Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like a Sub forum for the Superthreads..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No
    It strikes me as a somewhat pointless change to just move them into a sub-forum.

Thinking about it again, it's hardly a deal breaker, either way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

No
    I think all of the individual club threads should be moved to there own subforum, it will free up some space on the main forum page. There the only threads which should be moved IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

No
    flahavaj wrote: »
    No they won't. In 6 months time a Liverpool sub-forum will have pages of threads built up. It will still be necessary to use the search function if for some bizarre reason you want to find a zombie Rafa thread.

May I suggest you try and master the search function, as either way you're going to need it. You could use the time you're currently spendng flogging this particular dead horse across two separate fora to become quick nifty at it I'd imagine.
    If it was a dead horse Flah it wouldnt be discussed. Okay Zaph to discuss the issue at hand. Yeah a sub forum for Super threads wouldn't be a bad idea. I dont think that there are really that many of them tbh but it it frees up a bit of space im all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

tbhf.png

Not that hard tbh. Same amount of "effort" as clicking into a Sub-Forum. There's far greater things on this forum that need fixing other than superthreads.

No
    Archimedez wrote: »
    tbhf.png

Not that hard tbh. Same amount of "effort" as clicking into a Sub-Forum. There's far greater things on this forum that need fixing other than superthreads.
    Dont often agree with Archi but he is spot on here.

In another life, we could have been friends.... ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No
    tbhf.png

Not necessarily lads,the way I see it is most people will enter the threads via there subscribed threads.So they will enter the thread the same way and many will maybe not even be aware they are in a sub forum.

They way I see it most people will not even notice the change yet it will free up the forum massively.

How many people use the subscribed thread method of viewing it though? Could go some way to deciding this if we found out. I dont use it, I just go to the soccer forum and browse from there, maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    I have it subbed, but I'd add the superthread forum to my subs too. Wouldn't be any hassle...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

How many people use the subscribed thread method of viewing it though? Could go some way to deciding this if we found out. I dont use it, I just go to the soccer forum and browse from there, maybe thats just me.

im the same

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No
    I hate the stupid super threads, to get to any actual football banter and not the usual club specific circle jerking you have to trawll through man u, city, pool, arsenal, bohs, newcastle, serie a, barca, real, leeds, vila, westham, portsmouth and a few more i can't remember, they usually take up the bulk of the first 2-3 pages and by the time I get through them I've lost interest.

there are also too many stickies on this fu*king board, make one stick and then link to the stickied threads in that or is that jump of logic too obvious for boards?

No
    mars bar wrote: »
    I have it subbed, but I'd add the superthread forum to my subs too. Wouldn't be any hassle...
    who needs to sub the suberthread. Does it change that much from day to day in terms o content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No

User CP all the way for me! When I'm finished reading those, I have a look in whatever fora I find interesting.

No
    jasonorr wrote: »
    User CP all the way for me! When I'm finished reading those, I have a look in whatever fora I find interesting.

That is the way IMO the majority of boards users would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dub13 wrote: »
    That is the way IMO the majority of boards users would do it.

I seriously doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No
    Yes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

No
    I brought this up along time ago, one day I counted I think 19 superthreads on the front page of teh soccer forum, it was kinda stupid.

My vote is yes.

No
    JPA wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

On a site wide bases it would be interesting to find out.

No
    mayordenis wrote: »
    I brought this up along time ago, one day I counted I think 19 superthreads on the front page of teh soccer forum, it was kinda stupid.

My vote is yes.
    Superthreads or superthreads and match threads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dub13 wrote: »
    We will have to agree to disagree then.

On a site wide bases it would be interesting to find out.

We could have a poll. I just have the forum bookmarked, no thread subscribed or anything, perhaps I'm in the minority.

No
    JPA wrote: »
    We could have a poll. I just have the forum bookmarked, no thread subscribed or anything, perhaps I'm in the minority.
    Xavi says no more polls until the end of the season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No
    What is the problem with having a subforum for the Superthreads that is locked to creating new threads. All it does is archive the threads bascially and keeps them in one place away from the rest of the forum. This in fact means that the main forum is clearer, more open to new topics, and more topics will be displayed on the front page. All the Superthreads still remain, but just in a subforum where they can be easily reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Quazzie wrote: »
    What is the problem with having a subforum for the Superthreads that is locked to creating new threads. All it does is archive the threads bascially and keeps them in one place away from the rest of the forum. This in fact means that the main forum is clearer, more open to new topics, and more topics will be displayed on the front page. All the Superthreads still remain, but just in a subforum where they can be easily reached.

i think if you remove the superthreads to a subforum, you would get a lot more threads created in the main forum that would be suitable for discussion in the superthreads. I think it would change the mentality of usage and make the superthreads more isolated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Quazzie wrote: »

imo

1) The fact that more users have voted no than yes
    2) I think moving the superthreads to a sub-forum on their own without allowing other threads doesn't really do anything to change the perceived issue
    3) I think we'll see an increase in threads in the main forum on subjects that should be contained in the superthreads which will lead to posters reporting posts and asking them to be merged etc.

As I said on the feedback thread, the superthreads aren't stickies and therefore if users are posting in other threads they will remain on the front page. There are 9 superthreads out of 25 threads on the front page, I don't think that's hugely significant.

• Advertisement

No
    Main page is okay now. But whats to stop someone setting up a Bohs thread, A shels thread, A Pats thread when season starts to get really busy. Thats when it will get messy. League of Ireland and Premiership threads are not related. So im suggesting setting up a sub forum for League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No
    i think if you remove the superthreads to a subforum, you would get a lot more threads created in the main forum that would be suitable for discussion in the superthreads. I think it would change the mentality of usage and make the superthreads more isolated.
    I see where you are coming from but I tend to disagree. If you look at the Superthreads it is the same set of fans that have made it their home. The Arsenal one which I myself view regularly is mainly dominated by a base of 10 posters with others checking in now and again. I don't think any of the 10 posters, or the infrequent posters would be any less likely to post in a new location than in its current one.

Your point about new threads that would be more suited to the Superthreads, is easily solved by merging with the Superthreads. The mods will decide what is Superthread material,a s they already do. It might be a bit more work for the mods at the start, but eventually people will see the line again, and hopefully stop crossing it. Plus with the Superthreads off the front page a few new threads will be needed.

No
    That makes a lot of sense that. Do you have a stat on how many new threads are being generated each day. Is it manageable at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Main page is okay now. But whats to stop someone setting up a Bohs thread, A shels thread, A Pats thread when season starts to get really busy. Thats when it will get messy.

There are already such threads in existence.
    League of Ireland and Premiership threads are not related. So im suggesting setting up a sub forum for League of Ireland.

If anything is being moved it should be the EPL threads. LOI threads shouldn't be shunted anywhere to make space for threads English, Spanish, Italian etc football. It is boards.ie afterall.

No
    I know that. Which is why im suggesting we give them their very own subnforum. Its a good thing not a bad thing.
    I agree with a poll and all but when you get down to crunching the numbers pool and United threads get the most visits. And no-one including myself seems to have a problem in moving it to a seperate forum.

• Advertisement

I know that. Which is why im suggesting we give them their very own subnforum. Its a good thing not a bad thing.
    I agree with a poll and all but when you get down to crunching the numbers pool and United threads get the most visits. And no-one including myself seems to have a problem to moving it to a seperate forum.

Please tell me there's a typo in there somewhere

No
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Please tell me there's a typo in there somewhere
    End of the xavi front page looks messy. Which is why Dub13 suggested moving superthreads to a sub forum. But at the moment its looks as if that will go down by a few votes.

End of the xavi front page looks messy. Which is why Dub13 suggested moving superthreads to a sub forum. But at the moment its looks as if that will go down by a few votes.

So what did you mean by this -
    And no-one including myself seems to have a problem in moving it to a seperate forum.

Clearly people do have a problem, otherwise the vote wouldn't be the way it is.

No
    So what did you mean by this -

Clearly people do have a problem, otherwise the vote wouldn't be the way it is.
    Ten votes is very close Xavi. So boards is split fifty fifty on it at this stage.

Ten votes is very close Xavi. So boards is split fifty fifty on it at this stage.

No it's not split 50/50. It's pretty much 55/45 against your proposal. Stop being disingenuous with the results to try sway them towards your argument.

And you didn't answer my question.

What did you mean by this -
    And no-one including myself seems to have a problem in moving it to a seperate forum.

There are over a hundred people with a problem.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Feck that, I don't want it and I doubt I'm alone in the LOI fans in that regard

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

No
    No it's not split 50/50. It's pretty much 55/45 against your proposal. Stop being disingenuous with the results to try sway them towards your argument.

Sorry Xavi this is Dub13s proposal. Stop misrepresenting me. Check the name on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Feck that, I don't want it and I doubt I'm alone in the LOI fans in the regard

We have a dedicated LoI forum over on foot.ie if we wanted one, which if we wanted to use a LoI specific forum, where people talk of barstoolers and Real Fans ™ then we could join them over there.

Sorry Xavi this is Dub13s proposal. Stop misrepresenting me. Check the name on the thread.

Answer his question, instead of pointing out stupid mistakes.

You are like a cornered rat now mate.

Just answer his question.

Meh, it's the drum you've been banging.

So for a third time I'll ask you for an answer -

• Advertisement

No

Think you are misreading that. 91 have a problem with the current status quo. 101 are happy to keep things as they are.

Think you are misreading that. 91 have a problem with the current status quo. 101 are happy to keep things as they are.

101 people have a problem with a subforum for superthreads.

Also, you thanked my post about foot.ie

What do you think about the following

We have a dedicated Liverpool forum over on RAWK if we wanted one, which if we wanted to use a Liverpool specific forum, where people talk of Rafa's Beard and Steven Gerrard then we could join them over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Main page is okay now. But whats to stop someone setting up a Bohs thread, A shels thread, A Pats thread when season starts to get really busy. Thats when it will get messy. League of Ireland and Premiership threads are not related. So im suggesting setting up a sub forum for League of Ireland.

:pac:

Why shouldn't it be a Premiership sub-forum because we're form Ireland?

Just had to point that out! I'm completely against the idea of a sub forum. What I do believe should be invented is a way to hide threads, therefore people won't see the superthreads if they don't want to.

I'm not misreading anything.

You said that no one including yourself disagreed with moving the big threads.

101 votes say different.

No
    I'm not misreading anything.

You said that no one including yourself disagreed with moving the big threads.

101 votes say different.
    This vote will get carried but the closeness of it means you will probably have to revisit again. And what Santry red is a very good idea. On IMDB you can actually delete a thread by actually deleting the thread author.

This vote will get carried but the closeness of it means you will probably have to revisit again.

Of course we will because, just like Lisbon, people like yourself will keep moaning until they get what they want.

No doesn't mean no anymore.

Of course we will because, just like Lisbon, people like yourself will keep moaning until they get what they want.

No doesn't mean no anymore.

How many times has it been discussed now?

Leave it as it is, the vast, vast, vast majority of people don't want it changed.

Even when nothing changed, the vast majority of the people who lobbied for change stuck around anyway.

Feck the rest of them. If they want to have a monthly whinge, let them, don't even engage them in Feedback.

"you can't please all of the people all of the time"

So fúck the ones who are unhappy. the people who are happy are using this forum, and it's the second busiest on Boards.

As far as I can see, apart from a few naysayers every once in a while, 99% of the people are quite happy to continue posting in the forum as it is.

No
    Its called democracy xavi. If government wins a motion of no confidence by a vote you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a vote again. Nothing wrong with a bit of fine tuning. whats good for us is good for you.

Its called democracy xavi.

Where did you get the idea that Boards.ie is a democracy?

Where?

I'd love to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I voted no

but maybe just leave it up to the votes and quit the arguing and niggling?

Leave the voting open for lets say a week or a fortnight and see what happens. What else can be done?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement