Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little advice, newbie!

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This weekend coming I'm off to Petersburg to do the mountain skills course. Just wondering about the boots I'll need. I picked up a pair of Meindl Softline Ultra GTX in TK MAXX for 70 odd Euro, but I don't want to ruin them unless they're properly up to the job? I think they're a B grade Meindl. Would these be fit for mountain skills course, for Petersburg, Twelves Bens etc, for boggy approachs as well as the hills and mountains. Like I say I'd prefer to buy another boot if I'm going to end up destroying these from improper use.

Any thoughts or suggestions folks?

ATB,

John

Suggestions on win and waterproof jacket and trousers would be good too, weather forecast isn't the best I'm told. Off buying tomorrow in Galway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

They seem fine to me anyway, try to wear them around the place before your course so they're broken in though. A pair of gaiters are invaluable on any wet/boggy/muddy/snowy walks too. As for the waterproof stuff, once it's gore-tex it will be fine. Expensive to buy first day but it outlasts and outperforms anything else I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

They look like fine boots for what you'll be doing!

Yeah, go for something with Gore Tex, as the above comment says, it is expensive but it will never let you down and it lasts for years. I have a Berghaus Tasman Paclite jacket and its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

try tk-max for gore-tex stuff. sometimes you will will find some there at good prices. mate of mine got a musto goretex jacket there for 50 quid this week. you dont have to be gouged to outfit yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks for the replies :) That will save me 200 Euro today anyhow! I'll try TK Maxx again before I hit the outdoors shops, got a fairly big list from Petersburg to complete :eek:

Ended up buying a Northface jacket with a detachable fleece, Berghaus wind and waterproof trousers, and a Regatta 45 litre rucksack, among a fair few other bits and pieces :eek: Very glad I didn't have to buy extra boots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Hope the course goes well, post back and let us know how you get on!!

I sure will. Am looking forward to it now. The weather isn't meant to be promised so good but not a lot we can do about that, just have to make the best of it! Must remember to bring the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah, some of the best walks I've had have been in strong winds and 20 meter visibility. :)

Best of luck, mate.

Thought I'd share a few photos of our time out of the centre and on the hill. I had a fantastic day. Learned a bit about reading maps properly, distances, timing, recognising hill features, equipment, some of the risks out on the hill, all basic stuff but we're not all experts, got to start somewhere :)

upperloughmask.jpg

top2.jpg

home.jpg

weather.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

By the way now that you're back, it's worth waxing your boots every so often, try this stuff.
    Even with the gore tex lining the leather and fabric still needs to be taken care off and over time you'll wear down the lining.
    Trust me, take care of the boots and they'll last you years.

• Advertisement

I got a can of wet proof from the Great Outdoors, as they also sell the type of boots I was wearing. One tip I did get on the course was using a toothbrush (old one obviously, lol) to work vaseline into the stitching of boots, helps preserve it.

Am on the look out for a full leather pair of Meindls going cheap, I know, hens teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

John out of interest. Are the Photos looking down on the Upper Mask from Ben levy/Mount Gable.

Esroh wrote: »
    John out of interest. Are the Photos looking down on the Upper Mask from Ben levy/Mount Gable.

Yes, that's exactly where we were :)

Advertisement