Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne or brisbane?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi

Im an newly qualified accountnant and my boyf is a kitchen fitter.
    I'm traveling to oz in sept and from reading the threds here it seems that these two places will have the most work. can any advise which to choose?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

You'll get a lot of varying opinions here from people who've had different experiences in the cities, some even recommending one over the other when they haven't even been to both, or had a personal experience in one place that sways their decision.

So in conclusion, go to Brisbane because its better than Melbourne... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Have you checked out the state of jobs for your professions in both cities? Some people I know are finding it hard to get jobs in Brisbane so it's worth keeping in mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I personally do not like Brisbane as a city. My parents live there & so do go there quite often (or did when I was at home) Now there are fine people everywhere, but as a really broad generalisation Brisbane is a "bit up itself" It does have warmer weather though as it's in the sub-tropics.

Melbourne is more old school & has a lot more culture. There is a great atmosphere there. Now I was born in Sydney & so I should not like Melbourne (it's the Dublin/Cork thing) but I have always found it a really nice place. The weather is not as good but then nothing like living here in Ireland.

Stuff it .... go to Sydney!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

CabanSail wrote: »
    I personally do not like Brisbane as a city. My parents live there & so do go there quite often (or did when I was at home) Now there are fine people everywhere, but as a really broad generalisation Brisbane is a "bit up itself" It does have warmer weather though as it's in the sub-tropics.

You're the first person I've ever heard say that! I've only visited Sydney and Melbourne for a few days at a time, but people I've come across who know all 3 cities equally have thought the opposite to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I haven’t been to Brisbane but I have lived in Melbourne for nearly a year now and love it here. 99% of my friends here are Australian (as I don’t live in St.Kilda ;)) and I really don’t find it stuck up here at all. There are a lot of hipster types though because there is always another cool bar or cafe opening and they like to try and go to the newest places but it really is a great place. Oh yea trust me after a summer here in Australia a little bit of cold weather occasionally is welcome and coming from Ireland its not really that cold in Melbourne anyway.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Thanks guys
    I think i'll just do come major job searching before i go and try to suss out which has more jobs. I know im gonna go to both cities anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Brisbane is a warm, Tropical, big country town, but ita alrite
    Melbourne is COLD, Melbourne has Penguins:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

CabanSail wrote: »
    Backpackers aren't really going to be exposed or even aware of the private school / sailing club snobbery. Brisbane on the face of it is actually quite rough, you have to scrape beneath the surface to find the snobbery.

I've lived in all three cities (Bris,Syd,Mel) and my take on it would be:
    Bris - Chilled out, hot weather (but no beaches in the city) but quiet
    Mel - Have to work at finding your fun but it's more interesting than Sydney culturally, colder than the other two but beaches are close to the city.
    Syd - Non-stop partying if you want it, always something on, hundreds of city beaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 T2912

i've lived in melbourne,sydney,perth,adelaide and townsville which is north qld so spent a bit of time in brisbane and have to say go where you think you have best place of getting job or if you know anyone in any of places that can you help you out.

All of the cities have pros and cons, brisbane does get a bit humid and when it rains it really rains but sure thats nothing to irish people - here you know it'll stop. melbourne is more like home with 4 seasons in one day sometimes - again nothing new to us!

Just be aware that whatever city you choose it may take you a while to find a job, things have definitely tightened here in last 12/18 months but doesnt seem to be as bad as home

good luck with it!

Advertisement