Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathmines to Ballsbridge

• 22-02-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

after receiving some great advice here the last time i asked a question in this section, i could really do with some help again with the best way to travel daily from rathmines to ballsbridge and backl again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as im not familar at all with south dublin and dont have a clue how to get from rathmines to ballsbridge on a daily basis??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

Your best bet is probably just to walk - they're not very far apart. Here's what Google maps suggests. It's an 7 minute walk apparently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You would walk it in now time at all.

Heres another link to find walking or cycle routes etc

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/travelinfo.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

thanks mark for the quick reply. Ya walking is no problem, though id be surprised if it was only 7mins... i would have thought almost 30mins or am i completely wrong.

can any1 confirm the distance walking or even a bus that might go between the 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Dublin Bus route 18 does that journey for you. It stops opposite Rathmines Garda Station.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/18/

Allow about (and I am being very approximate here) 45/50 minutes in peak and 35/40 minutes off-peak for the bus to get from Old Lucan Road.

It can get stuck in heavy traffic en route from Rathmines to Ballsbridge.

viper006 wrote: »
    thanks mark for the quick reply. Ya walking is no problem, though id be surprised if it was only 7mins... i would have thought almost 30mins or am i completely wrong.

can any1 confirm the distance walking or even a bus that might go between the 2?

I used to do that very walk some years ago.

It certainly was not 7 minutes - more like 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

Oops, yes :D GM says it's a 7 minute drive (I was wondering why it was so optimistic). It's a 30 minute walk.

Personally, I'd cycle that distance. It's short enough to be comfortable and it's not very hilly. You'd do it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

No way is it 7 mins. First you have to walk to Ranelagh 10 mins at least. And from you walk to Donnybrook, another 10 mins, and from Donnybrook you walk to the next village which is Ballsbridge. Id say you are talkin more like 3o mins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Clicking on the link in the previous post says 7 mins "by car". Click on the link for walking and it changes to 32 mins (and varies the route a little), which sounds about right.

I used to live in Ranelagh, and think I caught the 18 bus to Sandymount a handful of times over about 4 years. Absolute disaster of a service.

If you have somewhere to lock a bike at either end, I'd say cycling would be your best bet.

Thanks KC61. Ya that’s wat I expected walkwise alright..thanks for the heads up about the number 18.im clueless about the southside

Il be working in ballsbridge and need to be close to rathmines as well so not sure if its even the best call to rent a place in rathmines as might be too far out. From your own experience going between the 2 is rathmines to ballsbridge and back again more than doable on a daily basis or could you suggest a location to live between the 2 that might be better serviced by the luas, train or bus or is the 18 reliable enough to go on peak times?

Thanks KC61. Ya that’s wat I expected walkwise alright..thanks for the heads up about the number 18.im clueless about the southside

Il be working in ballsbridge and need to be close to rathmines as well so not sure if its even the best call to rent a place in rathmines as might be too far out. From your own experience going between the 2 is rathmines to ballsbridge and back again more than doable on a daily basis or could you suggest a location to live between the 2 that might be better serviced by the luas, train or bus or is the 18 reliable enough to go on peak times?

It's perfectly possible to do it walking - but the 18 can get badly hit by congestion all along the route so it can be very difficult to predict - especially in bad weather.

Have a look maybe at Ranelagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Jackob wrote: »
    No way is it 7 mins. First you have to walk to Ranelagh 10 mins at least. And from you walk to Donnybrook, another 10 mins, and from Donnybrook you walk to the next village which is Ballsbridge. Id say you are talkin more like 3o mins!!

If you started at Belgrave Square and went as far as Appien Way and stretched the parish boundaries and were walking quick you'd still struggle to do it in 7:D I'd hate to walk from the top of Leinster Road or Kenilworth Square to, say, the RDS or Bewleys unless you had 30-40 minutes to play with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Would you think about cycling it?

It's around 3km give or take -- a short distance to cycle. You could do it in what you normally wear.

With traffic and traffic lights etc, cycling is the quickest way to do this most of the time, of not nearly all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I do a similar trip occasionally. In the morning peak, heading to Ballsbridge is utterly appalling trying to get through Rathmines especially, but also Ranelagh. Coming back isn't so bad and off peak its OK, except for frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I thought I'd be really smart by coming on here and suggesting that the OP walk it ...I see several others have beaten me to the punch but as a serious suggestion :rolleyes:

thanks guys for the replies.. im tinking ranelagh might be a good place to base myself so given buses,trains arent an option from rathnmines.

So am i right in tinkiing it but 20mins walk from ranelagh to RDS area of ballsbridge??

thanks guys for the replies.. im tinking ranelagh might be a good place to base myself so given buses,trains arent an option from rathnmines.

So am i right in tinkiing it but 20mins walk from ranelagh to RDS area of ballsbridge??

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

I work in Ballsbridge, but only have to go into work a couple of times a month. I used to live in Ranelagh (20-25 min walk) but now live well up Leinster Road (40 min walk) in Rathmines. I'd recommend cycling or just walking. Its your most realistic option tbh

thanks NOR for the reply. I have no problem walking or cycling but the good old irish weather could see me soaked many day headin in to work.

could any1 tell me wat the nearest luas stop would be to a dart station that would take me to the sandymount area. I dont have clue so any help here would be greatly appreciated?

Advertisement