the missing piece for United in the Champions League Final last year.

As an Irish fan I was very encouraged to see the faith Ferguson has put in Gibson as many other Prem managers could have shipped him off during January.

With regards Fahey, I do agree that he should be rewarded for his form this season and certainly has played his part in getting Birmingham into the top half.

One player who I am surprised nobody has already pointed out is Shane Long. His place in the Reading XI isn't very secure and his goal tally is poor, 4 goals in 18 appearances in the Championship. Surely Stokes should get the nod there!

stokes is such a tricky one, he only seems to do in the spl, didnt hack it in the championship and was an almighty fail in the pl, think he should be given his chance though. I reckon stokes has more potential than long, he was 18, and scored 16 goals in 18 games for falkirk, even in the spl that is really good going, not many acheive that strike rate. 16 goals is only 8 or 9 less than shane long has managed in his whole career for reading so far! so when you put it that way . . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Jordonvito wrote: »
    stokes is such a tricky one, he only seems to do in the spl, didnt hack it in the championship and was an almighty fail in the pl, think he should be given his chance though. I reckon stokes has more potential than long, he was 18, and scored 16 goals in 18 games for falkirk, even in the spl that is really good going, not many acheive that strike rate. 16 goals is only 8 or 9 less than shane long has managed in his whole career for reading so far! so when you put it that way . . . . . .

What I'd say in Stokes's defence regarding his Premiership spell is that he never had a decent run in the side and was deployed quite often out wide. He rarely got a go at centre forward. However I do concede his general performances were poor but I think he deserves another shot at the Premiership. People forget that he's only 21 and many of todays premiership strikers didn't get going at that level until later on in their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

What I'd say in Stokes's defence regarding his Premiership spell is that he never had a decent run in the side and was deployed quite often out wide. He rarely got a go at centre forward. However I do concede his general performances were poor but I think he deserves another shot at the Premiership. People forget that he's only 21 and many of todays premiership strikers didn't get going at that level until later on in their careers.

I watched Stokes over the years and he is basically a lazy so and so. He doesn't work hard enough. Right he scores goals in a sub standard league, which is on a par with the cash-strapped LOI. He was advised to play in a wide position by Wenger but decided he knew better. He went to Sunderland as a Striker after a spell in the SPL and it was evident he was'nt capable of playing up front and was asked to play on the wing, which he did with a sulk. After a while he was shipped out again and has found back in the standard of football he is most comfortable at. Can't see him progressing beyond this level unless he has a major change in attitude.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0226/murphyb_republic.html
    Brian Murphy called up to Irish squad
    Friday, 26 February 2010 17:53

Watch live coverage of the Republic of Ireland v Brazil on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (Republic of Ireland only) from 7.30pm. Radio coverage on DAB, LW 252 and RTÉ.ie from 8.00pm.

Ipswich goalkeeper Brian Murphy has been called into the Republic of Ireland squad for next week's friendly with Brazil.

The 26-year-old has been drafted in by manager Giovanni Trapattoni following the withdrawal of Scunthorpe's Joe Murphy with a wrist injury.

He joins Manchester City's Shay Given and Keiren Westwood of Coventry in the squad for the game at the Emirates Stadium next Tuesday evening.

:)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Keane has pulled out with a knee injury and stokes has been drafted in to replace him

Advertisement