Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like a Sub forum for the Superthreads..?

• 22-02-2010 12:48pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been suggested that in order to free up the main Soccer forum we could have a Sub forum for the Super threads.This proposed forum would only be for the superthreads and you would not be able to start a new thread.

I will add a poll.

Would you like a Sub forum for the Superthreads..? 102 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Atomic Pineapplethe_sycoSeanehcournioniPaulwBottle_of_SmokepickarooneyHelixparasiteT-b0n3matrimPonsterSoldieThe ReclinerDub13keano_afcUnearthlyHeadshotmayordenisHolsten 102 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dub13 wrote: »
    It has been suggested that in order to free up the main Soccer forum we could have a Sub forum for the Super threads.This proposed forum would only be for the superthreads and you would not be able to start a new thread.

I will add a poll.
    I think you'd end up with the super threads getting way way off topic because no one would move from the super thread to whatever the otherthread is

I think anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Too much stuff will be moved to them, lead to more sub forums, blah blah something else. No.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

No. Pointless - instead of clicking into one forum to view the United thread and any new soccer ones made I'll be clicking into two. For no apparent benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No, it's not like they take up a huge amount of room on the forum so what's the difference in clicking page 2 instead of clicking into a sub-forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wrong question for me, more general club sub fora is what would work best. Re-shuffling the existing deck will be of no real value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

No
    Start them all again from scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote: »
    Wrong question for me, more general club sub fora is what would work best. Re-shuffling the existing deck will be of no real value.

How many more times are you going to bang that drum?

The Users have said no, the mods have said no, and the Admins have said no.

Let it go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No

There is a thread going on that already.This is about the superthreads people give out about them this is a suggestion to maybe deal with that.

No
    I personally think yes this is a win win situation,if you don't like the super threads they are gone out of sight leaving the forum more room.And yes they can take up a lot of room on the main page.

I follow my threads via the User CP so I will be brought to the super threads I post in automatically,so it does not matter what forum they are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I voted No, i don't see the point really,

Just more navigation trouble than there is at the moment, there is no problem with where they are at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry I wasn't intending to proselytize. I just don't see the point of a Superthread sub-forurm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No
    The first page is always littered with these and it means that a thread can very quickly be pushed to the second (dead) page. Having a sub fora for them would free up the first page for soccer threads, not just club specific threads.

I just want to voice my opinion that I am also in agreement with Mike65 about club specific forums but I accept that we might be in the minority on that one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No
    Yes. They're of no interest to me and clutter up the main forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

no, going down a road that divides the forum is not for me!

could lead to more sub forums in the future and would lead to the eventual death of the soccer forum in my end of the world outlook

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    no, going down a road that divides the forum is not for me!

could lead to more sub forums in the future and would lead to the eventual death of the soccer forum in my end of the world outlook

I don't agree,I am dead against splitting the forum but support this idea.The super threads are knocking other threads off the main page,this proposal will give us more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

No
    The Topic changes every couple of hours in some forums and becomes so hard to read. So a definite yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

no, dont see the point of it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No
    I don't agree,I am dead against splitting the forum but support this idea.The super threads are knocking other threads off the main page,this proposal will give us more room.

Yeah, there's 7 on the front page now. They really don't need to be there, I have links to them all in the User CP and would prefer to see more "regular"/new threads there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No, I manage to 95% of the time avoid them whilst as is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

No
    I think it would be a good idea, it might encourage people to join in more general discussions if they aren't being swamped and pushed off the main page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nope, no need for it. Just ban any trolling idiots promptly and the forum will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bad idea IMO. The superthreads bring people in and leads to more traffic for the soccer forum. Then if a thread catches someone's eye they can post in it.
    With this proposed idea the soccer forum would be bypassed by many and I think it could become a very quiet place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I think there's already enough sub forums on boards. So I agree with those who think it's a bad idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Most tightly contested poll in ages. Exciting stuff.

No
    CHD wrote: »
    Most tightly contested poll in ages. Exciting stuff.

Sure is,and just like Lisbon we are going again if we get the wrong answer.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The usual no from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It would ruin this forum. There are a lot of fans of the big teams who really don't give two sh1ts about football in general, just that certain club. You see how the place goes dead on weekends United and Liverpool aren't playing. Less people who enter this forum. Guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    No

+1

I think thats what you type when you agree and want to second something

If its not clear, I vote no also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

No
    Great idea. Superthreads and match threads take up the majority of the front page.

I would even like a sub-forum for Match threads, but one step at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bw wrote: »
    Great idea. Superthreads and match threads take up the majority of the front page.

