Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Twittering Device or whatever" Conor Lenihan

• 22-02-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-saturdayview.smil

Go to 11:25 and listen to Conor Lenihan our Minister for Technology refer to Dan O'Boyle's tweet. Christ, how do we gob****es allow people like him to hold such positions. While it might not be at the same level as the Kebab remark while minister for Integration it really displays, at least to me, just how Killinaskully our country is. The irony is that he correctly identified Dan's tweet as the turning point in the O'Dea Affair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I thought Lenihan was joking. I was amused when I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

listen to Conor Lenihan our Minister for Technology

Minister for whatever handy portfolio we can conjure up to look after him and keep his auntie quiet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What do you expect this is the twit who when the Minister of State for Overseas Development and Human Rights called Gama construction workers from Turkey "Kebabs".

He is proof that family dynasties and parish pump politics have to be purged for good from Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

He is Minister for Science, Innovation and Technology. That doesn't mean reading textbooks on biochemistry and the physics of advanced materials, nor does it mean being au fait with twitter or knowing what a facebook poke is.

For goodness' sake the role is about developing Ireland's technology sector and overseeing developments in scientific research industry. This is a strategic and planning role, not one that requires him to understand how twitter works. How is that even a real gripe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How is that even a real gripe?

I think if you can't be bothered to spend the 2 minutes it would take to find out and understand what Twitter is, how could I trust you on a more complex issue? Like developing Ireland's technology sector and overseeing developments in scientific research industry?

• Advertisement

He is Minister for Science, Innovation and Technology. That doesn't mean reading textbooks on biochemistry and the physics of advanced materials, nor does it mean being au fait with twitter or knowing what a facebook poke is.

For goodness' sake the role is about developing Ireland's technology sector and overseeing developments in scientific research industry. This is a strategic and planning role, not one that requires him to understand how twitter works. How is that even a real gripe?

Red Marauder I would expect the Minister for Technology to have an idea what the current trends are in technology today. Its not like Twitter is an obscure topic or technology; its all over the media be it papers, radio or television. Are we not paying tax money towards advisors for these people what are they doing. Should they not be briefing people like Conor Lenihan on what these technologies are about.

I don't expect our ministers to know about advanced theory or the exact details of physics, chemistry or biology but I do expect them to have a clue about major trends and influencers in the fields they are supposed to be leading us in. Again instead of leading our Government are stumbling around showing their ineptitude to the whole world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The files are IN the computer..??

zoolander_imac_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

deadtiger wrote: »
    Red Marauder I would expect the Minister for Technology to have an idea what the current trends are in technology today. Its not like Twitter is an obscure topic or technology; its all over the media be it papers, radio or television. Are we not paying tax money towards advisors for these people what are they doing. Should they not be briefing people like Conor Lenihan on what these technologies are about.

I don't expect our ministers to know about advanced theory or the exact details of physics, chemistry or biology but I do expect them to have a clue about major trends and influencers in the fields they are supposed to be leading us in. Again instead of leading our Government are stumbling around showing their ineptitude to the whole world.

I think the above sums it up well. Our country is run on nod and wink type politics, they (Government Ministers) are making the decisions that will shape the future of this country. In our current meltdown, to have a Minister for Technology who feels it appropriate to snigger at Dan O'Boyles tweet, which actually played a role in removing the lying justice minister, shows clearly the level of mismatch he has in his portfolio. The country is buggered, technology type industries will be a major factor if we are to get ourselves out of this situation, and the minister in charge of this discipline appears to laugh at one of the most significant information delivery methods devised in recent times.

It is beyond belief that anyone could have confidence in such a twat. Did he attend the web summit? Is he interacting with the many exciting IT companies that are evolving, despite ejits like him?

Amazing that we put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I applaud the Minister. I wish I knew less about all this social networking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't know what's worse, tweeting or Lenihan? This tweeting craze is for ****ing kids, it's so stupid...
    It has no place in a mature adult political world really. I can't take anyone serious when they use tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Irish politician not experienced in portfolio shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Slow news day on boards.ie/politics ? ?

Seriously bored with this nonsense . . is it really Conor Lenihan's job to know about twitter ? Really ?

Are you ready to dismiss all the good work he is doing in science and innovation in Ireland because he doesn't know what twitter is ?

Jebus wept !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sorry but theres nothing Technological about Twitter. Or Facebook or Myspace or Bebo. Its all a bunch of crap.

And correct me if Im wrong but his Full Title is the Minister of State for Science, Technology, and Natural Resources - Not The Minister of HDTV and Bebo Affairs. Perhaps we could do less nitpicking because the man couldn't give two flying sh!ts about that social perversion tool.

