Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back boiler removal

• 22-02-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

i have just removed a solid fuel back bolier (from in the fire place) from a system where a oil boiler and solid fuel boiler where linked together heating both the water tank and the radiators. There is a pump out in the shed where the oil burner is and there is another pump in at the side of where the back boiler was which is controlled by a stat mounted on a 1 " pipe that used to flow into the back boiler. The question I need help with is do I need to remove this pump at the side of the back boiler and what do I do with the flow in and flow return pipes that used to go to the back boiler do I cap them or bridge the two pipes together. done a little bit of searching on the internet but they mostly only talk about the old pipes on the back boiler and not to blank them off if back boiler still in place. thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

mick111112 wrote: »
    i have just removed a solid fuel back bolier (from in the fire place) from a system where a oil boiler and solid fuel boiler where linked together heating both the water tank and the radiators. There is a pump out in the shed where the oil burner is and there is another pump in at the side of where the back boiler was which is controlled by a stat mounted on a 1 " pipe that used to flow into the back boiler.

The question I need help with is do I need to remove this pump at the side of the back boiler and what do I do with the flow in and flow return pipes that used to go to the back boiler do I cap them or bridge the two pipes together. done a little bit of searching on the internet but they mostly only talk about the old pipes on the back boiler and not to blank them off if back boiler still in place. thanks .

I had the same thing in my house after I moved in.........that was the day modernising it to 20th century standards,don't start on 21st century yet!.........oh,where was I?

Mmmmmmm.......remove the pump at side of firplace? Depends if the pump on outside boiler is powerful enough to pump around the house.....probably not as seeing as there was the 2nd pump at fireplace (cos there were 2 heating sytems in the house--I've just answered my own question!).
    So, the pump outside should be well able (if its strong enough) to pump all over house without needing the 2nd one. Or replace the outside one with a stronger one.

The two pipes at firplace should be bridged together, don't cap them as this will create a "dead end" in the heating system. So joining them together will increase the hot water flow around the house.

Also, trace to see if there are any other pipes around the fireplace that join onto the heating system. You never know there may be a disaster waiting to happen, if you disconnect the pump. So be on the safe side and account for all heating pipes so you are familiar with the system fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mick111112

thanks for that advise embracingLife, I was thinking that was what needed to be done but just needed confirmation. Some horror storys on the internet have made me decided to have a plumber call out for a look. thanks again as it is nice to know whats going on even if a plumber is going to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Your welcome, old buddy,old pal! Anytime :cool:

Advertisement