Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia....questions

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My Boyfriend and I are planning on applying for WHV for Australia for this time next year as he is just finishing his apprenticeship and should have this completed by the end of this year all going well...its hard to call considering the downturn in the construction industry if this will actually happen but we hope to head off nex feb/March

How soon should we apply for the WHV?

Also i have a degree in Business studies and would hope to work in the accounting sector when we get out there- I have been told that visa's are easier to get when you have a qualification is this true?

We hope to have about 4-5 k each heading out there with the hope of starting working immediatley out there and travelling later on- Would this be enough money for the short term out there? we have friends we would be staying with starting out- But we just wanted other peoples opinions on this?

Is the construction industry dead out there? Its hard to Know what to expect but hey it cant be any worse than here at the moment....

I would love to hear your opinions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

1. You have 12 months to enter Australia after your visa is granted, takes a couple of weeks from applying to being granted the visa.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

2. Not being blunt but you dont need a degree to get WHV. WHV's are very straight forward...

3. 4-5K each either euro or dollars is loads of money to get set up and working

4. The construction Industry is far from dead...

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doop wrote: »
    1. You have 12 months to enter Australia after your visa is granted, takes a couple of weeks from applying to being granted the visa.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

2. Not being blunt but you dont need a degree to get WHV. WHV's are very straight forward...

3. 4-5K each either euro or dollars is loads of money to get set up and working

Have fun!
    1. It takes a couple of hours, not weeks
    2. Degree makes it no easier to get a WHV.
    3. 4-5k is leaving it a little tight imo. Remember the exchange has dropped
    4. Construction industry is more than healthy in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

The amount of time the visa takes depends how much demand they have no harm in giving yourself a few weeks....

Mellor wrote: »
    4-5k is leaving it a little tight imo. Remember the exchange has dropped

Well considering it takes most people who arrive out here 2/3 weeks to find work... lets even say a month for arguments sake... I dont know what way you're living if you think $10,000 (lets even go with dollars) is a little tight for two people to live on for a MONTH !!

:eek:

I'll have the penthouse in the Crown thanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭owenmul

does anyone know exactly how long it takes from start to finish to be granted a visa(just say doops post) and exactly how much it costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

owenmul wrote: »
    does anyone know exactly how long it takes from start to finish to be granted a visa(just say doops post) and exactly how much it costs?

There is no exact time frame. But it should be with 24-48 hours. The price is AUD $230 so around 150 Euro.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/working-holiday.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭owenmul

m@cc@ wrote: »
    There is no exact time frame. But it should be with 24-48 hours. The price is AUD $230 so around 150 Euro.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/working-holiday.htm

wow:eek:, i was looking at canadian and american visas before and they took like 3 months, i'm glad to hear they dont take ages!! and they're away cheaper too!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well considering it takes most people who arrive out here 2/3 weeks to find work... lets even say a month for arguments sake... I dont know what way you're living if you think $10,000 (lets even go with dollars) is a little tight for two people to live on for a MONTH !!
    Where did I say they'll spend it all in a month. You obvious aren't very good at planning ahead if you don't see the need to have some in the account in case you go travelling or even worse, have to look for a new job (its common enough).

4.5k is around 6.5-7k dollars. Between hostels, a bond and a months worth of drinking you might spend half of that. Which is fine if you are going to have work solid of the next 11 months. But most people take time to travel. Or start with temp or part time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mellor wrote: »
    Where did I say they'll spend it all in a month. You obvious aren't very good at planning ahead if you don't see the need to have some in the account in case you go travelling or even worse, have to look for a new job (its common enough).

4.5k is around 6.5-7k dollars. Between hostels, a bond and a months worth of drinking you might spend half of that. Which is fine if you are going to have work solid of the next 11 months. But most people take time to travel. Or start with temp or part time work.

And then there are others who just piss up it up against a wall :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eljerro

Oh great thanks for that-

4-5 k euro- will have to do im afraid needs must

but we will cross that bridge when we come to it

im more interested in getting the visas etc sorted first

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 golucky

Can I get some advice on this? I keep running into conflicting information.

Im a quantity surveyor with 2 years experience.

If I go to Aus on a WHV will I be able to get any work as a QS? Is there any work available for me or would employers prefer people who can stay longer than 6 months at any one job?

My friends are going to Perth to work for the council does anyone know what the job market is like there?

And if I cant get employment as a QS, what is the job market like in Australia right now for people with a WHV? What kind of work is available?

Thanks,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've recently returned from a 5 week hol visit to Oz (mainly east coast and also Tassie). Along the way I met plenty of graduates including Irish and from our discussions, many are unhappy with employment prospects, conditions or opportunities. I sensed many were working for peanuts and in positions well below their capabilities. The dissappointment was probably to some extent offset by the adventure of being in Oz? However I wasalso disappointed at the number of employment notices seen in many areas offering 'work for accomodation'.

On the money side, whatever the reason, Oz is expensive and € 4 k will not last long if you wish to stay in nice accopmodation, eat proper food and have a few drinks. Of course staying in hostels etc will stretch budgets, but believe me when it comes for charging for anything, few will beat Ozzies.

There is much evidence of economic slow downs, Ozzies appear to be in denial, so I would urge you to do plenty of research.

When I finished college I went to Europe and nothing I saw in Oz would make me change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

many are unhappy with employment prospects, conditions or opportunities. I sensed many were working for peanuts and in positions well below their capabilities.

Cant see why they would be angry... if they are on a WHV then they would be viewed as casual workers....

they should take their peanuts and be grateful..

Its true that from a WHV you can get a professional job but as of late you would usually have to show some commitment to the job like maybe asking for sponsorship. Usually to be sponsored you need a qualification and at least a few years of relevant experience.

It costs a lot of money to advertise a job vacancy... doesn't make much sense to hand out good jobs to just anybody and then have advertise every 6 months.

There is much evidence of economic slow downs, Ozzies appear to be in denial, so I would urge you to do plenty of research.

Are you serious? There are definitely more jobs available this year than any month last year..

Plus unemployment has fallen back to something like 5.8 %

and by the way its not Ozzies!! but Aussies

Advertisement