I really could care less if he couldn't code in C++ or build his own computer. I might be concerned if he didn't know what a Computer Mouse was or what makes a Car locomote, but thats not what we're talking about here. He's an Overseer. Not a Grunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Are you ready to dismiss all the good work he is doing in science and innovation in Ireland .....

Care to enlighten us as to what it might be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Slow news day on boards.ie/politics ? ?

Seriously bored with this nonsense . . is it really Conor Lenihan's job to know about twitter ? Really ?
    I was with you up to here....

Then you lost me:)
    Are you ready to dismiss all the good work he is doing in science and innovation in Ireland because he doesn't know what twitter is ?

Jebus wept !

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Care to enlighten us as to what it might be ?

I already pointed out the work and focus our government are putting on scientific research and development on a previous thread (in response to you if I am not mistaken) . . Go find it yourself . .

This debate / this thread is pathetic.

I already pointed out the work and focus our government are putting on scientific research and development on a previous thread (in response to you if I am not mistaken) . . Go find it yourself . .

If I remember correctly, you also proposed that we should ignore all their past performance in order to "move forward".

If I remember correctly, you also proposed that we should ignore all their past performance in order to "move forward".

We should, your point ?

You asked me to enlighten you so I referred you to where I had done so previously, you ignored it then too . . . !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I hardly see how it's all that big a deal. He said "twittering device" meaning that he knows what a twitter is. You can twitter from a PC, laptop, phone or one of various other handheld devices. He said subsequently that he did know what twitter was.

Expecting that our technology minister should, as a matter of any priority, become an expert in the area of twitter (or any other internet fad for that matter) is ludicrous. Twitter's link to "technology" is that it happens on a computer, nothing more. It is not likely to feature heavily in the development of government policy on science or technological advancement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think the above sums it up well. Our country is run on nod and wink type politics, they (Government Ministers) are making the decisions that will shape the future of this country. In our current meltdown, to have a Minister for Technology who feels it appropriate to snigger at Dan O'Boyles tweet, which actually played a role in removing the lying justice minister,

Dan Boyle.
    &
    Willie O'Dea was Minister for Defence.

</pedant>

• Advertisement

We should, your point ?

Well, apart from the obvious fact that I personally disagree with your opinion that "we should", it does beg the question as to why we should take anything that Lenihan has done to date into account.

I mean, if we're ignoring the past, then we're ignoring it.

Mind you, I can't help thinking that this "forget the track record and the past" wouldn't be your attitude if - as you claim - FG had done the same in power up to now, and - as you claim again - they had done the exact same.
    You asked me to enlighten you so I referred you to where I had done so previously, you ignored it then too . . . !

Given previous comments and off-topic nit-picking, I nearly ignored all of your posts. ;)

But let's start afresh; explain to me how we can simultaneously (a) forget the track record of FF and (b) take into account the track record of [ Conor Lenihan and ] FF.

What criteria do you propose that we use when deciding between approaches (a) and (b) ?

I think I know the answer, but humour me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

No but it does mean having some knowledge on popular trends and in general just having a bit of cop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭jmcc

Obviously the former minister for integration can't differentiate between a social media network and a mobile phone.

Regards...jmcc

Given previous comments and off-topic nit-picking, I nearly ignored all of your posts. ;)

But let's start afresh; explain to me how we can simultaneously (a) forget the track record of FF and (b) take into account the track record of [ Conor Lenihan and ] FF.

What criteria do you propose that we use when deciding between approaches (a) and (b) ?

I think I know the answer, but humour me.

You really like to threaten that 'ignore' button . . please don't, you will break my little Fianna Fail heart :)

I find it more than ironic that you criticise me for 'off-topic nit-picking' (unfounded by the way) . . but in the same post you try to drag me into a silly debate about whether or not we should forget the past . .

Any objective observer who has read my posts (I don't include you in this category) will recognise that I never said we should forget the past. What I have said, countless times is that it would be a mistake to choose a future government based solely on an analysis of the errors they have made in previous administration. . . It would be a mistake to exclude a party as a 'punishment' for the policies of their past. . . I think it makes far more sense to assess candidates for future government on their current policies and manifesto and on their future vision.

Now enough with the off-topic nit-picking

I find it more than ironic that you criticise me for 'off-topic nit-picking' (unfounded by the way)

Only because you claimed the above:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64567274&postcount=80

This debate / this thread is pathetic.

I agree especially the "I will make a statement but not bother to back it up" stance. Any chance of a link even to your wonderful endorsement of the sterling work being done by Conor please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam Byrne, hallelujajordan - pack it in, please. Honestly, sometimes I feel like a teacher.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

No but it does mean having some knowledge on popular trends
    This is like a group of anoraks getting upset because The Minister for Defence doesn't play World of Warcraft at his desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

This is like a group of anoraks getting upset because The Minister for Defense doesn't play World of Warcraft at his desk.

Maybe but that was not the intention of the thread. It was to highlight an attitude I perceived from Conor Lenihan which poured scorn on D Boyle's use of twitter. I think it is juvenile and typical of mismatched ministers to their portfolio.

Using your analogy it might be like getting upset because a minister for defense ignored a new weapons or training technology for soldiers.

I do not give a toss if the minister uses Twitter or not, but it is a powerful tool, used by millions of people and businesses and should not be scorned by a minister with responsibility for Science, Tech, Innovation and natural resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Redwolfe

I hardly see how it's all that big a deal. He said "twittering device" meaning that he knows what a twitter is. You can twitter from a PC, laptop, phone or one of various other handheld devices. He said subsequently that he did know what twitter was.

But one doesn't 'twitter', one 'tweets' using the twitter application. Even my grand aunt knows that, you'd have to be deaf dumb and blind not to have picked it up from the Sunday supplements by now. And while it's easy - and popular - to dismiss Twitter, it shows a lack of understanding of what the application is used for.

Redwolfe wrote: »
    But one doesn't 'twitter', one 'tweets' using the twitter application. Even my grand aunt knows that, you'd have to be deaf dumb and blind not to have picked it up from the Sunday supplements by now. And while it's easy - and popular - to dismiss Twitter, it shows a lack of understanding of what the application is used for.

One doesn't care what one does to the twittering device. Maybe, like me, he doesn't read Sunday supplements?

This isn't indicative of anything other than internet snobbery. I'm sure if I asked my mam what a 'tweet' was she'd think it was something from a Warner Brothers cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redwolfe

One doesn't care what one does to the twittering device. Maybe, like me, he doesn't read Sunday supplements?

This isn't indicative of anything other than internet snobbery. I'm sure if I asked my mam what a 'tweet' was she'd think it was something from a Warner Brothers cartoon.

Yeah, well I think it's stupid too. I don't know why one doesn't just 'twitter'. But if you think I'm bad, I saw a post somewhere which announced pompously:

"Twitter is a noun, not a verb."

It was a U.S. forum of course.

But stupid or not, 'tweet' is the correct term. I'm sure Conor knows that. And I don't see any problem with saying a message came from a 'twittering device'. It's accurate and shows a grasp of a central feature of twitter - that updates can be made from many different devices including by SMS from a mobile phone.

And yes I am an internet snob. Well spotted :)

This is like a group of anoraks getting upset because The Minister for Defence doesn't play World of Warcraft at his desk.

Perfect analogy. Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I was recently asked by a TD whom I had been emailing about an environmental matter, for my homeaddress, so he could post on a letter he had received from some local body. I had to explain to him that he should scan and email the letter to me ! I will not mention his/her name to save their blushes.
    I mean how idiotic do you have to be to want to post a letter rather than emailing it about an environmental matter ?
    The TD is in his thirties, so lack of familiarity with technology can hardly be an excuse.

anymore wrote: »
    I was recently asked by a TD whom I had been emailing about an environmental matter, for my homeaddress, so he could post on a letter he had received from some local body. I had to explain to him that he should scan and email the letter to me ! I will not mention his/her name to save their blushes.
    I mean how idiotic do you have to be to want to post a letter rather than emailing it about an environmental matter ?
    The TD is in his thirties, so lack of familiarity with technology can hardly be an excuse.

Now you are being ridiculous. Are you some kind of ANORAK?!!!

• Advertisement

Now you are being ridiculous. Are you some kind of ANORAK?!!!
    On the contrary, I am a middle aged person who has never used Facebook, Twitter or any other of these mediums. My limit is email and generally using the Internet. I rarely even use the text facility on my mobile. The point I am making is that it is utterly hypocritical of politicians to be talking about ireland as a leading player in technology when some of these idiots wont even use basic facilities such as scan and email.
    And for heavens sake why are politicians communicating by letter with local authorities when they can far more efficiently do so using email ?
    Is stupidity a mandatory requirement for election to the dail or do your chances of climbing the career ladder increase the more stupid you are ?

He was only looking to forward you a letter. Some serious amount of getting over ourselves needs to be done.

Perfect analogy. Superb.

Had the previous incumbent confined himself to playing games like the one you mentioned, last week would have been a less traumatic week for this country !
    Speaking of anoraks, Sam Smyth tried to generate sympathy for O Dea by saying how politics was his whole life, no hobbies or passtimes. How pathetic !