I would even like a sub-forum for Match threads, but one step at a time!

personally I think that would be a better idea than moving the superthreads. Move match discussion to one forum and leave one for general discussion imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No
    I voted yes, just for the fact that they clog up the page on me but I do agree with people who say they bring a lot of traffic to the forum.

I personally would like a hide thread option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

SantryRed wrote: »
    It would ruin this forum. There are a lot of fans of the big teams who really don't give two sh1ts about football in general, just that certain club. You see how the place goes dead on weekends United and Liverpool aren't playing. Less people who enter this forum. Guarantee it.

Don't confuse Quantity with Quality ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No
    Sure is,and just like Lisbon we are going again if we get the wrong answer.....:)

Except reword the proposal so that we rename the current soccer forum to 'soccer superthreads' and create a new soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The decision shouldn't be made / not made on the basis of a simple majority vote in a thread poll for many obvious reasons. And that goes for any discussion in relation to forum policy change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I agree. There is no value in a sub-forum to contain threads already existing. All that does is cost another click.

I know some of the heads don't like the idea but mike65 is and has been right: Club specific fora is the way to go, and, in my opinion, the way it will ultimately go - like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

SantryRed wrote: »

Agreed, and they should be given their own enclosure - leave soccer for football fans - let the banneristas go. Fewer people in the forum should not be a problem if there is quality rather than quantity.

No
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The decision shouldn't be made / not made on the basis of a simple majority vote in a thread poll for many obvious reasons. And that goes for any discussion in relation to forum policy change.

I would agree once the vote is close we would have nothing to lose if we trialled this new sub forum ontill the end of the season,sure there is only 2 and a half months left in the club season.If it does not work we can easily go back to the current system.

I would agree once the vote is close we would have nothing to lose if we trialled this new sub forum ontill the end of the season,sure there is only 2 and a half months left in the club season.If it does not work we can easily go back to the current system.

Or, you could look at the significant groundswell of users who are firmly against the idea; consider the (significant) potential negatives of any splintering of the forum; and consequent reduction of first time traffic / cross team discussion - and drop the idea. Even if you win the poll by a vote.

No
    Or, you could look at the significant groundswell of users who are firmly against the idea; consider the (significant) potential negatives of any splintering of the forum; and consequent reduction of first time traffic / cross team discussion - and drop the idea. Even if you win the poll by a vote.

Yes but I must add its not our job to decide,this will be a Admin call thats why they are on the top $.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Isn't one of the arguments against club-specific sub forums is that users would stop posting on the main soccer forum? I don't see how this would be much different.

Anyway, superthreads already make discussion hopelessly hard to follow and contribute to, so why not make them a sub-forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The decision shouldn't be made / not made on the basis of a simple majority vote in a thread poll

I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to sort of act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

But by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major...

Yes but I must add its not our job to decide,this will be a Admin call thats why they are on the top $.

The Admin team are involved in deciding whether we have subforums now? As far as I was aware the mod team had to request extra subforums. They were rarely, if ever, told a forum was getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

No
    Iago wrote: »
    I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to sort of act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

But by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major...

Be quiet, I ORDER you to be quiet!

Just a question - is this poll just to get an advanced feeling of something that is going to happen anyway? I am for it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

No
    I think its a good idea.
    More room for general discussions on footballing matters. Less likely that a thread will get moved off the front page as quickly allowing it more time to develope.

No
    Isn't one of the arguments against club-specific sub forums is that users would stop posting on the main soccer forum? I don't see how this would be much different.

Users who currently post in the super threads will continue to post in them,regardless of were they are.One of the safe guards against this new sub forum taken away from the main soccer forum is that you will not be able to start a new thread in the forum.
    Anyway, superthreads already make discussion hopelessly hard to follow and contribute to, so why not make them a sub-forum?

I agree they are had to follow but they do serve a purpose,some people love them some hate them I think this proposal is a happy compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The soccer forums biggest mistake was allowing "superthreads" in the first place. I'd still be of the opinion to not allow club forums, but instead subdivide by league. Should give the likes of the SPL and irish league room to breathe.

No
    The Admin team are involved in deciding whether we have subforums now? As far as I was aware the mod team had to request extra subforums. They were rarely, if ever, told a forum was getting them.

I should have said it will be done in consultation with the Admins as it would be a major change in the forum they will need to be brought into the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

No
    Users who currently post in the super threads will continue to post in them,regardless of were they are.One of the safe guards against this new sub forum taken away from the main soccer forum is that you will not be able to start a new thread in the forum.

I agree they are had to follow but they do serve a purpose,some people love them some hate them I think this proposal is a happy compromise.

Totally agree. This way those who dont like them dont have to suffer them clogging up the soccer forum and those that do like them, well it makes no difference to the them as the superthread will remain the same just an extra click away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Des wrote: »
    No

what he said tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement