Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightscribe

• 22-02-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've been looking for lightscribe dvds - tried all the local computer stores in Listowel and Tralee and not one of them have any in stock! They all gave the same answer "Yes we normally stock them, but don't have any at the moment"

I'm specifically looking for a couple of spindles of 50 as I don't need the jewel cases. I know I can buy them online but have never used some of the brands that are on offer (Datasafe, Ridisc) etc. and the Verbatim seem to only be sold in boxes of 10 jewel case.

Have any of you used those brands and what was your experience with them?

Can't believe that I can't walk into a store and buy them! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The brand and the manufacturer are two different things. Most Lightscribe DVD's I've seen sold in Dublin are manufactured by CMC Magnetics. That includes Verbatim.

If it is non critical Data, to give away, then RiDisc and Datasafe will do.

Maxell sell 10x Lightscribe DVD's in a blisterpack, again, manufactured by CMC Magnetics, available from various Dublin IT stores, like Peats and IT Direct.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

http://www.discs.ie

Have used them before, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

Thanks Amalgam.

The dvds are required to make a fundraising memento dvd for our local kids drama group. As they are being sold the quality is important so I'm reluctant to trust a brand I don't know or that might fail.

The reason I was going with lightscribe was that:
    I have a lightscribe burner :p
    The dvd that was produced by another source last year had adhesive labels on them which caused problems for some people by peeling off - in some cases inside the dvd player!
    I've been quoted ridiculous prices for outsourcing the printing of the dvds eg, direct inkjet printing

I've gone to a lot of trouble with the presentation of the dvd case, production etc., but unfortunately it looks like I'll be handwriting the labels :(

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    http://www.discs.ie

Have used them before, very good.

Thanks Kinetic. That was one of the sites I looked at over the weekend. The Ridisc is a double edged sword for me - I don't know the brand and have never used it before so don't know how reliable it is but the price is attractive and would mean less outlay for the kiddies group.

JulesInKy, just to give you an overview, the following website seller shows the 'Media Code' (manufacturer) alongside the brands sold, the vast majority are CMC Magnetics.

http://www.nierle2.com/en/article_category/46/Lightscribe.html

I've used svp.co.uk before, but like any UK retailer, you'll get stung for P&P for bulky items to Ireland.

svp.co.uk - Lightscribe:

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/consumables/blank-dvdr/lightscribe-dvdr/1/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I used RiDisc myself, never a problem with them.

Just to say, the 'blister pack' sold in Dublin is Memorex, not Maxell..

10x DVD Lightscribe for 6.50-6.99, typically.

How many do you need, JulesInKy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

How many are you looking to print?
    Lightscribe is pretty slow if you've a lot to do on one burner.

I only need to do 20 - this particular job would only be done twice a year (two different age groups producing their own shows) I'm providing the labour and "skills" free of charge. Recorded and edited the video, designed the sleeve etc. They were being suckered price-wise for poor quality production so I volunteered. This is my first time producing the DVD for them so I've got most of the hard work done already as regards layout, templates etc for future jobs. Huge learning curve, but fun and the kids are great craic.

The time spent burning doesn't bother me really as due to health issues I spend the better part of my time at my computer. Sure, tis for a good cause :D

I think I might chance the Ridisc. I shouldn't have visited so many websites - too many options, all those purdy colours LOL.

Advertisement