He was only looking to forward you a letter. Some serious amount of getting over ourselves needs to be done.
    Well if I really want ot be cycnical about it, I would say he/she simply wanted to be able to say " I sent the constituent a letter , so that proves I am doing my job and the constituent will be impressed ".
    Well when I eventually did get the communication, the contents mainly consisted of official ' pass the buck' which actulaly managed to ignore the pertinent point of the matter under discussion. The TD knew that and the Council official knew it yet both of these clowns ( being intemprate seems to be justified in this case) engaged in this charade which really only served to further lower the image of politicians and the public service.

The main point however is this is 2010, if politicans wont use modern communication mediums, they should go back to whatever inbred hillbilly corner they emerged from.

Its only a letter. Build a bridge...

• Advertisement

Its only a letter. Build a bridge...

I would have thought a 3rd level student would have been more eager to encourage polticians to use modern technology :confused:
    What are you studying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can we keep things polite, please!

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

He may not play World of Warcrap - but at least he's packing a piece!
    bigwill_160602t.jpg

As for the twitter cack, im a software developer and i dont facecrap, twit tweet or whatever nor do i be-bore...

its my own opinion that these pieces of muck sites are turning people into social pariahs and perverted voyeurs, who cares how much you vomited last night, nor where you went or what color your pee is this morning.

Thats just my own opinion, im a private person therefore i dont use them, i dont like them, and I am definitely not interested in telling the world that im currently making a cup of tea (2 sugars) to drink with two digestive biscuits sandwiched together with flora margerine.

Having not even a passing interest, I choose not to read articles about them, therefore it is safe to say that I am not au fait with the vocabulary of technical terms associated with them, this wont change unless someday i work for one of the aforementioned companies, this is not a failure of my personality it is simply a choice that some people take, yet through all of this i am totally immersed 80% of my waking life, in the world of technology... sadly (as some of you twits may think) boards is about as socially interactive I get.

Im sure that someone somewhere has set up and anti facebook facebook page?

On the contrary, I am a middle aged person who has never used Facebook, Twitter or any other of these mediums. My limit is email and generally using the Internet. I rarely even use the text facility on my mobile. The point I am making is that it is utterly hypocritical of politicians to be talking about ireland as a leading player in technology when some of these idiots wont even use basic facilities such as scan and email.
    And for heavens sake why are politicians communicating by letter with local authorities when they can far more efficiently do so using email ?
    Is stupidity a mandatory requirement for election to the dail or do your chances of climbing the career ladder increase the more stupid you are ?

Sorry, I think you took me up the wrong way. It was a rhetorical question. I was joking. In reference to a previous post. Completely understood your original post!

Morphéus wrote: »
    He may not play World of Warcrap - but at least he's packing a piece!
    bigwill_160602t.jpg

As for the twitter cack, im a software developer and i dont facecrap, twit tweet or whatever nor do i be-bore...

its my own opinion that these pieces of muck sites are turning people into social pariahs and perverted voyeurs, who cares how much you vomited last night, nor where you went or what color your pee is this morning.

Thats just my own opinion, im a private person therefore i dont use them, i dont like them, and I am definitely not interested in telling the world that im currently making a cup of tea (2 sugars) to drink with two digestive biscuits sandwiched together with flora margerine.

Having not even a passing interest, I choose not to read articles about them, therefore it is safe to say that I am not au fait with the vocabulary of technical terms associated with them, this wont change unless someday i work for one of the aforementioned companies, this is not a failure of my personality it is simply a choice that some people take, yet through all of this i am totally immersed 80% of my waking life, in the world of technology... sadly (as some of you twits may think) boards is about as socially interactive I get.

Im sure that someone somewhere has set up and anti facebook facebook page?

It strikes me that you have made a choice not to use them. But you are completely aware of them. I'm the same as yourself in a way. Worked in IT for 10+ years and I hate things like Facebook, Bebo and Twitter, but I am not stupid or ignorant enough to ignore them.

I would have thought a 3rd level student would have been more eager to encourage polticians to use modern technology :confused:
    What are you studying ?
    I'm not third level student. And encouraging the use of modern technology is not the same as getting all hot and bothered because someone wanted to send you a letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Redwolfe wrote: »
    Ah come on, that's pure pedantry. The distinction between "twitter" and "tweet" is not substantial and means very little in reality. Does he know what twitter is? In all likelihood, yes he has a general understanding of it. He knew that Boyle had used it to disseminate information on a political issue, therefore he knew what it essentially is and he understands what it is used for. I really don't see how any more detailed a knowledge is necessary.

Advertisement