Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor Calibration - When are you satisfied?

• 22-02-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

This is something that's been irking me the last while. I have 2 computers, a new iMac and a Dell laptop. I've always used PS CS3 on the Dell and usually happy with the results. The display on the Mac is darker and when a photo looks good it loses some of it's edge when viewed on other PCs - the laptop, work or parents PC.
    I've calibrated the Mac monitor and it's as it should be according to it's process but the issue is still the same.
    No one wants to work on a photo, get to a point where you're happy and then feel it isn't working when looking at online or on another computer.

Does anyone else have problems like this and what makes for good monitor calibration in your eyes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I try not to think about this too much. You can only control how your workstations look. All bets are off for everyone else's. In an effort to gauge how many other monitors out there were being calibrated, I created this poll thread "Is your Monitor Calibrated?". Turns out it's a little more than 50/50. I thought there would be more calibrated monitors among the photographer community. I'd say it is far less for the general public at large. So in effect, monitor calibration is not meant for viewing pictures on the internet. There are so many different monitor types out there at the moment, you'd never be able to produce an image that looks good an all of them. With that in mind, I try and stick to a middle ground for internet pics. IE, not too bright or dark, saturated or dull, contrasty or soft.

To sum up. :) If you were doing a lot of printing then i'd say calibrate, otherwise, why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Hye homerun_homer,

Few questions,
    When you say "I've calibrated the Mac monitor and it's as it should be according to it's process but the issue is still the same." what did you do to calibrate your monitor?
    What calibration tool do you have?
    Are you printing these prints or simply looking at them on screen?
    If they are for print, will you be printing your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the other thing to be aware of on the mac, is there is a little tick box saying automatically adjust the brightness. make sure this is TURNED OFF

the other thing when looking using a browser make sure your either using srgb images or that the browser is profile aware, and that the site your using doesnt strip the profile from the image, some do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

stcstc wrote: »
    the other thing to be aware of on the mac, is there is a little tick box saying automatically adjust the brightness. make sure this is TURNED OFF

the other thing when looking using a browser make sure your either using srgb images or that the browser is profile aware, and that the site your using doesnt strip the profile from the image, some do

I'm about to purchase Spyder Express 3 to calibrate the monitor. Anyone any opinions on this?

if you can afford, but the middle one, i think its called the spyer pro, i have the elite an its fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

The display on the Mac is darker

may be because if the gamma setting in your calibration ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I'm about to purchase Spyder Express 3 to calibrate the monitor. Anyone any opinions on this?
    http://spyder.datacolor.com/pdfs/CI-303%20Calibrating-S.pdf
    This review should help as the ColorMunki is the main rival there. If you are printing your photos calibration is always required for consistent and true results, regardless if you are printing at home or in a print shop.

Hope the review helps

sounds like hugh is onto something

the whole worl bsically uses 2.2 gamma, but the mac defaults to 1.8. but you can change it,

Advertisement