Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words filtered from forum search

Options
  • 22-02-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What criteria is used to determine what words get removed from the search function? I have found some odd results when doing a search recently. Last week I was searching in the Apple Media Devices forum for the term "APN" and it couldn't find it. Fair enough, I realise it's a short word (well, not a word but you know what I mean...) but it would have been handy at the time to be able to search for it.
    Today I wanted to see if there are any mentions of electrical courses on the site so I did a search for "electrical course" and I got back a message saying "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: course", so all it did was search for the word "electrical", which obviously fundamentally changed the results I got. The word "course" is hardly too long, short or very common, I would have thought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hiya, our search is still limited functionality due to the size of the site, therefore we have to limit popular search terms. For this kind of search, have you tried the google search box on the front page? Go to boards.ie homepage and on the right hand side you will see a search box with 'powered by google' in the box. Try that search box and see if you get better results maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Just tried that now and it worked a treat. I hardly ever take any notice of the homepage so I didn't realise that was there. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement